2012 Oil change / type question
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Oil change / type question

crv|oc Rank: Member

New 2012 Black CRv EX - Oil Change Question.

Hi, I have had several Accords and one Civic, this is my first Crv, and really like it. Have had it for a week.
    Question, was not sure where to post it, does this thing use synthetic? Can I run synthetic, or is it just a waste of money. I 2011 Rav4, and get nervous with every oil change at dealer, because it says dino, and I always have to specify, who know what the mechanic really puts in there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

synthetic is an excellant choice. but IMHO.. dont go by the oil change reminder. On my 2008 if i went by the reminder I would not be changeing the oil for 8-10k miles. I use Mobil1 and change every 5-6k. Overkill by some opinions but in my mind worth it.

Dave,
    Thanks, that is what I was thinking.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    I just take mine to the dealership when the maintenance reminder tells me it is time. Use Honda oil, think they are now recomending 0W-20W. I have had 13 of the 4 cyl Hondas and "0" problems with the motors!! Expect the same good service from the 2012!!
    25 Year Honda Owner
    My Other Ride Is A Ridgeline

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    If you do a search on here, you will see many discussions on everyones opinion on oil changes,lol

Quote Originally Posted by 25 Year Honda Owner View Post
    I just take mine to the dealership when the maintenance reminder tells me it is time. Use Honda oil, think they are now recomending 0W-20W. I have had 13 of the 4 cyl Hondas and "0" problems with the motors!! Expect the same good service from the 2012!!
    I know, sometimes you can drive yourself nuts. I just traded in my other car, had 224000 miles on it, changed the oil every 5km with reg oil, no problems.

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 25 Year Honda Owner View Post
    Use Honda oil, think they are now recommending 0W-20W.
    I think you will find that any 0W-20 is synthetic (group III)

Honda MIGHT sell a semi-synth Honda-branded 0W-20 oil....
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

Never buy a car you can't push.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1959 View Post
    synthetic is an excellant choice. but IMHO.. dont go by the oil change reminder. On my 2008 if i went by the reminder I would not be changeing the oil for 8-10k miles. I use Mobil1 and change every 5-6k. Overkill by some opinions but in my mind worth it.
    Good advice. I do the same. And change the filter at the same time. No time to worry about spending another $4 on a filter.

I change my own oil & filter . on a 2012 C.R. V. I put in 4.2 quarts of oil when changing. Not up to full mark . So I mark dipstick where oil is at on dip stick [Small mark with a hack saw] Then I can tell if oil is low... Works for me...............

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbuff2 View Post
    I think you will find that any 0W-20 is synthetic (group III)

Honda MIGHT sell a semi-synth Honda-branded 0W-20 oil....

Genuine Honda/Acura 0W20 in bulk and drums are synthetic blend. Cases are offered in both synthetic blend and full synthetic. Due to the stringent requirements of JAMA for a 0W20 viscosity grade, the synthetic blend product is SO close to a full synthetic it isn't even funny. The typical "synthetic blend" for most manufacturers will range from 3% to 25%, Genuine Honda synthetic blend is off the charts in that respect.

I suggest Genuine Honda 0W20 Synthetic Blend and following the MM in your vehicle.

IF you aren't going to use Genuine Honda, do make sure that you either select a 0W20 Full Synthetic (API SN) or a 0W20 Synthetic Blend that meets/exceeds the Honda specification (JAMA). Changing your oil more often than the maintenance minder indicates, is purely wasteful of your time and money and our resources. The MM is set to a conservative level, following it is more than acceptable - it is recommended.
    2000 Taffeta White 2WD LX and 2012 Opal Sage Metallic 2WD EX-L Navi

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements