Rear Brakes 2007 CRV
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear Brakes 2007 CRV

crv|oc Rank: Freshman

Rear Brakes 2007 CRV

Rear brakes are making a scraping noise when applied so thought I would check it out. Pulled off one wheel and just as mentioned on this topic last year it was impossible to remove the caliper but am able to lubricate the slide pins as I have done before.
    I have done my own brake work all my life and the front ones on this car are a piece of cake. It really annoys me that I cannot remove the rear calipers to remove the pads.
    So thinking I might have to bite the bullet and pay labor I first priced out parts. Napa's best rotors and pads are $90.09 for everything including tax. Checked a few local garages and they want $160.00 for labor so it would cost $250.00 going that route.
    Actually the rotors look in pretty nice condition and the only pad that I can see (outside one) looks like over 1/2 of its original thickness.
    When talking to Napa today they said the reason I cannot get the calipers off is that the entire brake assembly has to be unbolted from the frame on that make and model . He looked it up while I was on the phone with him . My complete service manual does not state that. It shows slipping them out same as the front ones.
    Only about 55K km on it and front brakes are in excellent condition . Normally front brakes are the first to be serviced but not in this case.

Seeing as I have put the wheel back on just before I started this message could someone tell me how much of a job it is to remove the whole works from the frame and what metric size the nuts/bolts are. .

Oh yes , I checked the distant Honda dealer and they want exactly double for everything, parts and labor.
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Member
    The front caliper pivots on the top bolt. The rear doesn't pivot. You just have to remove the top bolt, that the front one pivots on and pull it straight out. You must also unclamp the brake line from the bracket, as well. *You need to hold the slide pin, while taking the bolt out.

Quote Originally Posted by karazy View Post
    The front caliper pivots on the top bolt. The rear doesn't pivot. You just have to remove the top bolt, that the front one pivots on and pull it straight out. You must also unclamp the brake line from the bracket, as well. *You need to hold the slide pin, while taking the bolt out.
    Like I said in my original message front ones are a piece of cake. I have had them off of this car as easy as any other make .
    I have done disc brakes on many cars over 50 years . Never had a problem until the rear brakes of this one . With both upper and lower caliper bolts removed the caliper just will not come off the rotor. It comes out a little way , barely far enough to lubricate the slide pins . Yes , of course I removed the brake line bracket bolt just in case I would have been able to remove the caliper. I just hate to pay the big bucks at a garage for doing breaks which are normally such and easy job so I hope somebody here can help me.
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    You have a PM.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Name:  crv rear caliper.PNG
Views: 6826
Size:  106.2 KB

Looking at a service manual, it should come off. Must be frozen/rusted/etc. into place. Both rear wheels the same way?
    Last edited by jreagan; 01-12-2012 at 08:43 AM.

No . . there is nothing frozen or rusted . I can move it back barely far enough to lubricate the slider pins and I can wiggle it a lot sideways in both directions . I can "almost" get the outer pad out but cannot see the condition of the inner pad which I feel is the one that is causing the noise. There is something on the inside that is sticking into the hole in the piston in the caliper. I suspect something to do with the parking brake but the diagrams and instructions in the manual don't mention anything about how to deal with that.
    Yes . . .before someone asks . . I do have the parking brake released when trying to remove those calipers.
    I have the same diagrams in my complete service manual as have been posted here and has been discussed on a couple forums several times last year. Those instructions do not apply to my particular vehicle.
    I sure hate to be beat on something that should be so simple to service.
    I am at the point where I feel that I will just have to drive it until everything in the rear brakes assembly completely self destructs due to lack of being able to do preventative maintenance and take it to a dealer and pay their big rip off price to replace everything. .
    At least I can still service the front brakes very easily and as they supply most of the braking action I should still be able to stop if the back ones quit altogether.
    This certainly gives me second thoughts about ever buying a Honda again . I bought it used with very low mileage because I simply could not afford a new one. Never had a vehicle that I could not service rear brakes on whether being disks and pads or drums and shoes.
    If I could afford a new one with full warranty and deal it off every time before the warranty expires then the Honda dealer could put up with odd ball service procedures like this one has turned out to be.

Thanks for everyones's help . I really do appreciate it but after pulling wheels off and attempting this service for the fourth time between this year and last year I see no sense in going at it the 5th time unless I get some information that I feel certain would be the cause of the problem.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Did you try using a big C-clamp to compress the piston back into the caliper? The faces of the pads and rotors may be grooved causing it to catch. If you do this and get it off make sure you put the one side back together before doing the other side or you will pop the piston out. After doing both sides this way make sure you pump the brake pedal to push the pistons back out until you have a firm pedal.

Of course I would compress the piston back with a C clamp and a piece of wood across it when putting it back together just like I have done with about a hundred brake jobs I have done over the years but how in the world can you do that if you can't get the caliper off in the first place ?

You might want to try putting your hands on the back of the caliper and squeeze it against the rotor (sorta like using the rotor as a block of wood). It may take a lot of strength and a lot of squeezing, but you may be able to force the piston in enough to get the caliper off.

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Buy a brake cleaner and spray the caliper,rotors and brake pads with it. Wiggling and pulling with a help of a rubber mallet should do the job. Follow post #5.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements