Gen 2 Clutch Bleeding
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gen 2 Clutch Bleeding

crv|oc Rank: Member

Gen 2 Clutch Bleeding

I just tried bleeding the clutch on my 2006 CRV and had no luck. I have a mityvac bleeder that does a great job bleeding the brakes. I did the brakes on the CRV first with great success. I was able to find the elusive bleeder screw on the Gen 2 slave cylinder and it was indeed a PITA to get to. I found the easiest way was to take the tupperware off the bottom of the car and attack it from the bottom. I sprayed some PB Blaster on the 8mm bleeder screw and cracked it. I put the mityvac on the bleeder and opened the bleeder. Nothing came out. I unscrewed it some more. Nothing came out. I totally unscrewed the bleeder screw and nothing came out. Is my slave cylinder clogged with gunk or do you need to depress the clutch to get brake fluid to come out of the bleeder? My wife was not around so I was not able to have a helper press the pedal. The clutch was fine before the attempted bleed and it's still okay so no air got into the system. Any suggestions? Should I just try and bleed it the old fashioned way?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Don't know why you had the problems you saw.

I bled my clutch the old fashioned way by removing the 90 degree rubber intake hose (then you can see the bleeder, straight down).

I simply loosened the bleeder, and connected a longish piece of tubing into a collection bottle on the floor of the garage. It came out slowly enough so that I could push the clutch myself without a helper, then fill the reservoir.

My car is due for it's second brake and clutch fluid change this year...
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

Thanks for the tip. It was pretty easy to get to from the bottom once the plastic cladding was removed (that was a pain). I did not try and remove the intake hose but I just looked at it and, unless I'm looking at the wrong thing, the slave cylinder is kinda off to the left of the intake hose (certainly not straight down). Think you could take a quick picture of what you're taking about?

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    You are correct, the slave cylinder is to the left of the intake hose,

but the BLEEDER is "due south" of it. And with the hose removed, you have room to use your hand to push the tube onto it.

As I said, I used an Extra Long tube so that I could place the waste fluid container on the ground...

I just looked but I didn't take any pics during that operation...

PS: If it makes you feel any better, I wasn't able to reach the bleeder the first attempt. The factory manual said to remove the battery and tray to access the slave cylinder!!!!
    Last edited by Carbuff2; 03-26-2012 at 04:35 PM.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

Just for clarification (thanks for the response by the way) the bleeder nipple is facing the passenger side of the CRV, yes? If you look at the attached link you'll see the orientation that I'm talking about with the diagram of the system. Maybe I'll snap a picture when my wife gets home with the car.

http://www.myhondapartsstore.com/myh...s=&view=normal

7. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements