10w30 OK for a 2011 CRV EX-L 4X4?????????
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10w30 OK for a 2011 CRV EX-L 4X4?????????

crv|oc Rank: Junior

10w30 OK for a 2011 CRV EX-L 4X4?????????

Howdy from Managua Nicaragua!!! We called the local Honda dealership (yes they actually have 1) and they said they do not carry 0W20!!! I have gone to a few other places and nope, no 1 has it!!! And being the type of liquid it is--I can't order it in!!

So they told my wife they use 10W30 synthetic here in its place. Is that going to be ok??? I doubt very much their garage staff is trained Honda mechanics!! So should 10W30 suffice, or what else would be better?? 5W30 If they have it????

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Do the have 5W20?

10W30 maybe too think. If you can't get 5W20 i would go 5W30 if they have it.

According to my wife--She speaks Spanish--I do not---they just have 10w30!!! If ya do not know Nicaragua (central America, Just North of Costa Rica--I just mention that because I have had soo many people think it is in Africa) It is hot hot hot here!! The coolest it seems to get is the high teens (in Celsius) and the high are always in thew 30's and come Arpil and May, it gets into the 40C's!! Good times!! Thanks

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Considering that's all that's available I would use it. I also wouldn't worry about it. I would guess you see a large assortment of cars on the road that are obviously getting by on 10w30.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    That's a lot of exclamation points (!), flames9, but whaaps is correct in his advice: you don't need to worry about it.

Aside from what's in the stuff, there are two basics considerations when it comes to motor oil: viscosity and pumpability. (Some would argue they are the same thing, and it's true they are closely related.)

I'm not surprised that you can't find 0W-20 weight motor oil in Nicaragua. As you probably know, the "0W" designation refers to the viscosity of motor oil -- specifically, it's ability to flow quickly -- at very low temperatures. Consequently, there would be little call for a 0W weight oil in Nicaragua. And, more importantly, the difference between a 0W weight oil and a 10W weight oil at 60 degrees Farenheit isn't that significant. (Probably on the order of 50 cSt [centistrokes] vs. 70 cSt, if that means anything to you.) In other words, the initial rate of flow isn't that different where you live.

The only other consideration, then, is pumpability. Pumpability refers to how much resistence there is to the flow of oil when the engine is running and up to temperature. Here again, there's not that much difference between a 20 weight oil and a 30 weight oil (on the order of 9 cSt vs. 10.5 cSt) at operating temperature. As a practical matter, the slightly thicker oil may result in slightly poorer fuel mileage because your engine will be working slightly harder to pump the thicker oil.

I don't know what weight oil Honda recommends for Nicaragua, but I'd be very surprised if it's not either 5W-20 or 5W-30. Consequently, since the difference in pumpability between 5W-30 and 10W-30 is virtually nil when your engine is up to operating temperature, I wouldn't be at all concerned about using either weight oil where you live.

Finally, as I've written here before, I've been running a mixture of 5W-20 and 5W-30 in my '09 Accord (pretty much the same engine as your CR-V) for years. I don't have to deal with extremely low temperatures, and I want the additional high-temperature/high shear (HT/HS) viscosity protection of a 5W-30 when the ambient temperature is in the 90s F. Essentially, you'll now be doing the same thing.

Sorry about the !!!!!!!!!!--Not sure why, but when I write on the interent--the !!!!!!! fly right and left out of my keyboard,lol

Many Thanks for taking time to respond, makes me feel better. Toyota's are the #1 car on the road here in Nicaragua, prob followed by Hyundia and Kia. The only Honda one sees on a constant base is the CRV. And yes they even have the new 2012 here in showrooms and have seen them on the road.

Many Thanks, I truly appreciate( See no exclamation marks, but I had to go back and erase them,lol)

crv|oc Rank: Member
    I am older gent not sure if question was addressed. Here it is, synthetic blend oil used it in 2011 Honda crv-exl i believe its 10-30 blend. Honda suggest FULL SYNTHETIC WHICH COSTS $70.00
    PER OIL CHANGE.Only 1000 miles on CRV 4 months old, Firestone Auto Care charged me only 19.00 for oil change I do change oil on all cars every 3-4 months. Looking forward to your advice
    Respectfully
    Last edited by primo; 03-31-2012 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by primo View Post
    I am older gent not sure if question was addressed. Here it is, synthetic blend oil use it in 2011 Honda crv-exl i believe its 10-30 blend. Honda suggest FULL SYNTHETIC WHICH COSTS $70.00
    PER OIL CHANGE.Only 1000 miles on CRV 4 months old, Firestone Auto Care charged me only 19.00 for oil change I do change oil on all cars every 3-4 months. Looking forward to your advice
    Respectfully

You really should start your own thread, as it has nothing to do with mine--ad that way people see your question.

But why change ur oil if you only have 1000 miles on it???? if its a N. American CRV the oil should be 0W20. Probelm I am facing is that here in Nicaragua I can NOT get 0W20 oil!!

I do not belive their is a regular 0W20 oil, its eith synthetic or a blend. I doubt very much the firestone garage used a 0W20 in ur case for $20!! I just follow what the message minder tells me to do! No I dont wait till it gets to 0%, but I dont change it every 3000 miles like some do,lol

I just called the parts guy back in Maryland where we bought our CRV--He figured 10W30 would be too thick. He said in comparison between 10w30 and 0W20-----the 0W20 is thin like water. Have phoned and phoned around here and no 1 caries 0W20 or even a 5W20!! Good times

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by flames9 View Post
    I just called the parts guy back in Maryland where we bought our CRV--He figured 10W30 would be too thick. He said in comparison between 10w30 and 0W20-----the 0W20 is thin like water. Have phoned and phoned around here and no 1 caries 0W20 or even a 5W20!! Good times
    flames9, as I'm sure you already know (and I learned today), the average minimum ambient temperature in Managua, Nicaragua between April and Sept is 86 degrees Farenheit. The temperature rarely falls below 80 degrees, ever. Consequently, the likelihood that you will find a source for 0W-20 weight motor oil in Nicaragua is nil. Besides, given the conditions under which you will be operating your CR-V, IMHO you should be running at least a 5W-30 weight motor oil.

Moreover, it may not have occurred to you yet, but when you exported your CR-V from the United States, your warranty with American Honda Motor Company ended. (If you doubt that, you can call 800 999-1099 and discuss this with an American Honda representative.) Therefore, rather than continuing to query Maryland parts representatives for sources of 0W-20 weight oil, were I you I'd begin to focus on what your local (Managua) Honda dealer recommends, ensure that you know that person's name and telephone number as a future point of contact, and use what he or she recommends. You can also discuss this with a Nicaraguan representative of the Honda Motor Company at 011-505-2-666468.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements