Oil Life Indicator Not at 100% After Oil Change
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Life Indicator Not at 100% After Oil Change

crv|oc Rank: Member

Oil Life Indicator Not at 100% After Oil Change

I just took my CRV for it's second oil change last night and for whatever reason the oil life indicator is still at the same % as it was before I took it in. I called the dealer and they said that the mechanic must have forgotten to reset it when they did the oil change. Does this seem like a reasonable explaination? I figure they couldn't have forgotten to do the oil change and this seems logical enough, but assumed that the system relied on sensors and was not the type of thing that needed to be reset.

Additionally, is it naive to get my oil changed every 5,000 miles? I've been reading posts on here and it sounds like most people do use the oil life as a guage. My oil life was still 60% when I brought it in but I have been raised to bring the car in ever 5,000 miles. I'm a bit on the protective side since I would like to drive this car for a long time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonDriver View Post
    but assumed that the system relied on sensors and was not the type of thing that needed to be reset.
    There are no sensors involved with the oil life indicator. There is no physical monitoring of the oil quality or level. The indicator must be reset following an oil change. The oil life indicator is a mathematical algarythm programmed into the PCM to calculate the rate at which the oil is being degraded based on various engine operating parameters. This is designed to allow the operator to base their oil change intervals on their operating habits rather than a strict mileage based interval.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonDriver View Post
    Additionally, is it naive to get my oil changed every 5,000 miles? I've been reading posts on here and it sounds like most people do use the oil life as a guage. My oil life was still 60% when I brought it in but I have been raised to bring the car in ever 5,000 miles. I'm a bit on the protective side since I would like to drive this car for a long time.
    The environmentalists will tell you that you are wasting money and resources and contributing to global pollution and carbon emissions.

If you use a motor oil meeting the API SM standard, you will not be hurting anything to wait until the oil life index is at 15% before getting it changed. If you operate in a very dusty environment, or use the absolutely cheapest gasoline you can find, you should probably change it sooner.

If it makes you happy to change it every 5K, you are certainly not hurting the engine by doing so.
    Success is 99% failure
    -Soichiro Honda

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    -Winston Churchill

Motorcycle Riding in West Virginia

Thanks.

Thanks for the response. That was very helpful.

crv|oc Rank: Silver

Excellent Explanation!

Honda Tech, excellent as always.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy. W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Oil info thanx!

HondaTech- Good info on oil. It's hard for us old guys to get used to a 10K
    oil change. If you're old enough (me!) you cut your teeth on 2K.

Question: How do you re-set the oil life indicator?

Pete, '07 EX

Quote Originally Posted by pepollock View Post

Question: How do you re-set the oil life indicator?

Pete, '07 EX

See posts 12 or 13

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/...=5279#post5279

Use the info select button with the key on, but the engine not running, when you pull the oil life display up for viewing.

JD
    Last edited by Honda Tech; 12-03-2007 at 04:13 PM.
    Success is 99% failure
    -Soichiro Honda

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    -Winston Churchill

Motorcycle Riding in West Virginia

crv|oc Rank: Freshman

will resetting oil life also reset other maintenance items

Quote Originally Posted by Honda Tech View Post
    See posts 12 or 13

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/...=5279#post5279

Use the info select button with the key on, but the engine not running, when you pull the oil life display up for viewing.

JD
    Will resetting the oil life indicator also reset other maintenance items programed in the PCM? such as tire rotation? Or will it just reset Oil Life percentage?

oops, never mind

Quote Originally Posted by chivas1 View Post
    Will resetting the oil life indicator also reset other maintenance items programed in the PCM? such as tire rotation? Or will it just reset Oil Life percentage?
    My bad..... just found another thread that covers what I asked and then some, Maintenance Minder Questions (From A Newbie)

Quote Originally Posted by Honda Tech View Post
    The oil life indicator is a mathematical algarythm programmed into the PCM to calculate the rate at which the oil is being degraded based on various engine operating parameters. This is designed to allow the operator to base their oil change intervals on their operating habits rather than a strict mileage based interval.
    Dear all, does anyone has more information about how this mathematical algorithm calculate the oil life? Is it simply based on the mileage that you have driven, or it would actually look into your driving habits and other parameters? For example, if I'm using my CRV for a lot of short trips, would the "Oil Life" meter goes faster than, say, if I drive my CRV mostly on highways?? I'm just curious about how Honda implemented such system. Thanks!

MM info based on driving habits. Family owns 2 Hondas ['08 "V" @ '10 Accord]. @ present, "V" shows 50% based on 5.5K miles driven since last OC; less aggressively driven, mostly highway. Accord shows 60% based on 5.3K miles driven; significant other drives more aggressively, more short trips, city driving. Same oil, same filter.

11 Feb: latest figures - "V" 5.8K/50%, Accord 5.9K/20%.
    Last edited by Kazoo2U; 02-11-2012 at 05:45 PM.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements