Oil Changes on New 2012 CR-V
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oil Changes on New 2012 CR-V

crv|oc Rank: Member

Oil Changes on New 2012 CR-V

Hi All,

Just purchased a new 2WD CR-V EX-L w/ RES last week, and was wondering about oil maintenance. My dealer did state is uses a 0-20w oil, but never mentioned how often to change it, and with what.

I've used a full synthetic oil in my previous vehicles and have had good success. I believe that once you pick an oil to stick with it. What does Honda use out of the factory, and what do you all recommend? I haven't done any research yet on who sells the 0 weight oil, but I"m sure Mobile One which was my brand of choice, would have it.

Is it worth taking it to the dealer for this service?

Thanks again!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Clearwolf View Post
    Hi All,

Just purchased a new 2WD CR-V EX-L w/ RES last week, and was wondering about oil maintenance. My dealer did state is uses a 0-20w oil, but never mentioned how often to change it, and with what.

I've used a full synthetic oil in my previous vehicles and have had good success. I believe that once you pick an oil to stick with it. What does Honda use out of the factory, and what do you all recommend? I haven't done any research yet on who sells the 0 weight oil, but I"m sure Mobile One which was my brand of choice, would have it.

Is it worth taking it to the dealer for this service?

Thanks again!
    Just follow your MM and change the oil when it gets to 15%. that should be around 7,500 to 8,000+/- miles. If you change your own oil, you can get 0W20 which is synthetic, at Walmart for $26 for a 5 quart jug, and a Purolator filter for about $5.

crv|oc Rank: Member
    My "wrench" just came on at 10,000 miles. I tried to take my CR-V in earlier (before wrench and before 15% oil life), and the technician said to wait until the wrench appeared, and it would save me money on oil changes. I was nervous because it hadn't had an oil change yet, but was getting lots of miles. I also went to my dealer's website, and they had a coupon for the 0W-20 oil change.

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by joprust View Post
    My "wrench" just came on at 10,000 miles. I tried to take my CR-V in earlier (before wrench and before 15% oil life), and the technician said to wait until the wrench appeared, and it would save me money on oil changes. I was nervous because it hadn't had an oil change yet, but was getting lots of miles. I also went to my dealer's website, and they had a coupon for the 0W-20 oil change.
    I would say to patronize that dealership...they were actually looking out for your best interest!!! Why not give a shout out to which one it was...?

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Sounds like a good dealer to me.

My sister in law has an 2005 Accord. She had been taking it to the dealership every 3,000 miles because thats what they recommend to her. She had been going there ever since she got the car new.

I took the owners manual from her car and showed her 10,000 miles between oil changes for normal driving for her car last month after hearing about the 3k. She couldn't believe it. Needless to say, she is not going back there anymore.

Your owners manual in the glove box will state the intervals.

7. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements