Oil change with 0W20
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil change with 0W20

crv|oc Rank: Member

Oil change with 0W20

Just did my first oil change on my 2012 CR-V EX-L. Did not do it at the Honda dealer but somewhere I have taken vehicles for years.
    They looked and noticed Honda recommends 0W20 oil, Mobile of this grade retails for about $21 a quart. I got it for $11. I then checked on this grade of oil and found that it goes for upward of $25 a quart and low of about $7 a quart.

Anyone have info on this oil, what to use, what not to use, realistic price to pay, etc.

Thanks,

TK

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

You can buy Mobil1 0w-20 for about $6/quart.

Quote Originally Posted by CRVHawaii View Post
    Just did my first oil change on my 2012 CR-V EX-L. Did not do it at the Honda dealer but somewhere I have taken vehicles for years.
    They looked and noticed Honda recommends 0W20 oil, Mobile of this grade retails for about $21 a quart. I got it for $11. I then checked on this grade of oil and found that it goes for upward of $25 a quart and low of about $7 a quart.

Anyone have info on this oil, what to use, what not to use, realistic price to pay, etc.

Thanks,

TK

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Motor oil is the only reason I venture into Walmart. They always have the best prices on oil.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Mobil and Castrol offer both a synthetic blend and full synthetic 0w20. Other manufacturers offer only a full synthetic 0w20. Honda/Acura 0w20 is manufactured by Phillips 66. You will find a nearly identical product in Phillips 66's flagship oil, Kendall. The most important part is the viscosity and servicing the vehicle when the MM indicates that it is time. You should be able to obtain a high quality 0w20 full synthetic in the $7/quart range.
    2000 Taffeta White 2WD LX and 2012 Opal Sage Metallic 2WD EX-L Navi

OK, that is what I thought.

Thanks folks, I can always get the straight scoop here !!!

Change in oils

I just had the 2nd oil change done. I did not request 0w20, full synthetic, as was done on the 1st so Firestone used 5w30 synthetic blend. My question is, will this do damage to the engine on my 2011 CRV? I read the other posts but they were for 5w20. Should I have the oil changed again to the full synthetic?

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Azhonda, you asked whether 5W-30 weight motor oil will do damage to the engine in your 2011 CR-V. Short answer, no -- your CR-V will run just fine. However, that said, 5W-30 is not the oil weight prescribed by your owner's manual, and therefore it does not conform to your engine warranty requirements. So, if you were to have an engine-related failure, there is the potential, however slight, that the manufacturer could point to your oil weight choice to deny your warranty coverage now or some time in the future. Likely, no; possible, yes.

Now, if I were you, what I'd do is buy a five-qt jug of Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinium or even Motorcraft 0W-20 weight oil -- i.e., the correct weight oil, in other words -- and keep the receipt. I, however, would leave the 5W-30 weight oil in my engine, and use the oil I bought for my next oil change. Problem solved.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Azhonda View Post
    I just had the 2nd oil change done. I did not request 0w20, full synthetic, as was done on the 1st so Firestone used 5w30 synthetic blend. My question is, will this do damage to the engine on my 2011 CRV? I read the other posts but they were for 5w20. Should I have the oil changed again to the full synthetic?
    Assuming you live is AZ and it's summer so you should be fine.In AZ I'd probably go with 5w30 in Late Spring and summer and a 5w20 or 0w20 the rest of the year.Would prefer a full synthetic,though.
    Last edited by rocks; 08-16-2012 at 07:12 AM.
    '13 CR-V EX-L w/NAV AWD White Diamond Pearl/Black
    OEM All Season Floor Mats & Cargo Tray | OEM Vent Visors | Splash Guards | Engine Cover | LEDs
    '13 Lexus GS350 AWD Starfire Pearl White/Black Luxury Pkg | NAV

Rachet & Rocks - THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! Once I show your replies to my husband he might start talking to me again. Also thank you to whomever created this site. It may have saved my marriage.

As other have indicated, you will be fine until your next oil change. However, in the future, I would suggest that you use the oil recommended by Honda for your car: 0w-20. If your local garage doesn't carry 0w-20 then I suggest you pop down to Walmart and pick up 5 quarts of Mobil1 or another brand of 0w-20 and give it to your mechanic for your next oil change. That weight of oil is only (I believe) available as a synthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Azhonda View Post

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements