Removing, disassembling and replacing the clutch pedal assembly on a Gen 3 CR-V
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Removing, disassembling and replacing the clutch pedal assembly on a Gen 3 CR-V

crv|oc Rank: Member

Removing, disassembling and replacing the clutch pedal assembly on a Gen 3 CR-V

I have a 2007 Honda Cr-V 2.2 i-CDTI ES. The car is a UK (right hand drive) car. It recently developed a creaking clutch pedal. Applying grease to those parts I could reach while the clutch pedal assembly was in situ only provided a solution for a few weeks, so I decided to remove and disassemble the clutch pedal assembly so I could clean and grease the moving components. I could not find a documented procedure for doing this so the following is the result of trial and error. If you decide to attempt this it is at your own risk.

To remove the clutch pedal assembly proceed as follows:

1. Move the drivers seat as far back as it will go.
    2. Remove the drivers dashboard undercover, shown here.
    Name:  undercover.jpg
Views: 3953
Size:  44.7 KB
    3. To remove the undercover turn the lock knob by 90 degrees, pull down on the edge nearest you to release the clip, then pull the cover toward the rear of the vehicle.
    4. Remove the drivers dashboard lower cover. Pull the lower edge of the cover toward the rear of the vehicle to release the lower clips, then pull the top of the cover to ward the rear of the vehicle to release the upper clips.
    5. I did not need any tools to remove either cover. The underdash area without the covers is shown here.
    Name:  lower cover removed.jpg
Views: 4364
Size:  47.6 KB
    6. The next picture shows the clutch pedal assembly in situ.
    Name:  clutch pedal assembly in situ.jpg
Views: 6345
Size:  51.4 KB
    It is attached to the bulkhead by three nuts and one bolt. It is attached to the clutch master cylinder by two bolts and by the clevis pin which is secured by a spring clip. All these are shown here.
    Name:  the fasteners.jpg
Views: 3940
Size:  38.0 KB
    The nuts and bolts are all 8mm with a 12mm head. The only difficult parts of removing the clutch pedal assembly are removing the top left bolt and the spring clip, because access is so poor. You will be working lying on the drivers floor pan with you legs outside the vehicle. I show all the tools I needed here.
    Name:  the tools.jpg
Views: 3955
Size:  54.4 KB
    7. Remove the clutch pedal position and clutch interlock switch connectors.
    8. The next step should be removing the spring clip. Whether this is possible depends on which way around the clevis pin has been fitted. If the clevis pin has its head on the right hand side of the vehicle removing the clip at this stage will be impossible because you cant access it. If the clevis pin has its head on the left hand side of the vehicle, remove the spring clip using a flat screwdriver. Then remove the clevis pin.
    9. Remove the two Bolts attaching the master cylinder to the clutch pedal assembly. You will need a socket set with an extension.
    10. Remove the top left hand bolt securing the clutch pedal assembly to the bulkhead. The length of the socket extension is critical here. I used the 3/8 in extension set shown in the picture. The in extension shown above was too long and I could not get access to the bolt with it.
    11. Remove the three nuts securing the clutch pedal assembly to the bulkhead.
    12. If, like me, you could not remove the clevis pin earlier the clutch pedal assembly is still attached to the master cylinder pushrod. You can now gently lift the assembly and rotate it until you can see the clevis locking pin. The master cylinder is hanging on the pneumatic line so be very careful. Remove the clip and the clevis pin.
    13. The only thing preventing removal of the clutch pedal assembly is now the attachment to the cable harness. Cut the tapes holding the plastic clip to the harness with scissors.

Here is the clutch pedal assembly after removal.
    Name:  clutch pedal assembly (top).jpg
Views: 4441
Size:  57.5 KB

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Continued

The following shows the clutch pedal master cylinder hanging on its hydraulic line.
    Name:  clutch master cylinder.jpg
Views: 6118
Size:  46.4 KB
    To disassemble the clutch pedal assembly for cleaning and re-greasing remove: the clutch pedal assistance spring, the plastic housing the nose of the spring fits into and the nylon bush the clevis pin fits through. The spring is not under any great tension and is easily removed with a flat bladed screwdriver. The removed parts are shown here.
    Name:  disassembled parts.jpg
Views: 4331
Size:  56.6 KB
    The clutch pedal assistance spring runs in nylon bushes and its nose is held in a plastic housing. There were signs of very slight wear on the spring. There were signs of wear inside the plastic bush the clevis pin fits through, and this is my current theory as to the source of the creaking noise. If I had a source for a replacement bush I would have replaced it. I settled for polishing inside the bush using Brasso.

Reassembling and replacing the clutch pedal assembly is largely a case of carrying out the previous steps in reverse order. However before you start remove the yellow plastic T shaped cable tie from the clutch pedal assembly and tape it to the cable harness you cut it from.

Things to note are (1) double check against the relevant photo that you have put the assistance spring in the right way around. (2) be very gentle with the master cylinder when mating it with the clutch pedal assembly it is only hanging on the hydralic line (3) when inserting the clevis pin have the head on the left to make removal much easier next time (4) Honda recommend using a new clip rather than reusing the old one (5) remember to re-attach the yellow plastic T shaped cable tie to the clutch pedal assembly before putting the covers back on.

I only carried out this procedure yesterday so I cannot say how long this will cure the clutch pedal creak for but I am feeling optimistic!

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Thanks for that!

Do you think that removing only the clevis pin and bushing, and lubricating them, would stop the creak? Or is the creak source the assistance spring?

Clutch creak is a common Gen2 annoyance as well, and some report that the only fix is to replace the clutch master cylinder.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

It's OK if you disagree with me.
    I can't force you to be right.

Hi

I dont know as I could not duplicate the creak with the assembly off the vehicle. Why not try doing it and report back? My money is on the clevis pin as that is where all the forces are.

I did not replace or disassamble the master cylinder and the creak is gone for now.

Steve

6. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements