Coolant Anti Frezze ???
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coolant Anti Frezze ???

Coolant Anti Frezze ???

what type of anti freeze - coolant do we us on a 2000 crv ?

gorilla

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    I would use the Honda long life antifreeze/coolant type 2, it is premixed and ready to go . ( don't add water )

crv|oc Rank: Member
    is 3.78L (1GAL) type 2 is enough to fill the rad and reservoir?? im planning to flush my 07 crv coolant also
    Last edited by crv_tec; 01-15-2013 at 11:33 AM.

The total capacity of the cooling system is just about 1.6 Gallons. You could just drain out one gallon and refill with new. It is hard to get all of the old coolant out,so a better idea would be to drain out one gallon and drive the car with the heater on to circulate the coolant and then drain and fill another gallon. Be sure to bleed the air out at the bleed fitting.

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    I replaced a little less than 1.5 gallons total, during my recent drain & fill.

I put a little over one gallon in after the system was drained, but added almost a half-gallon during the following week, as the system purged itself of air.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbuff2 View Post
    I replaced a little less than 1.5 gallons total, during my recent drain & fill.

I put a little over one gallon in after the system was drained, but added almost a half-gallon during the following week, as the system purged itself of air.
    Be careful driving around without the system purged properly. If you have air in the system you can overheat the block and blow the headgasket and warp the head. This doesn't always read on the dummy temperature gauge (which doesn't move between about 180 and 220F). Localized boiling caused by an air bubble won't read unless it's by the temperature sensor, so you could be overheating your car and not know it.

It sounds like you personally got away okay, but as a warning to others, make sure you bleed your cooling system properly before you drive your car after a flush. You can badly overheat your engine in very little time if you aren't careful.
    "When's the 240 going to be done?" "Tuesday. Just not sure which Tuesday..."

"I really like going fast. Just go off and meditate in the wind, you know? As corny as it sounds it works and feels good. It's a good way to just let the weight of the world off every once in a while." -James Hetfield

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8695Beaters View Post
    Be careful driving around without the system purged properly.... Localized boiling caused by an air bubble won't read unless it's by the temperature sensor, so you could be overheating your car and not know it.
    You are correct about that danger...

I did it by the Helms manual's direction (drain, then idle until the thermostat opened, then added coolant as the radiator level went down). I have an OBDII reader and the temp (as reported by the PCM) stayed at about 225 degrees while the engine "waited" for the t-stat to get going.

Still, there are always pockets of air that will not be purged until RPMs or bumps in the road drive them through. That's why I re-checked the reservoir every day until it stabilized. I never had to add any more coolant to the radiator itself (though I DID check it a couple of times)

PS, the Type II coolant kept the reservoir VERY clean, I didn't have to clean it at all as I have done with my cars running "traditional" green coolants.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Test your coolant to confirm it is still at a 50/50 mix. After 12 years it's possible that it was topped up a few times with just water. If it's low you may want to pressure test the cooling system for leaks. Fix any leaks and get that mix back to as close to 50/50 as you can.

i need to replace the thermostat.
    going down hills the temp gauge goes below the cold line, but driving in town-flat land freeway or up hills it's at about 1/3 hot.
    do i us a 180 or 195 thermostat on a 2000 crv with 193K ?

gorilla

I would use the Honda part it will come with the rubber gasket that you need. Part # 19301-PAA-306

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements