Timing Chain
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timing Chain

crv|oc Rank: Member

Timing Chain

I have a 2003 crv. I am looking for the timing chain components. Where can I find these for a decent price? Also is that year motor, is it a interference motor?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by american-chevy View Post
    I have a 2003 crv. I am looking for the timing chain components. Where can I find these for a decent price? Also is that year motor, is it a interference motor?
    You didn't break a timing chain did you?

San Leandro Honda Online Parts

I don't know for sure but the odds are, the K24A1 is an interference engine and the VTEC system still fully opens one intake valve even at low rpm (fully opens both at high rpm).

The chain jumped some teeth and the top guide was broken. The engine has 207,000 miles on it and ran good. I would like to just fix it and sell because we replaced it with a pilot. We have too many vehicles. I have the valve cover off and the motor is clean. I tested the compression and still had close to 90 psi in some of the cylinders. But the chain was so loose I just pulled it off the sprokets. I've priced the parts which are pretty high about 500 dollars. I'm just trying to figure out should I repair this engine or replace it from a wrecked crv.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    The chain jumped some teeth and the top guide was broken. The engine has 207,000 miles on it and ran good. I would like to just fix it and sell because we replaced it with a pilot. We have too many vehicles. I have the valve cover off and the motor is clean. I tested the compression and still had close to 90 psi in some of the cylinders. But the chain was so loose I just pulled it off the sprokets. I've priced the parts which are pretty high about 500 dollars. I'm just trying to figure out should I repair this engine or replace it from a wrecked crv.
    I have heard that two teeth is the limit (for jumping teeth) before doing valve damage. Again, I'm not sure because I have no first hand experience, only reading in other forums. BUT, if the chain just jumped a couple of teeth, maybe you got away with it.

I'm guessing that the engine didn't stop dead on you, it just started running badly?
    Last edited by tsmithvt; 04-06-2008 at 12:30 AM. Reason: added question

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Welcome to the forum!

Wow. That's the most miles I have yet heard of on a 2nd gen!
    90 psi seems awfully low for the compression?

Before bothering to spend $500 on parts for what may be a questionable end result, I would call local salvage yards to see what you could get a used engine for.
    99 V 151k miles, 04 V 62k miles - Both red, of course.

Well I got the motor to run again. I replaced the timing chain and ordered all the other timing pieces. I also found the lobes on the exhaust cam to be worn to the internal casting. So I am trying to decide to replace the cams or the engine. It runs ok now so I might just sell it this way and tell the person who wants to buy it what it needs. Has anyone here ever pulled one of these engines? I would like to leave the tranny in place. I would also like to pull it from the top and not out from the bottom.

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Wow. Cams worn down that much? Was this vehicle ran for really long periods between oil changes or wrong viscosity of oil used?
    99 V 151k miles, 04 V 62k miles - Both red, of course.

Super Moderator
    Over at the EOC we have had a couple of reports of the lobes worn down on the exhaust cam at the #1 cylinder. I am wondering if since the Element and Crv used identical cams in 2003 if it is possible that Honda had a bad batch of cams.

Mine have more wear on the sides of the lobe then the top. It seems to run ok since I put a chain in it. I would like to find a set of cams and maybe save this engine but if it gets too costly for parts I'll replace the engine. I did find an engine with 29,000 miles for $1100. I can remember when the chevy 305 engines had the soft cam problem in 1979,they did the same thing. It seems to be a defect with the cams wearing like that,like they were never hardened. Does anyone know what is the difference between the Japan engine and the England?

#1 Exhaust cam worn 2003CR-V

Quote Originally Posted by lizzurd View Post
    Over at the EOC we have had a couple of reports of the lobes worn down on the exhaust cam at the #1 cylinder. I am wondering if since the Element and Crv used identical cams in 2003 if it is possible that Honda had a bad batch of cams.
    I purchesed this car in 2004 with 35000 Km, I complained twice about metallic rattling noise from engine at Honda dealership but they diagnosed at road test as normal powertrain noise. So I did not complain more. Last week I took off valve cover and found it out exhaust camshaft's #1 cam surface worn 0.25mm, that was causing rattling noise from engine. Looks like casting problem or improper surface hardening. The rocker arm's roller surface smooth, not worn. Engine clean, oil change was done at 6000Km. I replaced camshaft, adjusted valves and looks like I have a new engine now, very quiet as never before. I regret I did not check it first time so they could fix it under warranty. It has 74000Km now.

Can you tell me please what was the milleage on other camshafts wear on the picture?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements