Aiming Headlights on an 06
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aiming Headlights on an 06

crv|oc Rank: Member

Aiming Headlights on an 06

I have one headlight that is slightly out of alignment and not sure how to do it. I checked the manual and of course it said to have the dealer do it.

I'm sure its not that difficult, so how do you do it and is there a specific tool I need?
    2006 Pewter CR-V SE that just replaced my
    1994 Accord EX with 245,000 miles.....

2007 Accord SE 4 Door

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

I'm sorry to see you have not gotten a reply yet, I'm in dire need to adjust mine also, but I can find nothing to accomplish this. Let's hope someone has the answer.

crv|oc Rank: Silver

Generalized Procedure

If you google headlight aiming you will find many general sites to tell how to do this. I don't have an 06 so I can't help much in specifics but here is a general site that may at least give you an idea how to do it.

Aiming Headlights - Adjust Headlight Aim to Maximize Visibility

On the 2007 there are center marks on the headlight lens. If your 06 has this you may be able to measure the height of the center lines and place the tape at the same height on the wall, rather than pulling the car close to the wall as shown in the site.

Make sure all the tires are properly inflated and that the car has typical loading. That is if you always carry some sort of heavy cargo in the back, have it in there when you are performing the adjustment. I have seen directions where, they told you to have someone sitting in the drivers seat as well. On the 07 the adjustment mechanism is on the back of the headlight housing inboard from the bulb. It looks like a bolt with a toothed edged washer under it. Your hood has to be open. There is a long round channel leading to the adjustment mechanism. You use a phillips head screw driver in the long channel and the cross point of the screwdriver acts like a pinion gear on the toothed washer. I don't know what you have on the 06. Sorry I can't give you any more information than that.

The photos below are for the 2007.

1. Drivers side. The shaft of the screwdriver will descend in the long groove as indicated by the green arrow. The crosspoint will engage the teeth of the adjustment mechanism in the magenta circle. Do not turn the bolt head.

2. Passenger side. The adjustment mechanism is indicated by the red arrow. Note the length of the screwdriver channel.

3. Crappy photo of the headlight lens. The etched center mark is in the green circle.

Sorry I can't be more help.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Black Pearl; 07-11-2008 at 07:36 PM.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

“Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.” W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Thanks, I'll take a look at that link. I just have one headlight, the passenger side that is a little lower than the drivers side..... my wife's V, the lights are perfect.....

2007 Accord SE 4 Door

Black Pearl, Thanks, I just got finished trying your suggestion. It worked perfectly. It's great to have a steely-eyed Honda man to go to.

crv|oc Rank: Silver

Your Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by bakon2 View Post
    Black Pearl, Thanks, I just got finished trying your suggestion. It worked perfectly. It's great to have a steely-eyed Honda man to go to.

That is hardly a description of me. I am a bumbling idiot that occasionally gets one right. But we do have some people here that fit that description.

Was the adjustment mechanism on the 2006 similar to the 07? If not can you describe it, or post a photo? I have to ask, that is how I learn. Was the link to the generalized procedure helpful?

BTW Welcome to the club. I am glad your adjustment worked out good.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

“Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.” W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

I have yet to do anything yet as its time for bed before I know it. I'll try to take a look today, but I can't imagine the 06 is much different..... maybe some before and after pics....

2007 Accord SE 4 Door

Yes, It looks basically the same. If you look for that geared washer, Your there. I just adjusted them by eye to raise the beams up a little. Took it for a test drive, They look much better. I'm eventually going to put fogs on. These old guys don't see like we 'usta. Once again thanks for your info.

Maclete, not meaning to hijack your thread...

I have an '06 EX model...Are the high beam and low beams adjusted proportionally by the one adjustment screw/mechanism? Or do you have to adjust each light seperately with the same adjustment screw (which wouldn't make sense to me)?

I installed HIDs and leveled the low beams to the correct height (a little lower to not blind anyone too much) according to Black Pearl's site. Now when I flip on the high beams the light output is at the same level as the low beams.

So I'm confused. I know the light from the HIDs will scatter because it's not in a projector housing, but I leveled the light using the highest part of the beam. So the focal point of the light would be lower.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry I have not been back in awhile, but the assemblies are basically the same and I used a flathead screwdriver which seemed to work best for me, you'll need at least a 10 inch long one.

To answer the aiming question, yes, it moves the whole assembly not the individual hi/low beams.

2007 Accord SE 4 Door

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements