Will idling an engine charge the car battery?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will idling an engine charge the car battery?

crv|oc Rank: Freshman

Will idling an engine charge the car battery?

I have a car (not my CR-V) which isn't used very often, lucky to be once a fortnight if that and sometimes the trips are only quite short.

Today after about 3 weeks of non-use, I thought I should start up the car to run some charge thru the battery for fear of it going flat if I didn't start it up. I noticed it turned over somewhat slowly this time...

My question is - will starting a low-use car up and letting it idle for a period of time (say 15 mins, maybe 30 mins) actually charge the battery and do it any good? Or will it be better to drive it around the block?

I don't have a plug in battery charger to trickle-charge it - perhaps if the above isn't an efficient way of doing it then I might have to invest in one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Assuming that the battery and alternator is in good condition yes it will charge up, but depending on what your car is the time may vary-might take 30mins or longer with a discharged battery. It may be wiser to invest in a trickle charger, the one I got from Sears is only 39 bucks so for half a tank of gas you don't have to worry about battery drain is a pretty good deal.
    2008 CR-V LX Glacier Blue Metallic

crv|oc Rank: Silver

Not Having a Trickle Charger

If you don't have a trickle charger I would drive the car for about 15 to 30 minutes. Idling will charge the battery but very slowly. Driving it will put a better charge on it. But as PartyVan stated, for the price of gas, a trickle charger will pay for it self fairly quick.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy. W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Don't use a trickle charge for extended periods...they will OVERCHARGE a battery.

Instead look for a "float charger": a low-amperage charger with electronics that only charge when the voltage drops a bit. Here's some available in the USA, you could surely find one "Down Under":

Amazon.com: battery float charger

++++++++++++

PS if you already have a trickle charger, just plug it in through a timer to charge for 30 minutes a day!
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Kmart had a 25% off sale so I ended up getting this:
    Projecta

Seems to work well - it charged up my battery and then started to maintain it in about 5 hours.

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    Kmart had a 25% off sale so I ended up getting this:
    Projecta

Seems to work well - it charged up my battery and then started to maintain it in about 5 hours.
    Wow, I didn't know you had K-Marts down there.

You will get MUCH MORE battery life from that car now that the battery is kept charged. Discharging a battery shortens its life.

One thing to remember about Smart Chargers: if connected to a battery that is totally "flat" (discharged), the control electronics may not think it is hooked up at all! So they won't work....
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

crv|oc Rank: Member

solar power.

try a little solar panel charger.I use one often for atvs and trucks they work fine.Especially for trickle charging for afew days.

9. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements