Timing belt replacement
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Timing belt replacement

crv|oc Rank: Member

Timing belt replacement

Ok, just took my 2000 CRV in for the 90,000 mile service. Actually mileage is a little less than 89,000. Got the call that the tech is recommending a timing belt. Funny thing is that the advisor said, "You haven't had that done yet have you?" They are also running a deal of $50 off thru July. Makes me wonder if it really needs to be done yet. I thought it was recommended at around 105,000. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    I had a 2000 Rav4 and it was recommended at every 90K don't know if the CRV is different.

Quote Originally Posted by tijerota View Post
    Ok, just took my 2000 CRV in for the 90,000 mile service. Actually mileage is a little less than 89,000. Got the call that the tech is recommending a timing belt. Funny thing is that the advisor said, "You haven't had that done yet have you?" They are also running a deal of $50 off thru July. Makes me wonder if it really needs to be done yet. I thought it was recommended at around 105,000. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    You are quite right. The timing belt isn't due until 105,000 miles and maybe the dealer is just drumming up business. It's not that out of line however. Lots of our more rigorous maintainers do timing belts as soon as 70k. It's not really a bad thing to be a little conservative with something as critical as a timing belt and water pump. They are the kinds of things that when they fail, bad things can happen.

Well I opted to wait on the timing belt at this point. The total they were trying to sell me on was $1,299. for the timing belt, new rotors and brakes (still have 15% on brakes) and the 90,000 mile service. The new rotors are due to a "rust ring" that was making noise. The advisor said that was "the only way to get rid of the noise" so I was expecting to be gritting my teeth all the way home after picking it up since I said I'd wait on that too. Guess what, the noise isn't there now!!!! I'm going to check out some other places to see what their cost is on the timing belt since I know the importance of getting it done. Just want to find the best price in town.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmithvt View Post
    The timing belt isn't due until 105,000 miles and maybe the dealer is just drumming up business. (
    Recommended replacement: 105k miles / 84 months (7 years) whichever comes first
    Success is 99% failure
    -Soichiro Honda

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    -Winston Churchill

Motorcycle Riding in West Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Honda Tech View Post
    Recommended replacement: 105k miles / 84 months (7 years) whichever comes first
    Good catch and a real good point.

$1300 for Brakes & Timing Belt? I'm in the wrong line of work!

$1300 seems steep for brakes and timing belt job.

The water pump is usually replaced at the same time as the timing belt since the labor involved to get to the belt and water pump is the same - so you kill two birds with one stone (labor charge). If the idler pulley is noisy, that may be replaced too. It's also a good time to replace the other 3 belts (power steering, A/C, and alternator). The usual prices I've heard quoted for the work are in the $500-600 range. Genuine Honda parts cost alone for new ps/ac/alt/timing belt + water pump + sundries is about $200.

The brake job is much easier than the timing belt. The parts (discs + pad kit) cost more than the timing belt job but the labor is less.

For the love of god tijerota...please find yourself another mechanic!! Those prices are way out of line!!

Cool timing belt replacement

a repair cost of $500 to 650 is not bad at all, I got a quote for almost $1500 just for the timing belt replacement at a honda dealership.

I also got a qoute for 350 for belt replacement only at an independent repair shop.
    Last edited by liljohn; 08-29-2008 at 01:10 PM. Reason: forgot some of the info

timing belt

I rec'd a quote for about $1000 at my local dealer, ended up replacing it myself...it is a bit of work though.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements