Where is the automatic transmission drain bolt located?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where is the automatic transmission drain bolt located?

crv|oc Rank: Member

Red face Where is the automatic transmission drain bolt located?

Hi,

I am the caretaker of a 2008 CR-V(my wife's car), where is the transmission drain bolt located and has anyone changed the transmission fluid yet?

thanks

MrClean

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    I hope that will help
    http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/t2324/
    Good luck

crv|oc Rank: Silver

Drain Plug Location

The photos below should help you find the drain plug and Davos gave you the procedure. The second photo is from the front of the car and the oil filter can seen for reference. The transmission drain plug is considerably forward from the oil filter. I haven't changed mine yet. But I understand it is fairly easy. Let us know how it goes.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Black Pearl; 08-04-2008 at 08:15 PM.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

“Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.” W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Smile Two pictures are worth 10 pages of a manual

The caretaker is happy. Pictures are the ticket. Link to the manual will be helpful also for the wife who reads the instructions.

Big thanks to you Black Pearl.

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
    Hi,

I am the caretaker of a 2008 CR-V(my wife's car), where is the transmission drain bolt located and has anyone changed the transmission fluid yet?

thanks

MrClean
    Black Pearl is great for the info...I have done 2 drain\fills already; each at 15,000 miles. Very simple...except for getting the bolt off the 1st time. Now it's torqued to spec and not some dufus doing the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerland View Post
    Black Pearl is great for the info...I have done 2 drain\fills already; each at 15,000 miles. Very simple...except for getting the bolt off the 1st time. Now it's torqued to spec and not some dufus doing the job.
    probably some transformer auto bot that put that in at the factory...

I wish my oil filter was in such an easy location. The 1999 is drag...

Smile

I have a 2009 2WD, my questions are:

1. How much torque should I put on the drain plug after drain the ATF? What is the factory spec?

2. Suppose I change the ATF every 15k miles, only drain and fill once, how many bottles of 1qt ATF-Z1 should I buy before the change? I cannot find on the spec how much ATF it will use for the change.

3. Should I change the Plug washer also? What is the size of it? Can I get it from autozone?

Thanks in advance.

crv|oc Rank: Silver

ATF Drain Plug

I am assuming that you are in the US.

1. The torque spec for the 2007 is 36 foot pounds. I think the 09 would be the same.

2. The change capacities are on page 336 of the 2009 US and Canada owners manual. 2.6 qt for 4WD 2.7 for 2WD. When I changed mine I tried to carefully measure how much I drained out. Due to the cheap plastic pan I bought, the oil slopped all over the place when trying to measure it so I didn't get a good reading. I don't recall how much I ended up putting in, but I would recommend have at least 4 quarts on hand just in case you have a spill disaster. You will need at least 3.

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...SWA2009OMA.pdf

3. Definitely change the gasket washer. It crushes under torque. If you use the same one over again, you transfer the torque into the threads in the oil pan. I would get the Honda crush washer, not something at Autozone. You can get them from your dealer for a few bucks or at H&A ($1.46 each unfortunately plus shipping). I believe the Honda part number is 90471-PX4-000 (again I have an 07 not an 09). The package I have only has the part number not the size. They are just a bit smaller than the rear differential which is 20 MM and considerably larger than the oil pan which is 14 MM. My guess is that they are 18 MM, which is what I am measuring with my junky ruler.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/crvmaint07.html

Good luck with your fluid change.
    Last edited by Black Pearl; 09-13-2009 at 12:53 PM.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

“Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.” W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    I haven't checked the manual on my 08. I HOPE they don't recommend transmission fluid change every 15,000. Bad enough to have to do the rear differential. I could see maybe 30,000. Also this torquing business, I looked into buying a wrench and you can run the gamut from a cheapo at Harbour Freight to a wrench I'd want to keep in a safe deposit box. Then you should recalibrate occasionally. If you're using a new crush washer everytime is it really necessary or is it just a precaution for the threadstrippers who don't know when to stop with the muscle? I'm sure there are some dealerships who don't do it. How would we know?

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements