What MMI Codes Did I Miss?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What MMI Codes Did I Miss?

crv|oc Rank: Member

What MMI Codes Did I Miss?

Hello everyone,

It seems my Honda dealer left me uninformed.
    I have a 2008 CRV purchased 01/15/2008. On the dealer's advice I had the oil changed at 7,768 after 7 months of use. This dealer called it their 5,000 mile service interval. The Maintenance Minder (MM) was reset and no codes or subcodes were noted or shared with me. The MM read 40% oil life at that time I recall.

I have read the EXCELLENT information y'all provide in this forum. Black Pearl and Honda AutoTech are super helpful! I do not want to follow the dealer's advice on bring in my CRV for service according to mileage or time. I would rather follow the MM.

Question 1: The vehicle is now 11 months old and I'm at 13,500 miles. The MM reads 50% oil life. When the MM was reset in August, what codes and/or subcodes were deleted? I have never been advised by the MM to even rotate the tires. Can anyone tell me what codes and subcodes I missed back in August?

Question 2: I am thinking of getting an oil change and tire rotation ASAP. The tire rotate is way overdue. If I get the oil change (50% oil life now) and reset the MM (noting any other codes or subcodes that appear) will I be back on track to use the MM? I really want to get back on track and stay on track.

Thank you for your assistance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Odds are very good that the only "missed" sub-code would have been '1' for a tire rotation. Odds are also pretty good that the next MM item that would come up if for the next service interval would be a sub-code 6 (rear diff service if you have 4wd) and probably another sub-code 1. You can find out what items will come up by doing the first part of the MM reset procedure - when you get to the screen that has you choose between finalizing the reset or cancelling, the sub-codes that would appear if you let the MM run to the notification mileage will be flashing. If you really want to find out what, if any, sub-items were reset, if you find a helpful Service Advisor or Technician, they can use the Honda HDS scan tool and access MM history - it'll show the mileage at which the various sub-codes were reset.
    mook /muk/
    noun: Slang. An insignificant, contemptible, or incompetent person.

"Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent."
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    Motorcycle Riding in West By God Virginia

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...postcount=3415

crv|oc Rank: Silver

MMI History

The history for my car has been

First oil change: A1 at 7800 miles
    Second oil change: B16 at 15,700 miles
    Third oil change: A12 at 23,900 miles

First
    A is oil change
    1 Rotate tires

Second
    B is oil and oil filter change and many inspections (brakes, front end, fuel lines)
    1 Rotate tires
    6 Change the rear differential fluid

Third
    A Oil change
    1 Rotate tires
    2 Change air filter and cabin filter and inspect drive belts.

The above is copied and pasted from this thread:

Maintenance Minder Problem--I Think....

BTW I am not the strict go by the MMI afficinado that everyone thinks I am. I change my oil filter every time, use synthetic oil due to a discomfort with 8k oil changes, change my air and cabin filter on an annual basis, and I was going to change the rear differential fluid whether the MMI called for it or not on the second oil change. The tranny fluid is getting changed at the next oil change approx 30K. Some Mook, in a different life, described it best, the MMI should be considered the absolute minimum maintenance standard--not the gold standard.

Welcome to the club, and thanks for the kind comments.
    Last edited by Black Pearl; 12-18-2008 at 07:09 AM.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy. W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    I'm one of the lucky ones that can run plus 10k oil changes due to our driving habits. One thing that I don't wait on for the MM is the filter notice and do those on a regular 15k basis since we have a very allergic family and they (filters) are pretty dirty after 6-7 months of driving here. I would also just recommend doing a tire rotation NOW....those tires are junk and wear pretty fast; mine were gone at 24k.

crv|oc Rank: Member

Thank you

Many thanks to Some Mook, Black Pearl, and Badgerland for your quick and informative replies. Happy Holidays to you all.
    D

Rear Differential Interval

Here is an interesting quote from a Honda Media Newsroom 2007 Powertrain technical release. It is discussing how the dual pump system works. Note the statement bolded. This release is dated 9-1-2006, which would indicate that as of Sept 2006 some people in Honda still believed that the dual pump oil was good for 60,000 miles. The actual MMI interval for changing the rear differential oil is around 15,000 miles.

"Overall system operation is completely automatic; no electronics or driver action is involved. The greater the degree of front-wheel slippage, the greater the amount of torque fed to the rear wheels. Real Time 4WD is also low maintenance. The Maintenance Minder system will indicate that the dual pump fluid should be changed at about 60,000 miles."

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/844/releases/3653

Badgerland, didn't you buy your V in December 2006? Did you get 6 subcode on your second oil change?

Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy. W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

crv|oc Rank: Senior

You are correct...VERY good memory!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    Here is an interesting quote from a Honda Media Newsroom 2007 Powertrain technical release. It is discussing how the dual pump system works. Note the statement bolded. This release is dated 9-1-2006, which would indicate that as of Sept 2006 some people in Honda still believed that the dual pump oil was good for 60,000 miles. The actual MMI interval for changing the rear differential oil is around 15,000 miles.

"Overall system operation is completely automatic; no electronics or driver action is involved. The greater the degree of front-wheel slippage, the greater the amount of torque fed to the rear wheels. Real Time™ 4WD is also low maintenance. The Maintenance Minder system will indicate that the dual pump fluid should be changed at about 60,000 miles."

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/844/releases/3653

Badgerland, didn't you buy your V in December 2006? Did you get 6 subcode on your second oil change?

I was having noise in my "rear end" so I took it into the dealership at 16k and they did a warranty DPF change. At my next OCI (#2) 20500 the code 6 came up. I had also gotten another subcode 6 on my 4th OCI at just over 40500; and did another change myself.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Great info in this post!
    I never knew about the MM, I have had 3 oil and filter changes in my 07 (I have 23k on the car now)
    I have not had the rear differential fluid changed yet. I need this done...
    Can a local shop do this or is this something I need to take to Honda?
    I did replace the air filter, but not the cabin filters (guess Honda as well?)
    I know at 30k the tranny fluid is due for a drain and fill.
    Anything else I missed?

Thanks!
    Last edited by c-bo; 12-31-2008 at 10:21 AM.

Rear Differential Fluid

You need to get the rear differential fluid changed real soon. It should have been done per the MMI on the second scheduled oil change generally around 15 to 20K.

The rear differential fluid is fairly easy to change and can be done either by your self or your local garage but you must use Honda Dual Pump Fluid II. Do not allow the local garage to use any thing but the Honda fluid!

I have done a pictorial do it yourself guide for changing the fluid here:

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3324

It is actually fairly easy to do. Just pay attention to the cautions in the guide.

The cabin filter is extremely easy to do, takes about 5 to 10 minutes. Here is another DIY guide for it:

Replacing The 2007 Pollen Filter, Photo Essay

The only other things that you may have missed are the tire rotations (sub-code 1) and all of the inspections that are listed under "B" maintenance on page 263 of your owner's manual (2007 North American).

Get your rear differential fluid changed very soon. With the problems that some owner's have had with the rear differential, you want to stay on top of the required maintenance to protect your warranty.

The cabin filter is very easy to change. Note Badgerland's comment in post #5 in the thread for changing the cabin filter. H&A, a sponsor for our site, has filters available for $15.95 plus shipping. The other on line parts places, Bernardi, Magestic, San Leandro, College Hills, etc should have them at a discount as well.
    Last edited by Black Pearl; 12-31-2008 at 11:17 AM.

11. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements