When to rotate my tires?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: When to rotate my tires?

crv|oc Rank: Member

When to rotate my tires?

I have a 2008 Honda CRV LX and my question is when do I rotate my tires? The bridgestone manual tells me every 5,000 miles or as owner's manual suggests. The manual suggest I do it when I my service lights come on, it will tell me to rotate tires, take out the air filter, etc... etc... according to the lights that come on.

Well the last time my CRV was serviced was at 6,000miles. I currently have 10,500 miles and my "Oil Life" reads 60% so should I rotate now or rotate them when my service lights come on when the oil life drops to 15-5% and wait for my service lights?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Platinum
    Usually, your supposed to do it every other oil change. So like 6,000 miles.
    That's the way it's been on almost all cars.

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    I rotate mine every 5k and with my nascar jack and tools it takes all of 15 minutes to do it; cheap insurance to get good mileage out of the tires. If I did it every other oil change that would be 20k in between rotations - bad idea for me.

crv|oc Rank: Silver

Welcome To The Club!

One of the weaknesses of the Maintenance Minder system on the generation 3 Vs (2007 - 2009) is tire rotation. The MMI schedules all maintenance with an oil change. If your driving habits lend themselves to a long oil change interval (10,000 miles in some cases) you will not be rotating your tires often enough. I think the commonly regarded interval for tire rotation is 5,000 to 7,000 miles. Going 10K is too long. Many of our members feel that the MMI schedules oil changes too far apart as well. You can change your oil sooner than the MMI suggest, but do not go longer than the MMI interval if you are concerned with preserving your warranty.

Welcome to the club and good luck with your tire rotations.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy. W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

My philosophy on tire rotation is that if you have to pay $40 to rotate every 5k miles, it may be cheaper to not rotate at all and let the tires wear out sooner. By 40k miles you have paid $320 just to rotate. I can buy a set of Michelins at Costco for about $400. I doubt that tire wear will be nearly doubled by rotating every 5k miles. This theory is of course directly a function of the cost of the tires.

One can spin the situation one way or the other but I have done the calculation for my daughters and come to the conclusion that if you pay for rotation you do not save any money due to preventing accelerated wear of the front tires.

Now there are other benefits and factors involved in tire rotation. Particularly on 4WD where it is recommended that all four tires be replaced at once.

For the DIY person going no longer than 7,500 miles is a good number. Every 5,000 miles is better but it might be overkill.

My 2 cents worth. Circumstances dictate what will workout best for each individual.

-Rg

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    One of the weaknesses of the Maintenance Minder system on the generation 3 Vs (2007 - 2009) is tire rotation. The MMI schedules all maintenance with an oil change. If your driving habits lend themselves to a long oil change interval (10,000 miles in some cases) you will not be rotating your tires often enough. I think the commonly regarded interval for tire rotation is 5,000 to 7,000 miles. Going 10K is too long. Many of our members feel that the MMI schedules oil changes too far apart as well. You can change your oil sooner than the MMI suggest, but do not go longer than the MMI interval if you are concerned with preserving your warranty.

Welcome to the club and good luck with your tire rotations.
    Well put! Thanks. This was the answer I was looking for!

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    I'd do it every 5,000-10,000 miles...
    Mitch

2003 CR-V EX 4A Chianti Red - K&N Typhoon SRI - Alpine/Orion 10" Sub and Amp - Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S 215/70-15 - Garmin Nuvi Navigation - Osram SilverStar
    2010 MAZDASPEED3 Liquid Silver - CP-E SRI - CP-E Turbo Inlet Pipe - Corksport Race Pipe - MTEC Super White & Golden Yellow bulbs - 35% Tint coming soon - CP-E downpipe coming soon
    1990 Mazda Miata - (Track Machine) Stock, for now

I bought my new tires from Sam's Club, Goodyear Triple Tred and it comes from with free tire rotations at every 7500 miles. They are first come first serve and I go there about once a week so I'll just drop it off while I shop. They usually have tastey food samples, it's a win win!

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    My Toyota Tundra has the same tires as my CRV, Dueler H/Ts. I've rotated them every 5K and they have 30,000 on them and they look great. Course my shop only charges me about $15 not $40. I note that my 4wd needs to have all four replaced at once. No problem as I would never want to replace just two anyway. If you're rotating the wear should be pretty much uniform on them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy43 View Post
    My Toyota Tundra has the same tires as my CRV, Dueler H/Ts. I've rotated them every 5K and they have 30,000 on them and they look great. Course my shop only charges me about $15 not $40. I note that my 4wd needs to have all four replaced at once. No problem as I would never want to replace just two anyway. If you're rotating the wear should be pretty much uniform on them all.
    So to see if it is worth rotating at $15 times 6 rotation so far you have spent $90 plus time.

Do you think the added wear is more than $90 worth? Remember that if they are only half worn by the time they are worn you will have spent $190. So that is the real figure to work with. If for example each tire cost $190, then the added wear must be 25% or more to make it to the break even point.

BTW $15 is reasonable. Some dealers get $40 or more.

Just a thought.

-Rg

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements