Oil Change DIY (2005 CRV)
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oil Change DIY (2005 CRV)

crv|oc Rank: Member

Oil Change DIY (2005 CRV)

Is there any DIY for changing the oil on a CRV 05?

How many quarts do I need?

Will an Evacuator work?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Silver

DIY Oil Change

Where are you located? There may be differences in the various models. For instance, Europe has both diesel and gas engines.

I wrote a procedure for the 2007 which while not exactly the same should be close, except for the location of the oil filter. I believe the oil filter is located over a cross member and many folks have used various shields or ducts to direct the oil into their collection pan.

Changing The Engine Oil On The 2007 CR-V, Photo Essay

I don't know why an evacuator would not work, but I have read that it is better to drain it through the drain plug to get crud out.

According to the North American owner's manual you need 4.4 quarts. Here is the oil change section in the 2005 (North American) owner's manual:

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...505O00178A.pdf

I think I have seen references of YOU Tube procedures for changing oil but do not know of the specific URLs.

Good luck with your oil change. Let us know how you make out.
    Last edited by Black Pearl; 02-28-2009 at 07:15 PM.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

“Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.” W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    Where are you located? There may be differences in the various models. For instance, Europe has both diesel and gas engines.

I wrote a procedure for the 2007 which while not exactly the same should be close, except for the location of the oil filter. I believe the oil filter is located over a cross member and many folks have used various shields or ducts to direct the oil into their collection pan.

Changing The Engine Oil On The 2007 CR-V, Photo Essay

I don't know why an evacuator would not work, but I have read that it is better to drain it through the drain plug to get crud out.

According to the North American owner's manual you need 4.4 quarts. Here is the oil change section in the 2005 (North American) owner's manual:

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...505O00178A.pdf

I think I have seen references of YOU Tube procedures for changing oil but do not know of the specific URLs.

Good luck with your oil change. Let us know how you make out.

I am located in Hawaii and my model is a 2005 CRV EX.
    Should I just use the OEM oil? MY dealer sells it for $ 3.83/ quart.
    Thanks for the link, that is GREAT info! Good job!
    I wish my oil filter was as conveniently located as your CRV...
    What are the specs on the oil filter wrench and where can I get it?

Thanks for the help!

Oil Change

Regarding oil, you can use the OEM oil but you don't have to (unlike every other fluid in your CR-V which has to be Honda brand--except windshield washer fluid). The OEM oil is quality stuff, but not magical. It is regular old dino oil, out of the ground. You may use any oil that is the correct weight and has the proper API certification. See the owner's manual links. Many of us use synthetics because we worry about the extended oil change intervals on the gen 3s or the cold weather performance. If you do use a synthetic, you still must change it to Honda's schedule and not the extended schedules that some synthetics recommend to protect your warranty or extended warranty.

The oil filter wrench is defined in the DIY I gave you yesterday, but here it is again:

"Oil filter wrench. The one shown is an Ampro T70413, designed for the standard stock filter with a 65 mm diameter and 14 flutes (flats on the bottom of the filter that the wrench mates with). The wrench is available at Advanced Auto Parts."

I have no familiarity with what autoparts chains you have in Hawaii. If you can't find a 65 mm 14 flute wrench, H&A sell them but they are pretty pricey:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/crvmaint05.html

The Ampro I bought above was something like 5 or 6 bucks.

The other thing you should get that is shown at the H&A link above is the oil drain plug crush gaskets. You can get them at your dealer and they should be inexpensive. Buying them at H&A you will pay an arm and a leg for shipping but only 19 cents for the gasket. Again if you are stuck, H&A ships to Hawaii. The reason to change these is that they crush under torque the first use. After that they progressively transfer more torque to the threads in the oil pan. So repeated use is hard on the oil pan threads.

Thanks for the kind comments and good luck with your oil change.
    Last edited by Black Pearl; 03-01-2009 at 07:26 AM.

“Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.” W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    I just posted my DIY on a 2003 CRV on youtube. Comments?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do8zhWlyrQU

Well Done!

Nice procedure. Very well done.

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Yes, well done.

You would get more views by having a pretty girl demonstrate. Someone who obviously knows her way around the automotive scene.

Here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMQ2wAVaMRA

+++++++++++++++++

My only serious suggestions would be to fill up the filter with oil before installation (reduces dry-start time)...and I also put an old plastic bag on the frame under the filter to prevent spilled oil from collecting there (and dripping for DAYS).
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Very nice set of wheels...wouldn't blame anyone for not noticing, but I wonder what those high heels did to the paint.

Using a plastic bag over the oil filter when removing it is an excellent idea Atwell, sure saves on clean up.

10. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements