1999 - Can I adjust my own valves?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1999 - Can I adjust my own valves?

crv|oc Rank: Member

Question 1999 - Can I adjust my own valves?

I downloaded a service manual and it looks as though I have to remove the valve cover and then maybe the middle section too? - and then there is a lock-nut that I would loosen (of course to begin with I would have set it @ TDC) and then I do my adjusting with my gauge (thin piece of metal I think), then tighten the lock nut and move on to the next cylinder?

Do I have this about right?

Not completely, but just the basics of the job, I know that I have to undo and unhook a crap load of things, and I know I should get a new valve cover gasket and I know that I have lots of tools and I have been working on cars wrenching for over 20 years, just never adjusted the valves on my CR-V - and its CLEARLY time - lol

Anyone do this in their own garage before?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Also, besides the gauge - will I need any other special tools?

Looking at the manual I might, but not sure - HELP!

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    I just did mine on my '06

http://www.hondasuv.com/members/show...498#post382498

You may not need a valve cover gasket kit, as Honda VC gaskets are quite robust. If they are not leaking now, you can take the chance IMO.

Here's a Generation 1 pictorial, click on HOW TO then VALVE ADJUSTMENT

http://home.earthlink.net/~michaelpkeefe/

I have never used a special tool to loosen and adjust the slotted adjusters. I just note the orientation of the slotted adjuster, so that even if it turns when loosening the locknut, I can move it back to the "starting" position.

Have Fun
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

Easy

I have a gen 1 v too. I did my own valve adjustment, no problem. Its easy straightforward, all you need is a freeeler gauge, torque wrench, valve cover gasket, grommets and some box wrenches. If I remember they get a little looser once you torque the lock nuts, so you have to account for that when you make an adjustment. Once you do the first few you see what I mean, you will get a feel for it. The other good news is you probably wont have to touch the intakes so that is half the work, although the exhausts surely will be tight. I would set them to max spec mine is .08 im not sure what the 99's are probably the same. You will be fine doing it if you been working on cars for awhile, it no more difficult than gapping a spark plug, adjusting a nut and locking it down. BTW I would use a torque wrench, beings its inside an engine, but thats just my opinion.

Question

So, went to do this, found out the a few of the exhaust valves could not be adjusted - they were no where near correct. Tried turning it in, or out, could not get the gauge in so I set it where I thought it was ok, and bolted everything back together, but when we went to start it up, it sounded REALLY BAD - like there is something hitting the valve cover or some kind of ticking, it was not a good day

So, not only did I waste a day, but I have no car too.
    Not to mention one good thing, all this happened at my buddy's shop, so at least I dont have to tow it anywhere.

Now he is saying that the head or something might have to get machined - does that sound right?

I am SOOOOOO mad! I still owe money on this thing too - grrrrrrrrr.

Love to hear what you guys think - Please, help a brutha out!
    Last edited by GTCB-chris; 04-14-2009 at 09:46 PM. Reason: language

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Make sure you rotate each cylinder to top dead center before adjusting the valves for that piston! It sounds like you adjust the valves without moving that piston to tdc. Hal

Quote Originally Posted by harold View Post
    Make sure you rotate each cylinder to top dead center before adjusting the valves for that piston! It sounds like you adjust the valves without moving that piston to tdc. Hal
    Also, perhaps you mis-read the feeler thicknesses (or confused the inces marking with metric)? Easy to do the first time.

The instructions for doing the valves are in the Helms factory manual and steps 12 - 17 of Michael Keefe's procedure.

You do one cylinder at a time. There are pointers and marks on the cam belt wheels (timing belt) that make it easy to see if the engine is in the correct position to adjust one cylinder's valves. After you do that cylinder, you rotate the engine to the position for the next set of valves.

Give it another try. Usually there is clearance (movement) in the rocker arms before you begin adjusting that cylinder. It is easier to use two shims (minimum and maximum) as a go-no go check than to worry about finding that "slight drag" mentioned in the books.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

Guys, I totally understand the WHOLE process, I rotated the engine for each cylinder, not to mention I have read the whole process before I even started, then re-read it again while I was doing it!

I did one cylinder at a time, and of course went through the ENTIRE procedure from TDC on the first cylinder and all the way around too.

What I am asking now, is if this is the case - does the valve adjustment only get a certain amount of times you can adjust and then you are forced to machine the head? This is what I would like to know - lol

I do NOT need to know the process, as I do understand it and did it correctly, but like I said above, the #1 and 3 cylinders were not able to be adjusted, I turned in, turned out (of course after loosening the lock nut - ya nut!) and there was NO WAY to get a feeler gauge in - no matter what size I picked (and I had the whole set too!)

Let me know what you think - or I can RE-Retype some of this to try to make a little more sense out of my babble - lol

Bottom line question - are the valves only able to be adjusted so many times before you have to have the heads machined?

Thanks!

Also, I did not misread the gauge thickness (although I can see how that would be easy to do if you are not paying attention!)

I think I am just screwed - I gotta pay for a car that I can not drive!

Hi Adam,

Even if you had a few exhaust valves that were receding into the head (a known problem on the B20 engine after 100K miles) I would think you could have adjusted them back to spec. After all, even a 1/4 turn of the rocker adjusting nut is significant...you should not have needed more than a "bump" (1/16th of a turn) of the adjusting screw on a routine valve adjustment.

Don't give up. Just try again. Look at all the "experience" you have now.

EDIT: reading your RESULTS post, the ticking would be from valves that are too "loose". Excessive looseness means they will not open all the way when needed (and "click" as you said).

+++++++++++

If the valves were indeed receded into the cylinder head material you would have been setting misfire codes before you began, and poor idle. Was this the case?

If so, then yes, you may need head work. You were halfway there (to a cylinder head removal).

Why not have your mechanic friend check your work this time. If it's OK he could do a compression test ( bad valves = poor compression) and continue with the headwork for you.

Sorry about your bad experience.
    Last edited by Carbuff2; 04-16-2009 at 07:42 AM.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    NJ

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements