Only Honda Fluids? Question about Rear Differential Fluid
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Only Honda Fluids? Question about Rear Differential Fluid

Only Honda Fluids? Question about Rear Differential Fluid

Hello all, this may have been asked before, but I couldn't find any threads.

I have a 2007 CR-V, which has always been serviced by the dealer. I just got quoted $400 for service (including oil/filter change/tire rotation/air and cabin filters/rear differential fluid change). That was a little pricey for me, so I wanted to take it to a mechanic that I know for the same service.

However, everything in my manual says to use only Honda fluids. I assume the mechanic doesn't carry this. Does this condemn me to always taking my car to the dealer for service? Thanks for any info/advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Silver

Honda Fluids

You must use the Honda Dual Pump II fluid in the rear differential. You can buy it at the dealer or on line at a number of on line Honda parts dealers.

Our sponsor H&A has it.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/crvmaint07.html

You will need two quarts. You should also buy the crush washers for the rear differential (2 each) and the oil pan (1 each). They are very inexpensive.

You do not have to use Honda Motor oil or Honda Filters. But H&A has all of that available as well.

Be very careful that a third part garage or mechanic only uses Honda brand fluids in you CR-V for everything except motor oil.

Good luck with your maintenance.

I wrote up photo essays on the filter changes, oil & filter, and rear differential fluid. It will tell you everything you need. Search "photo essays" on this forum.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy. W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Has anyone tried a synthetic trasmission oil in the rear Diff. ? That dual pump 11 fluid sure does not appear to be doing the job!!! The diff. in my 2006 V has only locked up a couple times. The oil I drained at 58,000 kil. did not smell burnt, so it cant be working that hard? I'm wondering if the diff gets hot after a couple hundred miles or does it heat up at all? You would think heat would be the only thing that would brake the oil down that soon. There has to be something better? Hal

Water Seems To Be The Problem

What I have read here on the forum is that the fluid is hygroscopic, that is that is absorbs water very easily. The absorbed moisture is what deteriorates the oil.

I believe that the rear end generates heat only when it is in 4WD.

The common knowledge here on the forum is that there are no other fluids formulated for the Honda Real Time 4WD rear differential. Honda state to use nothing but Honda Dual Pump Fluid II. I wish there were something better, but that does not seem to be the case.

If you choose to use something else, be aware of the fact that your warranty on the rear differential will be voided, and that you are taking a great risk. The common understanding is that any other fluid will damage the rear differential. Personally I am not willing to take that chance.

I don't particularly like changing the rear diff fluid every 15,000, but I am not going to use anything else than the recommended fluid.

Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy. W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by harold View Post
    The diff. in my 2006 V has only locked up a couple times. Hal
    Please explain...

I have only needed 4 wheel drive on a couple occations. I guess lock-up is a poor choice when talking diff..
    BP- I would think 10 wt. motor oil would last 15,000 miles .Water may last that long!!! This is a real waste of oil! If its a water obsorbtion is the problem, then a sythetec oil should do the trick? I sure wish I had the jam to try something else. How much to rebuild a diff?

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    This is what I was going on about in my unfortunate rant about maintenance costs. Would'nt you think if water absorption was an issue that something could be improved? A friend of mine is a maintenance fanatic and changes his brake fluid out to a synthetic because of the hygroscopic issues. If this an issue with the 4wds only I kind of wish I had gone the fwd route. I don't drive 15K a year but for those that do, it would be a pain.

I would not mind so much, but it cost me $28 for two ltr.'s and it don't do the job.

Don't Know For Sure

I don't know for sure, but I believe that the Dual Pump Fluid II is formulated to improve the friction between the clutch plates, it is not just simply lubrication.

Here is the description from the July 07 issue of Honda ServiceNews, unfortunately it does say a whole lot:

New Dual Pump Fluid Is
    Here!
    Currently Applies To: All models with Real-Time
    4WD
    EDITORS NOTE: In a June 07 article, we told you
    that Dual Pump Fluid II isnt compatible with Dual
    Pump Fluid. We were wrong. Make sure you discard
    any hard copies you made of that article and use this
    article instead.
    Meet the new kid in town! Its Honda Genuine Dual
    Pump Fluid II (P/N 08200-9007, H/C 8632044). This
    fluid is the factory fill for all 08 CR-Vs and Elements,
    but its completely backwards-compatible with all 07
    and earlier models that use the original Honda
    Genuine Dual Pump Fluid (P/N 08200-9002,
    H/C 6512644).
    Dual Pump Fluid IIlike the original Dual Pump
    Fluidoffers these benefits:
    It meets Hondas stringent quality standards
    Its resistant to high-temperature breakdown
    It was developed in association with Honda R&D
    Each Honda dealership was recently sent a case of
    this new brew to accommodate the mid-June release
    of the 08 Element. If you need more, you can order it
    from Honda parts stock. If youre servicing 07 and
    earlier models, keep ordering and using the original
    Dual Pump Fluid until Honda parts stock runs out
    of it.

It does mention high temperature resistance.

Doing a Google search just revealed a whole lot of questions on forums like here and very little answers.

Bernardi Parts states that it has the proper coefficient of friction.

http://www.bernardiparts.com/products/08200-9007.aspx

Good luck on this one.

Thanks for the info B.P. I just changed the diff. a week ago. I'm going to run this oil untill I hear the groan, then decide what oil to try! Probably will be a synthetic of some type. Hal

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements