Radiator Replacement?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Radiator Replacement?

crv|oc Rank: Member

Exclamation Radiator Replacement?

Well, I took my 2000 CR-V (175k miles!) to the dealer for a needed transmission flush and they brought my attention to the radiator. The top plastic piece has a 2-3 inch crack in it and it is leaking a little fluid.
    The guy said the entire thing needs to be replaced, and they quoted it at $615 for the replacement and new upper and lower hoses.
    Being the poor college kid I am, this is disastrous, so I'm wondering what you guys think.
    How soon does this need to be replaced? Does the entire radiator really need to be replaced? Is there some sort of make-shift seal I can do myself that will hold me over a few months/weeks? Is the price good? Should I get a second opinion, or go to a local shop for the repair/replacement?
    As a side note, they also said that my front/lower motor mounts were wearing bad and one is actually broken. How long can I wait that out? He gave me a quote for $239 for the front/lowers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Platinum
    You can get a new radiator for probably $100 and the hoses for cheaper... and do it yourself. Radiators aren't as complex as they look.

100 sounds a lot better than 600.
    I'm not opposed to a DIY job (especially one that saves 500 bucks!) as long as it doesn't involve any odd tools, and I'd need a pretty detailed set of instructions. (I'm not a car guy at all - most I do is wiper blades and washer fluid). Can anyone point to a 2000 cr-v radiator replacement tutorial?
    And what can I do to hold myself over until it's replaced? Only thing to worry about is losing coolant, right? So should I just keep filling it up?

Quote Originally Posted by poorcollegekid00cr-v View Post
    100 sounds a lot better than 600.
    I'm not opposed to a DIY job (especially one that saves 500 bucks!) as long as it doesn't involve any odd tools, and I'd need a pretty detailed set of instructions. (I'm not a car guy at all - most I do is wiper blades and washer fluid). Can anyone point to a 2000 cr-v radiator replacement tutorial?
    And what can I do to hold myself over until it's replaced? Only thing to worry about is losing coolant, right? So should I just keep filling it up?
    There used to be a thing that you could crack an egg into a hot radiator and it would fill up the crack, now, I don't know if that's true or not, and I wouldn't dare try it to my car.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Have you tried stop leak. May get you by until you find one at a auto wreckers! Hal

Quote Originally Posted by harold View Post
    Have you tried stop leak. May get you by until you find one at a auto wreckers! Hal
    thanks! I googled stop leak and Bar's brand has a "Liquid Radiator Stop Leak". there's a checker's nearby and I'll stop there tomorrow or Friday to get some of that and coolant to hold me over. Finals are right now, so I'm driving home from school on Sunday (Vegas to Omaha), and I figure I better at least get some quick fix solution going so I don't get stranded or do more damage.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    I got a radiator at Auto Zone for like $150, I think, and replaced it myself and haven't had any problems. It was very easy to replace.

I didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for a radiator from Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by Serj22 View Post
    There used to be a thing that you could crack an egg into a hot radiator and it would fill up the crack, now, I don't know if that's true or not, and I wouldn't dare try it to my car.
    haha, um, i've decided that the only fresh produce going into my car will be going in the back after grocery runs, not the engine.

also, i remembered that i do air filter replacements too.

Serj, do you have any specifics on radiator replacement instructions?

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I got a radiator at Auto Zone for like $150, I think, and replaced it myself and haven't had any problems. It was very easy to replace.

I didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for a radiator from Honda.
    That's awesome. Yeah, I really don't (can't) want to pay the dealer price. Outrageous.

Did the radiator you ordered come with instructions? Or did you just know from experience? I like the DIY option more and more, especially since the consensus is that it's pretty easy, but I literally have no clue of where to even start.
    Last edited by poorcollegekid00cr-v; 05-06-2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: spelling

I'm not sure on radiator replacement on a 2000, since I don't have that Generation, but I think Lizzurd may know, or anyone else who has done a radiator replacement or repaired any front end damage. The cool thing about Cr-v's is that the bumper is extremely easy to remove, and that may be the only prep work you need to do.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements