Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2012 CRV service

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Buffalo4 
#1 ·
I took my 2012 CRV to the honda dealership for a regular oil change at 30,850 miles. Once the regular oil change was complete they recommended the following add'l services: engine oil flush ($192), brake system fluid exchange ($152), automatic transmission fluid exchange ($212), and balance tires ($75). I did not have any of the add'l services done at this time.

This is in addition to the dealership recommending 4 wheel alignment ($150) and rear differential fluid exchange ($120) at 25,600 miles. I did go ahead with these two services as I was heading on a family vacation the following day.

Do these services at these mileages seem appropriate? Do the prices seem appropriate?

Thank you for your time, I appreciate it.

#2 ·
Honda recommended service is indicated by the Maintenance Minder codes. There is no scheduled maintenance by mileage. There are a only couple exceptions under specific driving conditions. Other things you mention are normally done to fix some problem.

#3 ·
Engine oil flush after they did an oil change? $192? Dealer profit crap.
Have no idea why they would want to do a flush unless they found some serious sludge or vtech problems. Usually Honda dealers have a decent price on the oil and filter change.
How much did they charge?

Brake fluid exchange? $152 Not so soon unless the fluid is contaminated. Dealer profit crap.
I 'think' 5 yrs is recommended, but not usually needed.
More technical to do, but very easy with two people.
AT fluid exchange $212 ??? It takes aprox 3 1/2 qts of Honda DW-1 and about 10 min
You don't even need to jack up the CRV. Hardest part is putting the atf in (rt funnel helps a lot)
I believe DW-1 is around $10/qt.
Differential fluid change. Takes aprox 1.1qts of Honda DP-2 fluid. You need a cheap (under $5) pump that fits the qt bottle of DP-2 fluid and about 1-2' of hose to go from the pump to the top plug hole in the diffy. Easy to do yourself. DP-2 fluid is around $10/qt.
There are tutorials on how to do all of the above somewhere in this forum.

A 4 wheel alignment is usually performed when tire wear indicates it or new tires are installed or steering problems are present. Otherwise it is probably just Dealer profit.
I would also search for a new dealer, or find a trustworthy shop.

Buffalo4

#4 ·
Thanks Buffalo4. Oil change runs about $40 at the dealership. My issue is that I'm not savy with cars at all so I'm not familiar with what may or may not be needed vs what are they just trying to up-sell me on.

The other problem is this is the only Honda dealership in the city. The next closest one is pry an hour or so away.

#5 ·
If another dealership is that far away, you probably need to throw some things at these guys occassionally to maintain a good relationship. COOC (Cost of owning a car). It's like the cost of doing business.

Have you noticed any of the symptoms buffalo4 is describing?

#6 ·
I'll need my next oil change in about a month or so. I'm going to see what they tell me when I go in for that. When they told me about the engine oil flush, brake system fluid exchange, and automatic transmission fluid exchange, they said only one of them was needed based on their visual inspection and the other two were needed based on Honda's recommended services based on mileage.

I have not noticed any steering issues or tire issues that would make a 4 wheel alignment needed. It does seem odd though that I had my first tire rotation at 10,250 mi and not again until 30,850 mi (which was my last oil change). Now my maintenance minder is telling me I need a rotation at my next oil change, only 5,000 mi later. Seems odd I went 10,250 mi before my first rotation and then 20,600 mi before my second rotation and then now it tells me I need another rotation after only 5,000 mi.

#7 ·
Maintenance Minder codes are services recommended at the next service. Timing of next service is based on oil life %. CRV displays a wrench when the oil life reaches 15%. I think the tire rotation sub-code 1 comes up with every cycle. The user manual has a list of all sub codes.

#8 ·
Dealer wallet flushes. As to engine flushes, this is off Honda's website: "American Honda strongly recommends against this process, which is sometimes called "engine flushing." Any engine damage resulting from this procedure will not be covered under warranty." http://owners.honda.com/help/faqs

#9 · (Edited)
Informative link, Doug.
Thanks,

CJ, that price for an oil and filter change is decent for 0w20 oil.
You may want to ask the dealer how many qts of atf they use when they perform the automatic transmission fluid (atf) exchange.

Also ask what the engine oil flush is and how it is done.

From Doug's link above (be sure to read it) it states:

"Does my Honda's oil system require periodic flushing?"
"American Honda strongly recommends against this process, which is sometimes called "engine flushing." Any engine damage resulting from this procedure will not be covered under warranty. "
Buffalo4

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.