60K Maintenance
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 60K Maintenance

crv|oc Rank: Member

60K Maintenance

I am trying to budget some stuff and was wondering aprroximately expect to pay for my 60K maintenance. I have seen some posts saying that someone paid almot $1000 for this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    It would help to know the year of your CRV and your location as different generations have different needs as do diesels etc. What does your owners manual tell you to do for such a service or is your dealership telling you to come in?

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerland View Post
    It would help to know the year of your CRV and your location as different generations have different needs as do diesels etc. What does your owners manual tell you to do for such a service or is your dealership telling you to come in?
    That occurred to me after I left my computer... It's a 2004 and I am in Terre Haute (west central), IN. I had planned on taking it into the dealership.

On my 2004 I paid $525 after taxes for my 110,000 maintenance, Rear Differential Fluid change (overdue) and oil change. All done by my local Honda Dealer. Not sure if this a good price or not. I've been slacking off on the schedule maintenance so I just paid it.

60,000 mile service should be cheaper because less items (no spark plugs, etc). Also you won't need the Differential fluid change till 90,000 miles.
    Kris

2004 CRV EX Black (Wife's)

2009 Honda Ridgeline RTL Bali Blue Pearl (my ride)

I'll just toss this in here but I've been told the rear diff should be changed every 15k. I did mine then and it looked pretty used.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerland View Post
    There is no schedule in the owner's manual or anywhere else like in the old days. The maintenance comes up in codes on the dashboard when it is due. The codes will come up when you change the oil.

[
    What is involved in the 60,000 mile service for a 2008 CRV EX 4WD?

60,000 mile service

What is the cost for the 60,000 mile 2008 Honda ex crv 4wd service ? I will take it to the dealer and am in Cincinnati. I go to Superior Honda.
    Last edited by flags6262; 09-22-2010 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Added words

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    The "60k", "110k" etc... servicing is just a way to get you in there and make you spend money that you don't need to spend. As far as scheduled maintenance, CR-Vs need oil changes at regular intervals, transmission drain/fills every once in awhile, the rear diff. fluid changed out and the air filter/cabin air filters changed out. If you are any sort of mechanically inclined you can do all this yourself for a fraction of the cost in a few hours. Spark plugs are silly easy on these motors too but you don't need to worry about that at 60k. All the DIYs/How Tos and threads documenting guys/girls on here doing maintenance you'll ever need are on here and here.

Basically what I am saying is that if you have access to the tools, $100ish for fluids/filters/washers/misc and an afternoon of time you can do the "60k" maintenance and know it was done right because you did it. I'm not trying to be snobbish or make anyone feel like they overpaid/got ripped off but if you do a little research, in the time it would take you to drive to Honda, drop your vehicle off for the 60k that will take a good A tech literally an hour max to do (you will wait longer and be billed for longer) and drive home you can do it all yourself in your driveway for under 1/5 the price figuring $500 is the going rate.
    Last edited by ScottyDsntKnow; 09-22-2010 at 09:50 PM.
    2002 Honda CR-V EX
    2001 Honda CR-V LX
    1995 Ford Cobra SVT

There is really no reason to take it to the dealership if you are the least bit mechnically inclined. The CR-V is a very easy car to work on and you need minimal tools. Here is what I would recommend - you can mail order the parts.

1) Change oil and filter (5w-20 or 0w-20 - Mobil1 synthetic and Mobil 1 filter from Wal-mart of Autozone etc.)
    2) Drain and fill transmission fluid - this is easier than changing the oil. The AT takes 3.3 quarts. Mail order 4 quarts of Honda ATZ-1 and a crush washer. I do this every year.
    3) Drain and fill rear differential if you have AWD. Takes 1.1 quarts - mail order Honda Dualpump II fluid - 2 quarts and 2 crush washers. Get a little plastic pump from the autoparts store. This is really easy to do. I do this every year.
    4) Drain and fill radiator. Mail order Honda antifreeze - just do a drain and fill. Be carefull here - need to drive a bit and check level in radiator (once it cools down). Clean and fill overflow tank also.
    5) Replace brake fluid. A bit more work. Google videos on how to do this. Be careful if you have antilock brakes.
    6) Replace airfilter - mailorder Honda airfilter. Very easy.
    7) Replace 2 cabin airfilter - mailorder 2 filter - very easy - need to drop the glove compartment.
    8) Lubricate hinges, replace wipers if ratty looking. Check to make sure all brake lights and turn signal lights are working.
    9) Wash and wax, vacuum interior.
    10) Balance and rotate tires and have alignment checked.
    11) Check brake linings to see if they need replacing.

It is too early for spark plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by mists_of_morning View Post
    That occurred to me after I left my computer... It's a 2004 and I am in Terre Haute (west central), IN. I had planned on taking it into the dealership.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
    There is really no reason to take it to the dealership if you are the least bit mechnically inclined. The CR-V is a very easy car to work on and you need minimal tools. Here is what I would recommend - you can mail order the parts.

1) Change oil and filter (5w-20 or 0w-20 - Mobil1 synthetic and Mobil 1 filter from Wal-mart of Autozone etc.)
    2) Drain and fill transmission fluid - this is easier than changing the oil. The AT takes 3.3 quarts. Mail order 4 quarts of Honda ATZ-1 and a crush washer. I do this every year.
    3) Drain and fill rear differential if you have AWD. Takes 1.1 quarts - mail order Honda Dualpump II fluid - 2 quarts and 2 crush washers. Get a little plastic pump from the autoparts store. This is really easy to do. I do this every year.
    4) Drain and fill radiator. Mail order Honda antifreeze - just do a drain and fill. Be carefull here - need to drive a bit and check level in radiator (once it cools down). Clean and fill overflow tank also.
    5) Replace brake fluid. A bit more work. Google videos on how to do this. Be careful if you have antilock brakes.
    6) Replace airfilter - mailorder Honda airfilter. Very easy.
    7) Replace 2 cabin airfilter - mailorder 2 filter - very easy - need to drop the glove compartment.
    8) Lubricate hinges, replace wipers if ratty looking. Check to make sure all brake lights and turn signal lights are working.
    9) Wash and wax, vacuum interior.
    10) Balance and rotate tires and have alignment checked.
    11) Check brake linings to see if they need replacing.

It is too early for spark plugs.
    Yep, all of this is just basic maintenance that, when followed, will keep a CR-V happy for a loooooooong time provided you don't beat the heck out of it. No valves or timing belt to worry about on 02-ups are really is nice. My schedule looks like:

-Oil every 4-5k (I don't care what Honda says it is $20 of cheap insurance twice a year)
    -Trans drain/fill once a year or every 3 oil changes, whichever is first.
    -Drain/fill coolant once a year
    -Rotate tires twice a year
    -Inspect my suspension components (tie rod ends, swaybar endlinks, bushings etc...) when I rotate the tires
    -Check brakes when I rotate tires
    -Bleed brakes till I see clean fluid at all 4 corners whenever I do end up having to do new brakes
    -My 01 gets the valves done every 30k and I'll get the timing belt/water pump/accessory belts done again in another 90k or 7 years

Maintenance that I will be looking for as each of my CR-Vs hits 100k+

-Plugs/wires
    -Water Pump on the 02, 01 got done with the timing belt
    -Propeller shaft U joints
    -Adjust the valves even though the 02-up motors don't really need it

I plan on each of my CR-Vs lasting at least another 200k barring any accidents or catastrophic failures from something out of my control. No reason to think these won't make it. I've ridden in and driven a 1999 LX with 330k+ on the clock that has had routine regular maintenance its entire life and if you didn't know it had that high of mileage you would NEVER in a million years guess how much it had on it.
    Last edited by ScottyDsntKnow; 10-01-2010 at 02:28 PM.
    2002 Honda CR-V EX
    2001 Honda CR-V LX
    1995 Ford Cobra SVT

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements