Disc Brake rotor removal
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disc Brake rotor removal

crv|oc Rank: Member

Disc Brake rotor removal

I'm currently trying to replace the pads and rotors of my 2002 CR-V. I have the rotor retaining screws out without a problem, but the rotor is stuck and will not come off. There are two screw holes other than the ones for the retaining screws, that are to be used to thread bolts into and alternately screw in until the rotor comes off. Does anyone know what size bolt (thread and pitch) to use for this? (Or an alternate way to get the rotor off.) I'm now stuck and can't go further. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Craig

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

You don't need to replace the screw, it is only used at the factory for easier installation on the assembly line. You might need to use a large mallet to help lossen the rotor. Mine were like this also, somewhat rusted on.

Smile

Thanks for the help. I used a 5/16 sae bolt and although I'm sure it re-threaded the bolt or the hole, it is ok as the old rotor will be discarded. The new rotor is on and I'm off to do the final three wheels.

Have fun!!

Size of the bolt

It is a 8 mm x 1.25 thread. And I beat on mine for a long time with a mallet and they did not budge. I inserted the bolts and it popped right off.

I'm very much struggling to remove the brake disc retaining screws, which are philips drive flathead, they want to strip. I saw a video where a guy used some type of screwdriver that he whacked on with a mallet/hammer and they came right out. Maybe staged for the camera? Have others had to drill these screws out? thanks.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rkoski View Post
    I'm very much struggling to remove the brake disc retaining screws, which are philips drive flathead, they want to strip. I saw a video where a guy used some type of screwdriver that he whacked on with a mallet/hammer and they came right out. Maybe staged for the camera? Have others had to drill these screws out? thanks.
    Most time and impact driver should do the trick for getting the screws out.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    I don't have an impact driver, and for the price they cost I probably should vs the aggravation of not having one. I usually end up stripping the screws and having to drill them out.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    It's been a long time since I've taken out those rotor screws. Are they JIS screws?

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ajchien View Post
    Are they JIS screws?
    I have NO idea (mine are smeared with anti-seize every time I rotate the tires).

But not being familiar with JIS, I looked here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

And promptly found some things to add to my Christmas Wish List.

Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements