02 CRV....Timing belt or Chain?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 02 CRV....Timing belt or Chain?

crv|oc Rank: Member

02 CRV....Timing belt or Chain?

Lost the maint book.Does it have belt or chain and when does it need to be replaced? Approx Cost?

Thanks
    \db

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Platinum
    Chain chain chain, and I'm pretty sure it never needs to be replaced, and if it does, probably when it breaks, which it may not. Check online, the owner's manual will be somewhere in PDF along with some kind of service record of maintenance, which you may find in a lot of links on this particular forum. 110,000ish is the big service for the 2nd gen. It cost me around $2,000. But that's the only real major service, everything after that is oil changes, and brakes, etc...

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Serj22 View Post
    110,000ish is the big service for the 2nd gen. It cost me around $2,000.

The chain will need to be replaced when it becomes stretched to the service limit. How long it takes to reach that point is in direct correlation to how often the oil is changed. I've had a number of customers needing chain replacement around 80K miles. My Element has over 176K on it and is still going strong with nary a problem. There is an inspection procedure, but in reality once the chain is stretched too far, the MIL will illuminate with a P0341 CKP/CMP phase error.
    Success is 99% failure
    -Soichiro Honda

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    -Winston Churchill

Motorcycle Riding in West Virginia

crv|oc Rank: Platinum
    I had a little discount card because of the anger and fury they gave me for the Odyssey's work, so the entire thing only cost me $800. They did not, however, replace the serpentine belt, which tore two days later... that I got for free as you can imagine...

2004 crv ex is it a Timing belt or chain...

Im looking at a 2004 crv, with 84,000 miles, i had planned as part of the negotiation to have the timing belt changed... then i saw a post in here that says that after 2002 the crv's have a timing chain instead of a belt. whats the year that it changed for sure... THANKS

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by nvrplay2ty View Post
    Im looking at a 2004 crv, with 84,000 miles, i had planned as part of the negotiation to have the timing belt changed... then i saw a post in here that says that after 2002 the crv's have a timing chain instead of a belt. whats the year that it changed for sure... THANKS
    2002 and up all have chains.

On beautiful Oahu, HI/USA - the 50th State
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzurd View Post
    2002 and up all have chains.
    +1 yup, 2002 and newer

when I bought my 2002 CRV, I also thought that it has a belt instead of the chain. I've been driving my CRV for about 13k (105xxx) miles, all I replaced was the chain tensioner (which is known for going bad), and whatever seals that can be replaced since you're going that direction anyways...

I was told that it is really important to change that tensioner. if it goes bad...expensive things happen.

i have a crv mk 2 2002 model does it have a cambelt or chain , and if it has a chain when should it be replaced ? THANKS John

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    roger1.

Why not read the other replies. Your answer is there.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements