Loose(and/or broken) crankshaft pulley?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Loose(and/or broken) crankshaft pulley?

crv|oc Rank: Member

Loose(and/or broken) crankshaft pulley?

Ok, so i'm new to this forum and am in need of some help. Today while driving my car (crv 1998) signaled the check battery light. I was rather worried thinking if it'll be drivable but less than a few seconds later the most strangest whirling sound starts up. i quickly pull into a shopping center and noticed my power steering had almost become disfunctional. after asking my friend to turn the car while checking the motor i notice that the crankshaft pulley was loose and the timing belt had came off. I checked the pulley and it's very very loose and don't know what to do. I've checked many prices to replace the pulley and or crankshaft but don't have the money to have a mechanic repair it....
    Just wondering if anyone here has had to deal with this and or has any advise whether to try to tackle this problem myself. I don't know much about repairs but can spend the time fixing it as long as i need.
    Any help will be appreciated . Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    first i would find out exactly what is wrong. if its too serious id just drop a new engine in it, but thats just me
    [FONT=Arial Narrow]
    [/FONTI drive a 1997 JEEP CHEROKEE
    lifted 8 inches on super swampers
    locked and geared

I have heard of crank pulleys coming loose if the bolt is not properly torque after a timing belt change.

How could you tell the timing belt had come off? You said the engine was still running. Engines don't run without the timing belt and can't be seen with the covers on.

If the timing belt came off while running the valves and pistons may have hit as you have an interference engine.
    2000 EX 5spd in Sebring metallic (US Spec model delivered in Germany)

1999 EX Auto in Black

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    You are probably referring to the belt that drives the alternator or power steering pump. A belt that is loose or has jumped the grooves on the pulleys will definitely give you those symptoms. At any rate, don't start the car! Here's hoping all you need is to retighten the crankshaft bolt and that there is no damage to the crankshaft pulley.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Haven't ever had to do maintenance on the CR-V before but I've rebuilt plenty of motors on other things. If it is one big bolt you'll need to tell us more. How exactly is it loose? Is it wobbly or is it spinning freely on you or what? I have a hard time imagining how someone could screw up so bad that a one piece pulley/balancer could back out and jump the woodruff key.
    Last edited by ScottyDsntKnow; 02-18-2010 at 08:10 PM.

i have the same problem right now same symptoms and everything same modle same year everything it ended up being the bolt that holds the pully broke in mine the bolt was loose so i tightend it and then it came loose again then i went to pull it out to put lock tite on it but it was broken now i have to remove that broken bolt.

check ur ac if you have ac! all my mechanics ive been asking about this issue are saying mostly likely your ac locked up in my case what ever locked up became loose again but make sure it spins free and see if your bolt is broken also

Doing a search, I came across this thread. I am having a similar issue - my crank pulley seems to wobble (while the car is running). The bolt is tight (double checked x3), and nothing appears to have any play or wobble while the engine is off. It isnt severe, it cant be felt while driving around in the car, but I've never seen another crank pulley wobble before so I cant imagine that it is doing this by design. I cant imagine that the cast crank pulley is bent. Is it likely for the key (or either the groove in the crank itself or the pulley) to be the issue? I'd appreciate any ideas.

Cool Same problem exactly

My CRV had exactly the same issue yesterday, this issue is that the pulley is not a one peice drop forged item, it has an in built dempening system whis is what fails. My issue is that i took out an exxtended warranty and due to an accident (broke my back in three places, my sternum in two and both arms) i could not afford to get the vehicle serviced. As this is a non-servicable item i am expecting them to replace as part of warranty because it would not have mattered either way if the vehicle had have been services because they do not do anything to the pulley as a part of the service. Awaiting Hondas response to this issue, hopefully there will be no argument but i am not going to hold my breath, i feel sure there will need to be a heated discussion to resolve this.

Quote Originally Posted by ivan1892 View Post
    Ok, so i'm new to this forum and am in need of some help. Today while driving my car (crv 1998) signaled the check battery light. I was rather worried thinking if it'll be drivable but less than a few seconds later the most strangest whirling sound starts up. i quickly pull into a shopping center and noticed my power steering had almost become disfunctional. after asking my friend to turn the car while checking the motor i notice that the crankshaft pulley was loose and the timing belt had came off. I checked the pulley and it's very very loose and don't know what to do. I've checked many prices to replace the pulley and or crankshaft but don't have the money to have a mechanic repair it....
    Just wondering if anyone here has had to deal with this and or has any advise whether to try to tackle this problem myself. I don't know much about repairs but can spend the time fixing it as long as i need.
    Any help will be appreciated . Thanks.

11. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements