Changing Manual Transmission Fluid
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Changing Manual Transmission Fluid

crv|oc Rank: Member

Changing Manual Transmission Fluid

Does anyone know whether flushing out the transmission fluid for a manual '01 CRV involves a similar process to the one shown in Black Pearl's great rear differential essay - i.e., adding via a tube from underneath the vehicle? I know that on automatic transmission, you can add the fluid from right under the hood, with a simple funnel. Wondering if all manual transmissions are more involved.

In a similar vein, I don't believe there is any indicator dipstick for this fluid (at least on a manual tranny): the owners manual says that to check the level, one has to unscrew a bolt underneath the vehicle.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    On our Generation2, yes, we used a long clear vinyl tube to refill the trans oil. (In fact it's the same one I use to refill the diff fluid). You can buy this tubing at a Home Depot or equivalent. The outer diameter has to be small enough to fit into the fill-bolt hole.

++++++++

Correct, a manual transmission has no dipstick. You check the fluid level by removing the fill plug (upper). MTF should either drip out slowly, or you should be able to feel the fluid inside. If in doubt add a few ounces so that it drips out.

Often you need to "top up" the fluid a little a few months after doing a change, as the level drops once the MTF finds it's way into all the nooks and crannies of the gearbox...
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

It's OK if you disagree with me.
    I can't force you to be right.

Changing the manual transmission fluid is similar to changing the rear end.

Pull the drain then pull the fill plug. Allow the transmission to drain. Replace the crush washers on both plugs and and reinstall the drain plug.

Rather than a hose and funnel, go get an outboard pump for lower end fluid. About 6 bucks at Walmart It screws on to the top of the quart bottles of MTF. Put the hose in the filler plug and pump until fluid starts to run back out.

Install the filler plug and your done.

I have 2 pumps one for MTF and one for DPF (rear end), to prevent cross contamination. I labeled a 1 gal zip lock back for each and store the pumps in them to keep them from accumulating dust and dirt.

The vehicle should be level to get the fill level correct. I put mine up on 4 jack stands and did the transmisison and rear end at the same time.
    2000 EX 5spd in Sebring metallic (US Spec model delivered in Germany)

1999 EX Auto in Black

Fellas, these are fantastic replies - thank you. Brian, I love your suggestions by the way, and was thinking of precisely the same ziploc strategy! That, and putting all the maintenance items into a large size rubbermaid storage tub in the garage for a redundant dust protection level.

By the way, as I'm not familiar with the pumps you mention, can you name a brand or point me in the right direction with a url?

One other tip though that I learned from someone much more experienced than myself: always try to remove the FILL plug first, not the drain. That way, if the fill plug is stuck and won't budge, you haven't already drained the reservoir without any way to refill it, which would mean you'd be stuck without a movable car.

Thanks to all again!

MECP Audio Expert
    the easier way to refill is to pull out the vehicle speed sensor, and fill it there. it is at the rear top of the tranny near the cables. I'm prob going to do mine on thursday night so I can put my spoon magnetic drain plug in while I'm there doing the oil.

Here is a pic of one of the pumps

It is made by seasense. Lubri-matic makes them as well. You can get them at walmart in the boat section or most auto parts stores.

I pull the drain plug first as it prevents a rapid rush of oil that can occur with the filler already removed. But as you mentioned they can stick so it is a good idea to break both loose first.

Illegal are you just measuring the amount and poring it in? JMO but pulling a sensor is just another opportunity to break something especially when the fill port is pretty easy to access.
    2000 EX 5spd in Sebring metallic (US Spec model delivered in Germany)

1999 EX Auto in Black

8. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements