engine dies
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: engine dies

crv|oc Rank: Member

engine dies

Recently, the engine on this car just stopped cold a couple of times while I was driving.

It would restart immediately.

Then a couple of times it would retart, and the minute I released the key die again.

Today it did that, and when my wife (her car, 170,000 mi), took over, USING HER KEY, it started and ran fine.

When we got home we tried switching keys, and it started and stopped again.

I'm thinking bad ignition switch.

Anyone had this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    yeah id say ignition switch, check with your local dealership and see if you vehicle has had it changed before if not you probably qualify to have it fixed under a TSB/recall
    [FONT=Arial Narrow]
    [/FONTI drive a 1997 JEEP CHEROKEE
    lifted 8 inches on super swampers
    locked and geared

They say it was done in 2002, although the center-punch mark on the vin # called for in the recall instrauctions is not there.

Honda says you cannot replace just the key part, you have to buy the whole harness at $250. Is that correct? Is the part all one?

If they did replace it, and it is failing now, does that mean the design of the switch is bad?

Is there any info on the replacements failing as well?

MECP Audio Expert
    shoot....if it was me and I had to buy all that crap...I would prob call one of my buddies up at the local shops and buy a whole used sheering wheel/column. Def cheaper, and it might be an improvement. The civic 96-00 wheel/airbag at least looks the same. Might be worth looking into it.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pearly8 View Post
    They say it was done in 2002, although the center-punch mark on the vin # called for in the recall instrauctions is not there.

Honda says you cannot replace just the key part, you have to buy the whole harness at $250. Is that correct? Is the part all one?

If they did replace it, and it is failing now, does that mean the design of the switch is bad?

Is there any info on the replacements failing as well?
    The recall is only for the electrical part of the switch....not the key
    cylinder itself.

engine dies

Alert: It was the ignition switch-burned contacts.

Why is this important? Because the "fix" for the recall has the same problem as the replaced part. And your engines dies unexpectedly.

The shop that replaced it says it is common for them to replace switches that were replaced in the recall.

If you replaced switch has 70,000 mi or more on it, I would replaced it now.

Beats losing power on a highway somewhere.

8. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements