Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Software update to support Android Auto (hopefully!)

32K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  mthead 
#1 ·
GM is apparently providing owners the opportunity to update their car's infotainment software to support Android Auto. I think this may be the first time Android Auto is made available without requiring people to purchase a head unit or an entire new car. This is a great precedent and we should hope that Honda takes note...

http://www.androidauthority.com/gm-rolls-out-android-auto-updates-677424/

#5 ·
If your Honda doesn't have CarPlay and Android Auto now, it never will.

1. The Honda Ridgeline went an entire decade from 2005 to 2014 no added features. Everything looked and operated the same in 2014 as it did in 2005. On 2009-2014 navigation-equipped models, there was an audio equalization bug that resulted in reduced XM volume and bass response making an already low quality audio source sounded even worse. As a workaround, you could change the source to the CD changer (with at least one, playable CD loaded) then back to XM which would restore proper levels for that ignition cycle. Honda were aware of the issue and chose to take no action. They never will.

2. CarPlay support was beta tested for a few CR-Vs, but the test ended and Honda decided not to offer the feature. That's now dead.

3. Honda are having trouble keeping CarPlay working (among lots of other features) in the 2016 Honda Civic. Only recently, a software update was finally issues after many months to finally address some of the many bugs.

4. GM have awfully big bawls to add features to an existing model via a software update. Too many things can go wrong.

5. The next-generation CR-V whether it'll be a 2017 or 2018 model will almost certainly have both CarPlay and Android Auto support. Hopefully, most of the bugs will be worked out using Civics, Accords, and the new Ridgeline first.

#7 ·
Being a new CRV owner, i was hoping the radio would get an update. My 2014 jeep got... like 7 over the 3 years (and STILL had issues! total junk lol)
Bummer that this will not happen. Seems like a simple thing....
I think the radio software is the only thing I am not fond of in this 2016... its just not very well designed. Example... the radio text. There is a TON of screen space to display it, yet you have to go into the menu to show it? wat?? The phone doesnt let you dial while driving?? (Saftey? no.. lame.. you can change radio stations, you should be able to dial the damn phone - the speech recognition is not very good compared to the uconnect in the jeep)
Even the actual graphics in the radio look like they were done 10 years ago. You cant even take 5 minutes to round the button edges?
Why cant I pick grey for a color on the main screen, but I can for the upper screen?

So many things couldve been done better...

Otherwise, though I love the CRV!! The fact that I get 20+ mpg "city" drving, compare to 12mpg in the jeep is amazing. oh yeah, and it actually goes when you press the gas... (My Jeep was plagued with issues!)

#8 ·
Honda does not make the Radio or the code for the display that goes into it. They buy the Radio from their supplier and the Android underneath is from that supplier. Honda designed the menus and supplied them the the OEM Radio maker.

In theory, if you can figure out how to root the Radio based Android code, you can change anything to what you want it to do unless the function is embedded in the iMid computer. At over $3000 for the Radio (without installation), I will not try to root my Radio, I learned on $35 phones from Walmart to root a device, I can afford that cost, but not a $600 phone or $3000 radio.

#9 ·
I don't think you'll see that, except in the 2017, which probably comes out any day now. IMO, They're not going to upgrade the 2015/2016 model, at this point.

It is good enough, IMO. The nav s/w is terrible, but using a smartphone makes up for it. The bluetooth phone integration works very well, as does the radio.

#10 ·
Android auto isn't going to happen for the '15 /'16, but what Honda absolutely could do and absolutely should do is allow a long press of the steering wheel talk button to trigger OK-Google/Google assistant the same way it does now for Siri. This would take virtually zero programming and would be a satisfier for many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.