Music through the USB port?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music through the USB port?

crv|oc Rank: Member

Music through the USB port?

Hi,

I am here on behalf of my dad, he has the new CR-V and really wants to listen to music through its USB port. I managed to get a 4GB sandisk USB stick to work but it doesn't hold enough songs. I then bought a 16GB sandisk USB stick but that doesn't work, and I read somewhere that it was down to the way the device stores the songs. Ideally I would like a device that stores between 8GB-16GB of music, does anyone know anything that will work (that isn't an ipod)?

Thanks,
    Nicola

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

USB Stick for CRV 2011

Hi, having same problem, for me got 8GB stick and worked like a charm but when using a 32GB then I get a "Not Supported" error in the navi dash.
    I found this app that changes the partition and Its now working with a 16GB partition... The CRV owners manual is lame for this function and tells you nothing about the parameters and limitations of the port, Honda should have put more effort into it.
    Here is the tool I used....
    http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm
    Hope that helps,

Additionally I am noticing anomalies in the song order; it appears sort is by date and not alphabetically,

To correctly prepare your USB Stick with music for the 2011 Honda CRV

How to correctly prepare your USB Stick with music for the 2011 Honda CRV EX-L,
    Use MP3 files.
    You can use 8GB USB Stick or smaller without any problems,
    Size limitation is 16GB stick, if you use 16GB you will need to partition the stick so it is a little under 16GB in size, I partitioned mine for 15GB using this tool. http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm
    For the folder hierarchy on your USB Stick I noticed that the USB sorts by date and not alphabetically (this is characteristics of DOS operating system). I explain in detail later.
    On my PC I made a staging folder & put all my music in it, you should not have any more than 1 folder deep for each artist album with the MP3 files for that CD in it.
    Example: 01
    Artist Name Album Title (for the folder Name)
    (then in the folder)
    01-Track
    02-Track
    03-Track
    04-Track
    Ect. Ect.
    Example:02 (from DOS Prompt using DIR command)
    Directory of D:\CRV_USB\16gb stage
    2/31/2010 08:12 AM <DIR> .
    2/31/2010 08:12 AM <DIR> ..
    2/30/2010 09:02 PM <DIR> Alice Cooper - Hey Stoopid
    2/30/2010 11:36 PM <DIR> Alice Cooper - The Best of Alice Coo
    2/30/2010 09:12 PM <DIR> Allman Brothers - A Decade Of Hits
    2/30/2010 09:02 PM <DIR> Asia Asia
    Once you have all of your albums in the staging folder then do a select all & Copy to the USB Drive, this is important to make sure that your songs are copied alphabetically if you dont do it this in the CRV USB interface your music will not be alphabetical order.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    I was using a 32 GB MicroCenter brand thumbdrive in my 2010 CRV EX-L Nav radio before I got my iPod Nano. I had to make sure Microsoft Windows formatted it as FAT32, not NTFS. It played MP3 files, and M4A files from iTunes, which is the newer, DRM free format. The radio indicated the iTunes files as "AAC" files.

...and yes, the sorting problem drove me crazy, which is why I got the iPod Nano.

Just picked up my new I DTEC and plugged the ipod nano into the USB port and it works well. Can access all the functionality of the ipod

lak
    I will have to try this method with my 2014 CRV it is good advice!

I WISH someone could explain why Honda as well as all other vendors refuse to support USB sticks. I am an old programmer, and it seems to me that an mp3 tag is an mp3 tag regardless if you are reading an IPOD, USB stick, or Bluetooth wireless device!

hello people; A co-worker suggested a nano 7 for this purpace as his wife has a V. I got the nano and has done nothing but register and get somewhat setup on I tunes. But I've asked this here with no responces and that is how does a nano behave
    with heat and cold if you leave it in your V.
    IBBY

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Stay within these specs (from Apple Support Site) and you will be fine...

Environmental Requirements:

Operating temperature: 32 to 95 F (0 to 35 C)
    Non-operating (Storage) temperature: -4 to 113 F (-20 to 45 C)
    Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
    Operating altitude: tested up to 10,000 feet (3000 m)
    Jepalan
    ----------------------------------------
    2012 CR-V EX AWD Urban Titanium

hello people; Thanks for the help Jepalan. When I do get to driving my V on a daily bases I think I'll be taking the nano in at night. Any of you V owners using one?
    IBBY

Hello people. I have just bought an 2014 CRV (Basic Sound with iMid, with Bluetooth , without Nav).
    I did not receive the Car yet. The Stereo has USB input, and I am Curious how it works with iPod Classic 80gb (circa 2008) or iPhone 5.
    I have 70gb of music the iPod and 50gb on the iPhone.
    Does it read all the Songs on iPod or iPhone???
    Is it better to use smaller 16gb Usb sticks???

Thanks

Antonio

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements