2012 CR-V EXL Audio/Subwoofer - Page 3
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 CR-V EXL Audio/Subwoofer

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuktanuk View Post
    Well technically speaking.... there is more that can be done. You just need to be willing to replaced the cheap paper cone speakers for Some Quality ones.
    The discussion here hasn't been about making the system better through replacing speakers. That's an obvious answer. The discussion has been about improving the bass using the factory subwoofer.
    Last edited by CIGARGUY; 02-12-2012 at 02:08 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kbook View Post
    Cigarguy,

Actually, some 6" are very good.
    I'm quite familiar with what's available on the market. I spent 10 years in the car stereo industry designing and building sound quality systems (not the ridiculous bass heavy systems you hear around shopping malls) for competition vehicles. I owned a shop in Louisville, KY that had a reputation that drew customers from several states. I was the first sound quality judge in the state of KY for the International Auto Sound Challenge Association (IASCA, now defunct). I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but just trying to establish that I'm very familiar and aware of what I'm talking about. That being said, the OEM sub is simply not capable of producing, what I consider to be, decent bass output.

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Cigarguy,

I am an home audio person. I do not like the overpowered bass. My philosophy to the sound system is the sound reproduction.
    Teenager style super sub won't impress me at all. Our Sub in CR-V's quality is just poor. It might be the driver's quality, the box design or an overrated amplifier itself. The output of the sub is just too low.

Could you give me what are the criteria when it comes to the auto audio? what are to look for ? Thanks.

I am trying to tell Tuktanuk that there are a lots of factors that contributes to the quality of sound such as a voice coils, a magnet, a cone and a box design: bass reflex (ported) and acoustic suspension subwoofer. Paper is not a bad material based on a testing. Bass production from paper cone is great. However, I won't be able to provide an article to support at this time. I read it long time ago.

I am an anti-kevlar :P lol

Does anyone know on the 2012 CRV ex, if the rear Honda logo (on the trunk) is just stuck on with glue or if there are holes drilled into the body? Any help will be appreciated!! I'd like to debadge it if its easy.

Kbook, you are correct that there are many factor that go into choosing the right sub. Probably the biggest misconception is that having a good quality speaker and amplifier is all that's needed. Honestly, the biggest part of good sound in a car is knowing how to properly use the equipment you're installing. I've heard mulit-thousand dollar systems sound terrible because the installer didn't understand how to get the most out of the components, and I've heard average equipment sound fantastic because the installer understood what needed to be done. For sound quality, I always prefer a sealed enclosure. Typically, the sound is smoother, the low end extension is better, and it doesn't produce the boominess that a vented, isobaric, or 7th order enclosure will. I like the sound of a poly cone, and they usually hold up better to the extreme heat and cold it's exposed to in a car environment. Unlike home audio, don't get too hung up on power ratings, magnet size, etc. I usually look for frequency response of 20hz or lower, and the highest sensitivity I can find. Being in a car automatically gives you a 3 db boost over using the sub in a home environment, so going super large is just overkill. I always use a single 10" in my personal cars and feel that it's just right in being able to reproduce the low frequencies without being too overpowering. Remember, the goal isn't to FEEL the low end, it's to hear it. Without a properly tuned sub in a car audio system, people are missing SO much of their favorite recordings, regardless of what type of music it is.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    save the filling rattling bass for the kids..... I've got plenty of years experience with Audio systems and components behind me and I know what it takes to design and install a system for clarity. I was thinking of just replacing the 6" sub woofer with something a bit better quality but I may end up just replacing it all together. Honda has got a lot of work to do before they are even on par with other auto makers as far as sound volume and quality/clarity. I honestly never expected something beautiful sounding but what I have now is just horrid. Changes are abound as soon as time/money allow for it. Sad really; Just as I thought I was getting a bit on in age to be crawling around in cars replacing components.... here we go again.

Quote Originally Posted by CIGARGUY View Post
    I'm quite familiar with what's available on the market. I spent 10 years in the car stereo industry designing and building sound quality systems (not the ridiculous bass heavy systems you hear around shopping malls) for competition vehicles. I owned a shop in Louisville, KY that had a reputation that drew customers from several states. I was the first sound quality judge in the state of KY for the International Auto Sound Challenge Association (IASCA, now defunct). I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but just trying to establish that I'm very familiar and aware of what I'm talking about. That being said, the OEM sub is simply not capable of producing, what I consider to be, decent bass output.
    So CigarGuy, can you enlighten us with a recommendation of what 6" Sub you would recommend as a replacement given your extensive years in the business as you stated above?

Thanks and we will all wait to hear from you.

Has anybody considered taking out the stock sub and replacing the whole thing with something like this?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=267-7178

There's also a BOSS 8" and 10" models on the site too. I was looking at the stock sub the other day and it looks like it would be pretty easy to take out and replace. My only concern is it looks just like 2 wires coming to the stock, so that means it is getting an amplified signal already. So I'm not sure how good one of these would sound using the high level input from an amplified signal. Any thoughts on if it would be worth it or if it would just make it sound like crap?

Quote Originally Posted by Snickolaz View Post
    Has anybody considered taking out the stock sub and replacing the whole thing with something like this?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=267-7178

There's also a BOSS 8" and 10" models on the site too. I was looking at the stock sub the other day and it looks like it would be pretty easy to take out and replace. My only concern is it looks just like 2 wires coming to the stock, so that means it is getting an amplified signal already. So I'm not sure how good one of these would sound using the high level input from an amplified signal. Any thoughts on if it would be worth it or if it would just make it sound like crap?
    That's pretty cool. Do you think it will fit where the stock one goes? Not sure how it will sound since the stock is already amplified but may be worth some more research. I was thinking of just replacing the speaker with this one:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-831

I know its a 5.25 and the stock is a 6" but a spacer would work. Still deciding though and will upload picks no matter what route I go. I just can't seem to find a 6" sub anywhere.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    You would need to install an LOC like the one in this thread: Installed JL Audio compact sub + tiny amp + active LOC (pics!)
    Having said that; If I were going to go the powered sub route; it would certainly not be a Pyle or Boss system. Boss and Pyle are really inferior products and are cheap for a reason. I was thinking of a 6" sub myself but in the end; at least an 8" is needed for the low end Frequency reproduction with a 10" being optimal. In the 8" size; it may still be possible to install under the seat but; the factory sub measurements should still be taken to be sure they'll fit. The problem then becomes; the Passenger is going to have one hell of a ride with an actual sub right under their rear end. I'm still flopping around with what I should do for my own system but, I'm thinking I might end up with a sub in the rear of the CR-V.

Try looking into these:
    Kicker 11SH8
    Sound Ordnance B-8PT

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements