What ipods are compatible with the 2012?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What ipods are compatible with the 2012?

crv|oc Rank: Member

What ipods are compatible with the 2012?

I don't have an ipod (yeah, I'm WAY behind on the times), but my aunt is giving me one of her older ones (they all have iphones and the ipods are just collecting dust). I'll admit that I'm new to the whole ipod thing, but putting music on a playlist there will be alot cheaper than buying satellite radio, and pandora isn't an option since I don't have an iphone (and they're not available on my carrier, plus I don't have a smartphone at this time, and don't really want to have to upgrade to one...lol. I'm content with the old stuff. If it weren't for wanting older country music, I wouldn't even entertain the idea of an ipod). I saw something somewhere that the only ipods compatible with the USB port on the 2012s was the Nano, Video, and all 5th generation ipods. Now, the only ipods that are in 5th gen (from what I can find on the net anyway) are the Classic and the Nano. Does this mean that for the ipod I'm getting from my aunt has to be one of these 3? (Nano, Video, or Classic 3rd gen.) Or are there others (like the shuffle) that will still work? Thanks in advance, and I apologize that all my information is net-based...LOL.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    While my experience on this is with our 11 civic, we have an ancient gen 2 ipod and it works fine with the USB plug. If you are getting it free don't worry about giving it a try, all you will need is the white apple cord to plug in. Our 07 CRV still has to be plugged into the AUX button and you can't see any of the song info...unlike our 11 Civic.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Pretty much all of the older iPod's will work. The CR-V has a USB plug/port. All you need is the iPod adapter (USB-iPod plug) and it should just work. I have an older iPod (5th gen... I think) that is the "brick" style with the click wheel and an internal HDD and it works flawlessly. Charges while in use through the USB port as well. All information including the album art shows on the I-Mid as well. I've never been a fan of Apple products but ended up buying the iPod because it is pretty much the only one that has integration for everything. It's pretty old and I've cracked it open to replace the battery twice so far. I keep it for long trips or for when I can't stream Pandora. The Honda site says the iPod classic may be the exception to compatibility though. You DO have another option as well...... A plain and simple USB memory stick. I bought a 16GB corsair memory stick, loaded it with music (including Album covers) and put it in my Wife's Crosstour. again works flawlessly and I did it for less than 30.00. No need to worry about syncing/charging etc. etc. When my current iPod dies; I plan on going the Memory stick route for areas or times where I can't use Pandora.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuktanuk View Post
    Pretty much all of the older iPod's will work. The CR-V has a USB plug/port. All you need is the iPod adapter (USB-iPod plug) and it should just work. I have an older iPod (5th gen... I think) that is the "brick" style with the click wheel and an internal HDD and it works flawlessly. Charges while in use through the USB port as well. All information including the album art shows on the I-Mid as well. I've never been a fan of Apple products but ended up buying the iPod because it is pretty much the only one that has integration for everything. It's pretty old and I've cracked it open to replace the battery twice so far. I keep it for long trips or for when I can't stream Pandora. The Honda site says the iPod classic may be the exception to compatibility though. You DO have another option as well...... A plain and simple USB memory stick. I bought a 16GB corsair memory stick, loaded it with music (including Album covers) and put it in my Wife's Crosstour. again works flawlessly and I did it for less than 30.00. No need to worry about syncing/charging etc. etc. When my current iPod dies; I plan on going the Memory stick route for areas or times where I can't use Pandora.
    I thought about going the flash card route, but was worried about the flash drive breaking. Granted, it won't be much $$ to replace it (those things are practically a dime a dozen these days), but for some reason thought it'd be a pain in the *** to put everything back on the new one. Now that I'm thinking about it more, it'd probably be the same pain if I ever decide to upgrade the ipod later. Think I'm just gonna try the free ipod and see what happens, and if it doesn't work, I'll just go the flash drive route. Thanks, everyone!!

Pretty much all of the older iPod's will work.
    unfortunately my iPod mini didn't work with 2012. It's pretty beaten up and old so I could understand it not working with system but that was also reason I wanted to use it in the car. That way I could have just left it in car and forget about it.

I have an older iPod (5th gen... I think) that is the "brick" style with the click wheel and an internal HDD and it works flawlessly.
    Good to hear it since I was about to try it again tomorrow.

I thought I'd try leaving my iPod 4th Generation (60GB if that matters) in the car as a permanent juke box, but the CR-V was unable to read it.

I only considered using the old iPod because of all the silly issues the CR-V has with the bluetooth music streaming for my iPhone4. (I'm sure there are a number of threads about that - I've read a few)

This is basic stuff, with competitors nailing these issues left right and center. I hope Honda issues a software upgrade that will address these issues. (do they even do that sort of thing?)

Anyhoo, I guess I'll go the USB route.

I have a 2nd Gen iPod Touch that I keep in the car all the time (2012 EX) and it will not display album art. All I get is the ipod icon where the album art should be. My Touch has been updated to latest iOS, iTunes is up to date.

Would like to hear from others with 2nd Gen iPod Touch who can confirm album art does not work, or who can offer advice on how to get it to work. I even tried deleting and regenerating *all* my album art in iTunes (major PITA).
    Jepalan
    ----------------------------------------
    2012 CR-V EX AWD Urban Titanium

Solved my issue with 2nd Gen iPod Touch album art. After reloading all album art in iTunes, I simply had to restart (completely turn off then on) my iPod. Once I reset the ipod, all album art starting working again.
    Last edited by Jepalan; 09-29-2012 at 08:41 AM.
    Jepalan
    ----------------------------------------
    2012 CR-V EX AWD Urban Titanium

Has anyone heard of Slacker Radio? I pay $4 per month and I can cache up to 25 stations on my iPod touch. I used to have satellite radio, but I hated it. I have a bunch of music on my iPod, but I don't mind paying the money for such a nice program to show me some new music. I can skip all the songs I want too. I don't work for Slacker, I am just a really satisfied user.

11. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements