Quirky Audio System in 2012 CRV LX
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quirky Audio System in 2012 CRV LX

crv|oc Rank: Member

Quirky Audio System in 2012 CRV LX

New member and CRV owner:

On the 2012 CRV LX, the audio system, particularly the USB is quirky. My iPhone 4s streams great via bluetooth, although sometimes there is a skip. However when connecting the USB there is no audio. I determined that bluetooth needs to be disabled on the phone in-order for audio to play via USB. This defeats the purpose of bluetooth. The other thing I found is that there is no way to start and stop a song. The only way to turn off a song is to use the "power" button to power the system off. Seems like Honda took the cheap route and did not install a start/stop button.

I called Honda Customer Service and they stated that this is a "known" issue with the iPhone and blame Apple. In fact it was after the fact that I 'discovered' that BT needs to be disabled.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Here is what I discovered.

After much trial and error I have found the steps that I must take to make the USB and the Bluetooth work together. It seems that the iPhone sends music over the "last connection it completes" So if you have Bluetooth and USB, hook the USB up last and it will switch to that. Hook the USB up before the Bluetooth connects and it will switch to Bluetooth when it connects and kill the audio to the USB port.

Here are the steps.

1. Start car
    2. Wait for Bluetooth to connect
    3. Plug in USB cable
    4. Pandora will start to play thru the USB connection.

Caveat #1: In order for Pandora to start automatically it must be active on your iPhone. Not open on the screen but active in the dock, otherwise your iTunes library will start to play instead.

Caveat #2: When Pandora starts to play over the USB it will play the last station you had set, but you will not be able to change stations from the controls on the dash UNLESS you tap the Pandora icon on the iPhone first. Once you tap the icon Pandora will go into accessory mode and you will have full control from the dashboard from there out until you turn off the car.

If it were not for the fact that I want my phone calls to go thru the Bluetooth I would just use the USB only, but USB won't pass calls thru the car speakers. If you turn off the Bluetooth then USB works perfectly with no steps at all, just connect and go.

Thanks for your reply. You know what I just tested it and it works. I must have been doing something wrong. I am not interested in Pandora but the music on my phone.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by yashinon; 04-18-2012 at 08:45 PM.

Yes my method still works in fact your music on your iPhone will start playing automatically as soon as you hook up the USB cable

Quote Originally Posted by yashinon View Post
    Thanks for your reply. You know what I just tested it and it works. I must have been doing something wrong. I am not interested in Pandora but the music on my phone.

Thanks again!
    Might want to consider using a flash drive instead of your iPhone. I figured above out pretty quickly AND I didn't want to have to plug/unplug something each time I enter/exit the car. I'm using an 8G flash drive on which I have stored MP3s from 142 CDs at 192K - and of course it stays plugged in all the time. Only 1 very small gotcha - doesn't display album art from a flash drive - owner's manual doesn't mention it for flash drives but does for iPod/iPhone & Pandora. iPhone stays in my pocket and works great w/ Bluetooth.

does anyone have issues resuming audio play after an Event stops it? This occurs with Pandora, or iPhone using bluetooth or USB as source. By Event I mean something that stops audio play. Examples:

1. Pandora or iPhone is playing audio via bluetooth or USB. A phone call comes through via bluetooth and audio stops. Either take the call or ignore it. I cannot get music to start again

2. Pandora or iPhone is playing audio via bluetooth or USB. I press audio pwr button to turn off audio. I cannot get music to start again

The only way to recover is
    bluetooth: turn off and on ignition
    USB: disconnect and reconnect device. That has not always worked though

similar issues are reported in this thread: Problems with USB in 2012

My radio reception in my 2012 CRV is really bad. So I borrowed a friends Ipod Nano thinking I would buy one to play music in the car. 1st song played beautifully and then the 2nd song started and then stopped and I got a flashing message "unsupported". I've unhooked everything, booted the Nano and the same thing keeps happening. Any ideas or maybe I should look into a different MP3 to play music? Thx!!

10. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements