Question about installing an audio amp in a 99' CR-V
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about installing an audio amp in a 99' CR-V

crv|oc Rank: Member

Question about installing an audio amp in a 99' CR-V

Hi guys,

I have very slowly been trying to improve the sound of my CR-V.
    It has a new head unit (installed by previous owner) which i then upgraded the speakers for.

My next step is to install a sub which is going to need an amp to power it.

After having installed new speakers in the back i noticed on the left hand side there is a 12V socket in the boot.
    This may seem like an odd question, but would i be able to use the power cable that is supplying this to power an amp in the boot for the sub?
    Or am i barking up the wrong tree and still need to run power straight from the battery?

I also noticed a separate wiring loom that was not what the stock speakers were plugged into, can anyone let me know what those are for?
    (my head unit has a separate volume control for a sub so i was hoping there might be wires for it already down the back?)

P.S i have not bought an amp yet, so suggestions are welcome in that respect also.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers,
    Britt

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    My 2 cents...

1. You should not use the 12v accessory power for a sub amp - the wire gauge is too small and you will get too much voltage drop to your amp (and likely blow fuses).

2. You will have to run a separate power wire from the battery. The wire gauge depends on size of amp. The user's manual for the amp you buy will recommend a size - typically at least 8 gauge. Yes - it is a pain running this through firewall and car, but needed.

3. Would have no idea which "unused" wiring loom you are referring to without more detailed description, BUT it doesn't matter. You will need to run a separate *shielded* good quality RCA cable form the sub-out on your head unit to the amp input, otherwise you are likely to pick up a lot of noise - especially if you use unshielded wires in an existing loom.

Note: you can get amp wiring kits from companies like "StreetWires" that have everything you need (power, ground, RCA cables, and remote on/off control wire (for the 'Remote' output from your head unit to control amp power on/off). You just need to know what size wire your amp manufacturer recommends.

J
    Jepalan
    ----------------------------------------
    2012 CR-V EX AWD Urban Titanium

Thanks Jepalan,

sounds like its going to take a bit more work. But i'd rather that and have good sound than go a dodgy way about it.
    Thanks for the advice

Do not use he power outlet in back. As stated above you will run into major issues. If you plan on having a decent system but nothing too crazy invest in a decent 4awg wire kit with a decent distribution block, if you think you might go bigger than run 2awg. Find the best prices on eBay, don't cheap out on the kit though, spend at least 40 or 50 bucks, make sure it comes with a decent sized inline fuse, 100a or more preferably. When it comes to an amp you get what you pay for. I'm old school through and through, nothing but Orion in my car, pre 2000, not DEI China made crap. Find something decent or USA made if you can. Depending on the sub will tell you how big or how much power you need. Grab a 1000 watt mono block and it should handle most entry level and tier 1 subs. Check out Memphis Car Audio, Alpine makes decent amps, NOT Crunch, or Insignia, or cheap generic crap, you will regret it in the long run. Whats your budget?

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Having spent 10+ years owning a car stereo shop that specialized in competition vehicles, I would edit some of the advice just given. Rarely will you need a 2awg or even a 4awg kit if you plan to run a modest set up. Decide on your sub(s) first. That will help you determine which amp you will need. I you only plan to run a single 10" or 12", there are tons of amps out there that will do the job well. If you're expecting earth shaking bass, and plan to go with multiple, large diameter subs, then you will need a much larger amp. People get too hung up on a couple of things: the power rating of the subs, and the power rating of the amp. Personally, I prefer to run my systems off of high quality components and don't really worry about having "1000 watts" or whatever the latest trend is. Let us know what your expectations are and we can better help steer you towards products that will work well without breaking the bank.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    I completely agree with CIGARGUY re wire gauge. I always use 8 awg power to my amps and have never had an issue. BUT - I'm not entering SPL competitions with a kilowatt of subsonic power - I just want full, natural sound. So, as he said, it depends on your goal.
    Jepalan
    ----------------------------------------
    2012 CR-V EX AWD Urban Titanium

8. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements