Looking to replace the audio/navigation unit in my 2011 EX-L w/Navigation
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!
Thanks Thanks: 0
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking to replace the audio/navigation unit in my 2011 EX-L w/Navigation

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

Looking to replace the audio/navigation unit in my 2011 EX-L w/Navigation

I bought a used 2011 EX-L w/Navigation and was disappointed to learn later that my Android phone isn't compatible with the Bluetooth entertainment system and that the navigation updates are ludicrously expensive.

Is there a unit I can buy to replace the system that will work with the existing back-up camera, has decent navigation w/free/low-cost updates, and will play nice with my bluetooth/cd-changer/aux jack/etc.?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)
    Most brands have head units with most of the features you want, but probably not all of them in a single unit.

If you are self installing, I would suggest you start by looking for harnesses and wiring diagrams for your specific make and model to see how and what might be connected. Once you find out what you will be able to keep, then start looking for head units that support those features.

CD-changer is possibly the most difficult one you mentioned.

Bluetooth would be built into the head unit, you would not use the car Bluetooth.

Aux Jack is just a case of connecting the correct wires, presuming the head unit has an Aux Input.

I think there is a harness for the backup camera that turns it into RCA, which most aftermarket head units use for input.

If you have a phone that supports it, look for a head unit that supports Android Auto, that will give you your free navigation updates. Pioneer NEX series support it, don't know what others.

If you are having a shop install it, talk to them about what you can keep working.
    Last edited by 493008; 05-13-2015 at 12:00 PM.

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    Thank you so much. I'm really clueless when it comes to car electronics. And honestly, I could take or leave the CD-changer, since I'd have to actually rummage around to fill all the slots.

Do you have a resource that might have the harnesses/wiring diagrams?

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    For wiring diagrams, try some Google searches using any wording combinations you can find. Failing that, there is https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp which you can pay for a day pass. I would look at harnesses before paying for wiring diagrams.

Harnesses; http://scosche.com and http://metra.com are the two big manufactures. You should also look at crutchfield.com carid.com and any other store you might come across.

Almost all of them have a search by make, model, and year to list just what works in your car.

Thanks (Received)
    I also suggest reading Replacing factory speakers on 08-V even if you are only replacing the radio.

And although it is about the generation after yours, you might want to read through this whole thread i-mid after aftermarket installation

If you have steering wheel controls, you will need an interface to keep them. Both of those threads talk about them and other install information.
    Last edited by 493008; 05-14-2015 at 07:43 AM.

8. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread