2012 EX High Pitched Engine Whine?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 EX High Pitched Engine Whine?

crv|oc Rank: Member

2012 EX High Pitched Engine Whine?

My 2012 EX AWD is 3 weeks old and exhibiting some sort of "engine whine." This only seems to happen between 55 and 65 mph. Naturally I noticed it on our first highway trip. I feel almost certain that it is not tire related.

It's most noticeable using speed control set at 55 for fuel efficiency. It's not loud and I'm sure that some folks wouldn't even notice it (my wife did not) but I have sensitive hearing to high pitched sounds.I've notified the dealer and will take it in soon but other threads experiencing the same noise (all 2012 EX AWD) didn't seem to be getting much dealer satisfaction. I won't hold my breath on this.

Anyone out there hear about this phenomina?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Hi, my EX-L with about 5k miles now has exhibited a mild whine at around those speeds since new. Slower or faster the whine is gone. I will have to make note of those speeds and post back. Sound to me like some kind of drive-line sound.

Yes, it does seem as though others on this site are experiencing a similar phenomina. See this forums section on "complaints and issues for more discussions. Although I have emailed my dealer, I have not made an appointment since I wanted to experience it once more and can't do this until next weekend when I plan to be on the interstate etc.

Honestly, the cockpit / cabin is so quiet that its no wonder sounds can be apparent. While driving our EX locally (with speeds at 50 or below), the sound just does not manifest and the interior is extreemely quiet. On the other hand it's most noticeable while in Cruise Control since I can set it for 55 or 60 (which is where it begins and is most noticeable) and listen in a concentrated manner. Yes, you're right that if you accellerate / decellerate quickly, you really don't notice it very much at all.

In the end, I doubt if anything can be done but it nevertheless does irratate me knowing that some folks out there "may" not be experiencing it while others are. And of course, these little critters were not cheap. So, the beat goes on.

My take is that is that we'll just have to live with this. Thanks for touching base.

Reviews published by Consumers Reports said that the engine in the CR-V was noisy. For 2012, Honda added additional sound-proofing in respons to user complaints.

My 2012 EX 2WD doesn't exhibit any kind of whine, so I wonder if maybe it's coming from the AWD transfer case? I've had some rear wheel drive cars that had differential whine issues at around that speed range, although I'm sure it varies from car to car based on gear ratios, tire size, etc.

I don't know. I guess its plausible. I just returned from a 300 mile round trip and noticed the following: it kicks in around 55 and seems to deminish around 65. If it's there past 65, I don't notice it. If you accelerate / decelerate reletively quickly, you may not even notice it at all. Honestly, now that I have about 1800 miles on the engine, I've grown accustomed to it even with my sensitive hearing. I'm very impressed with the overall quietness and comfort of the CRV. Like I've said before, if it wasn't so quiet in the "cabin," I probably wouldn't even hear the "wine." Maybe I'm just getting blase about it. It's very nice. I guess I'll take it into Honda for their take but it seems like the majority of drivers don't have this issue. So, I doubt if much of anything will be done. Thanks for your comments.

Billybob is right, it kicks in around 55 and the sound goes down after that. I noticed this a lot this past weekend. Somebody on some post said they only heard it when it was cold outside. I've heard it all the way up to 80ish outside, so I don't think the temp outside has any affect on it. I'm kind of thinking it's more of a whistle from the wind more than and engine noise myself though. Maybe a bad seal or something in the door?

Snickolaz,

Mine isn't due to wind. I'd think that even if it was, it would tend to increase with higher speeds etc. Instead, it seems to deminish / vanish with speeds in excesss of 65 mph. It definately is an engine or drive train whine. I'm so certain of this that I'd bet money on it. It occurs in warm or cold weather and on all road surfaces. Oh well, I guess it could be a lot worse. Drive safe.

I have a 2012 CRV LX. And I have been having the whining noise too and its between 55 and 65 as well. Let off the pedal and it goes away and push it again and it comes back. It doesnt do it all the time. I was wondering what it was too. Definitely coming from the engine, I know that

6000 miles, 3 months old. The whine intrudes at any speed below 55mph. It will do it when idling with clutch depressed, so not gearbox / transmission. Dealer's CRV the same at 4K miles (less so than mine). Very disappointed with Honda UK response so far. Bought 3 CRVs in 4 years (I do high miles), probably last one after this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements