Battery replacement
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Battery replacement

crv|oc Rank: Member

Battery replacement

Noticed on other forums that it's necessary to re-code the radio/cd players after battery replacement. Why not parallel the battery cable connectors with a 12 volt source during the change-out? Save a lot of trouble.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by BudS View Post
    Noticed on other forums that it's necessary to re-code the radio/cd players after battery replacement. Why not parallel the battery cable connectors with a 12 volt source during the change-out? Save a lot of trouble.
    That is a LOT more trouble than just entering in the code.

It is a four or five digit code that takes literally seconds to enter.
    Mitch

2003 CR-V EX 4A Chianti Red - K&N Typhoon SRI - Alpine/Orion 10" Sub and Amp - Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S 215/70-15 - Garmin Nuvi Navigation - Osram SilverStar
    2010 MAZDASPEED3 Liquid Silver - CP-E SRI - CP-E Turbo Inlet Pipe - Corksport Race Pipe - MTEC Super White & Golden Yellow bulbs - 35% Tint coming soon - CP-E downpipe coming soon
    1990 Mazda Miata - (Track Machine) Stock, for now

I highly recommend anyone changing their battery in a CRV, which has one of these radios, to check to see if they have the reset code number. Recently I changed the battery on my '01 CRV EX. My radio would not work after the battery install. Luckily, located in the glovebox was a little sticker which had the radio serial number. The Honda dealer was able to look up the radio reset code. If this sticker was not there, I would not have a working radio. (Most likely the serial # is also located on the radio but.....)

Quote Originally Posted by sleeksilver View Post
    That is a LOT more trouble than just entering in the code.

It is a four or five digit code that takes literally seconds to enter.
    I agree mate.
    First time my battery went flat, I called my local Honda guy, he asked me my name, registration number and VIN #, and gave the code over the phone.
    As a radio ham that makes constant changes to the radio gear in my CR-V, I know my reset code off by heart, I mean, it is only 4 numbers.
    As an electrician, I know that a system like the one suggested would be a waste of time and money.
    Sorry, but I had to say it.
    Last edited by Mike NZ; 04-05-2009 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Add other stuff
    Cheers,
    Mike T.

2002 Honda CR-V RVI 5D MT 2.4L Wagon, 275,000kms and still running like clock-work.

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    I don't get it? What is the big deal about a smaller version of jumper wires keeping the system alive during the battery swap process. Four alligator clips and a couple of pieces of 16 ga or 20 ga wire. That is it. If a clip falls off then you revert to the code. Either method works.

If you do not have the code and the dealer is closed or does not have you as the owner of record, having a third battery like a motorcycle 12V battery makes it the easiest. That way you are less likely to interrupt the 12V while swapping the the old and new battery. You just connect the motorcycle battery negative cable to chassis ground and the positive cable securely to the stud on the positive battery cable's connector. Like with a 1/4" lug terminal and a nut that fits on the 6mm stud so it cannot fall off. You only need to grab a few threads so as long as you have them you are all set.

I wonder if a 2A. trickle charger would work in place of the motorcycle battery? As long as the voltage does not exceed 15V with no battery connected... Just to make sure no damage occurs from too high of an output voltage the code always works. Or does it?

I will have to take a good look at my '08 just to see how it is set up. I keep my code tag on the original key ring the dealer gave me with the keys. Just in case I also wrote it on an inconspicuous place of the owners manual.

Ironic how Honda goes to all the effort to make the stereo theft proof and all we do is try to defeat it! By writing the code on the Owner's Manual for instance.

-Rg

7. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements