Shifting in and Out of Neutral
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shifting in and Out of Neutral

crv|oc Rank: Member

Shifting in and Out of Neutral

So I was wondering if it was harmful to my transmission if I were to be switching in and out of neutral while driving. Whenever I am coasting down a long hill or anything like that I sometimes shift the car into neutral, and then shift back into drive after coming to a complete stop.

Sometimes when I don't come to a complete stop when I shift back into drive I rev the engine up to maybe 2000 RPMS before putting it back.

Am I doing anything harmful to the car's transmission?

-MC

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    I am assuming that it is an automatic trans. If this is the case, it isn't super bad, but then again its not how the trans was made to work. You might notice the transmission wearing out faster towards the end of its life.

I wouldn't recomend doing this. If I was on a long grade, I would take the overdrive off and use the trans to help me stay at a more constant speed without using up the breaks, but I wouldn't recomend putting it into neutral.
    2000 Cr-v 5spd. xplode/mtx audio. custom flip mod

crv|oc Rank: Platinum
    I've never uderstood why some people choose to shift into neutral when going downhill, it appears to use more gas, since the revs go up... and then when you reach a stop sign or something and forget you were in neutral... and you push gas... and nothing happens, because you forgot. Same thing wih shifting from 1st to second to drive, it heats the transmission a little, and the life may not be as long since it will allow the revs to go much higher, but no real physical harm if you're doing it right.

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    what about starting in 1st then shift to 2nd then drive, as if it was a manual?
    [FONT=Arial Narrow]
    [/FONTI drive a 1997 JEEP CHEROKEE
    lifted 8 inches on super swampers
    locked and geared

I've wondered that same thing myself Chris, since I do that sometimes, and all information sources point to: don't do it a lot, but it won't do harm. since the car will rev more than normal, and don't let it go too much higher than the car already goes in auto mode. Also first on my V tends to end at about 15MPH before it just keeps spinning with little power, and then 2nd lasts till about 30, and then you have to use D for 30 to 80. It'd be nicer if there was a little more control, but then again, the Cr-v doesn't have one of those sport shifters like the Audi I had did, where you could pop the auto over into its own special slot, and you had gears over there like a manual. That was nice.

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Honda should put manumatics in their cars like Hyundai and Kia.
    Nothing is as cool as rollin' thru da hood with 122 cubic inches

that would be great, i found i can accelerate faster when i manually go from 1 to 2 to D. i agree i wish i had paddle shifters
    [FONT=Arial Narrow]
    locked and geared

MECP Audio Expert
    in a lot of states it is illegal to shift to N on a decline of a hill. Big Trucks used to do this a lot.

i hate when semi's use their jake brakes.
    [FONT=Arial Narrow]
    locked and geared

Quote Originally Posted by illegal View Post
    in a lot of states it is illegal to shift to N on a decline of a hill.
    Holy crap! Seriously? It seems like a cop wouldn't be able to tell...

Quote Originally Posted by GTCB-chris View Post
    i hate when semi's use their jake brakes.
    Jake brakes are one of the more genious ideas trucks have had. I don't mind when they use them, but i do care when I hear them going off in gradual hill next to my house that's not steep at all.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements