AWD Sucks?
NEWS
 

  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

    Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: AWD Sucks?

  1. #1
    crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Posts
    118

    AWD Sucks?

    Hey all, I am surprised at the AWD in my 2006 CR-V. Yesterday we got about an inch of snow, it was good and wet, and very slick. Being 16 I had to go to an empty parking lot and see what my new car would do. Just driving to the parking lot I was sliding all over the place. It seemed like the rear wheels weren't doing anything. Once I got to the parking lot, turned off the traction control, and gunned it I was sliding around like nothing, it was sliding around like a regular front wheeled drive car. I don't know if there is something wrong or if that is just the way the CR-V is. If the V is just like that then it almost isn't worth having the AWD anyway. I would prefer something that had real 4WD that could be turned on and off and that had a high/low range transfer case. LOL. We also own 2 Toyota Land Cruisers, they are full time 4x4, none of this AWD BS. I do know how 4x4, FWD, and RWD vehicles handle in the snow as I have driven each kind in all different kinds of conditions. (I have driven 26 cars in the last 2 years that I have been driving.) The only other AWD vehicle I have driven is my moms 2008 Audi A4 Avant, and it seems todo way better in the snow then my CR-V did yesterday. Maybe it is my tires? It still has the original Bridgestone Dulers but the thing only has 24,700 miles on it. I can't imagine that the tires are that bad already. I inspected them and it looks like they have about 30% tread left.

    Any ideas why I am so disappointed in the performance of the AWD in my CR-V. I really love my CR-V other then the sucky AWD.
    98% of Americans say, "Oh Sh*t" on an icy road... The other 2% are from Iowa and they say, "Hold my beer and watch this sh*t!"

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Whitby,Ontario
    Posts
    622
    Get rid of the OEM tires and traction improves 50%.
    A foolish man speaks when he has nothing to say and a wise man listens when he has nothing to hear.

  4. #3
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,208
    Get new tires. 30% tread left is almost nothing. Even just getting a new set of all seasons will make a huge difference.

    The CRV is not all wheel drive. It is a part time on-demand four wheel drive system.

    Once I got to the parking lot, turned off the traction control, and gunned it I was sliding around like nothing, it was sliding around like a regular front wheeled drive car.
    Get new tires and drive like a responsible person and the CRV will give you all the traction you need for 95% of the situations you will ever encounter.

  5. #4
    crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    121
    It doesn't snow feet upon feet in Cincinnati where i'm at but I took my old 1st gen auto out every year I had it and tried to get it stuck in snow and ice, I even took it off road into snow and ice covered tall grass fields and construction sites, whatever I could find! I was always impressed with it's ability to get out of sticky spots sometimes without the rear wheels even engaging. I took my new 5 speed 99 out in my parents back field the other day and it is unmowed most of the year, has huge ruts in it and was covered in snow.. I think the rear end engaged twice and the thing pulled through all of it like a beast!

    In short, since it's not the same AWD that is in an Impreza or some all time 4x4 giant gas guzzleing SUVs like a Land Cruiser, it's not gonna be the coolest car to take out to a parking lot and do some AWD power slides but it will prove to be really capable in a real life situation when you have good tires. It's not a rally car.. sheesh!

  6. #5
    crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Posts
    621
    As mentioend above, yes, the tires, those Bridgestones in particular from all reprots will not perform well in snow with more than 15-20k on them. OEM tires just don;t last long, and thsoe in particular lose performance wuickly.

    2nd, due to how the AWD system works in the CR-V, it will tend to behave msot of the time like a FWD car.... severe understeer when the front wheels are spinning. When the power is transferred to the rear wheels it can cause a more neutral slide and then when you lift it tends to oversteer a little.

    The AWD system is primarily designed in this vehicle to provide added traction when starting from a stop or acclerating in a straight line or up a hill. Because of the "lag" in engagement, it's not ideal for cornering. However, acclerating from a stop to keep form being stuck and get up to speed quicker to merge or pull out into traffic is the primary reason for AWD. I think it does this very, very well. I can confidently stomp on the gas on any road durface, and it just goes. I've never had a car that can do this.

    IMO, it works best with VSA enabled to optimize traction. I'm fairly well convinced that the VSA allows just enough front wheelspin to send some power to the rear. Athough, the best test would be to line up a FWD and AWD next to each other on a slippery surface and see which accelerate quicker. You have to add about 100lbs in the middle of the rear of the FWD model to neutralize the affect of the weight.


    Acutally, this would be a good test for seomone like Cunsumers Reports, MT or C&D to perform. Take FWD and AWD version of different CUV's and test them in terms of accleration, braking and handing with and without VSA enabled and with and without equalizing weight.
    2009 Honda CR-V EX 4WD (Royal Blue)
    2008 Nissan Altima 2.5SL CVT (Silver)
    2007 BMW R1200RT (Blue)

  7. #6
    crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    121
    My 1st gen doesn't have VSA but I would think (especially if you were stuck) turning VSA off would be better cause more power would go to the rear. I thought that since the tires up front have to spin for the rear diff to engage VSA would keep them from spinning enough to transfer enough power to the rear to help out.

    I searched "CRV offroad" on youtube the other day and found a later gen CRV video of a guy stuck in some sissy snow. The comments were all saying turn off your VSA but it could just be that he's an idiot. Either way under normal circumstances I 100% stand by the V. You get amazing 4 cylinder FWD gas mileage from an SUV then you get that extra boost from the rear when you need it instead of constantly having AWD on dry pavement half the year eating up gas!

  8. #7
    crv|oc Rank: Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    des moines iowa
    Posts
    88
    I have neo gen street tires on my v and last week we had a 16" of snow. I drove around perfect and didn't even even stuck. I was really amaze. Try changing your oem tires.
    Last edited by jimmohoney; 12-22-2009 at 11:36 AM.
    owned over 243 cars all import
    98 Honda crv 5spd lowered with mods for sale

  9. #8
    crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Posts
    118
    I will try to change the tires out but it may have to wait a while. I don't have a lot of money right now. I am not going to be off roading in this thing, but I live out in the country with unplowed roads. It was doing alright the last time, I just thought it didn't seem to be handling like a 4 wheeled drive vehicle should.... When I do get new tires I will reply to this thread and let everyone know how it does.
    98% of Americans say, "Oh Sh*t" on an icy road... The other 2% are from Iowa and they say, "Hold my beer and watch this sh*t!"

  10. #9
    crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boone
    Posts
    681
    Tires will make a huge difference, but also slow down and know that even having awd doesn't mean that you can drive like normal. I see every year multiple vehicles with selectable 4wd that have slid off roads or spun out because the driver thinks that having 4wd means you can still drive with their normal lack of concentration.
    2000 Cr-v 5spd. xplode/mtx audio. custom flip mod

  11. #10
    crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwood70 View Post
    Tires will make a huge difference, but also slow down and know that even having awd doesn't mean that you can drive like normal. I see every year multiple vehicles with selectable 4wd that have slid off roads or spun out because the driver thinks that having 4wd means you can still drive with their normal lack of concentration.
    Defensive driving is something that I take to heart. I have had friends drive stupidly and end up dead because of it. Unless I am in a somewhat controlled parking lot with NO ONE else, no cars, poles, parking curbs, will I try these "stupid" things like drifting, etc.

    Even when I am goofing off I am still cautious and responsible.
    98% of Americans say, "Oh Sh*t" on an icy road... The other 2% are from Iowa and they say, "Hold my beer and watch this sh*t!"

  12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements
     

Similar Threads

  1. Just got a certified '09 EX-L AWD.
    By dcmovin in forum Shoppin' and Test Drivin'
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-24-2011, 10:58 PM
  2. CR-V vs Subaru AWD
    By ALafya in forum Shoppin' and Test Drivin'
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-02-2010, 10:33 AM
  3. HELP! AWD only needs 2 tires?
    By DimHondaCRV05 in forum Tires, Wheels and Suspensions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-17-2010, 05:03 PM
  4. AWD not working
    By beaufam in forum Maintenance and Service
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-14-2008, 08:44 AM
  5. awd problem
    By grandadsparky in forum Problems & Issues
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-06-2007, 12:24 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2