TPMS Sensors for 2011
NEWS
 

  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

    Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: TPMS Sensors for 2011

  1. #1
    crv|oc Rank: Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2

    TPMS Sensors for 2011

    Hi folks...brand new to the forum. I just purchased a 2011 CRV..should have done my homework. I need to get winter rims and sensors (the wife likes the sensors) but I can't seem to find after market sensors for less than $65 a pop Canadian. I live in Canada...just seems like an outrageous amount to pay for the sensors...Anybody know of an on-line spot where I can get sensors that are compatible with steel wheels and don't cost me more than the rims.

    Thanks

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    crv|oc Rank: Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    35
    I went through this mind warp about a month ago, and decided to live with the TPMS light on for the winter. Hockey tape over the light if you want.

    What do you mean your wife "likes the sensors"?

  4. #3
    crv|oc Rank: Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Newfoundland Canada
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by uc17276 View Post
    Hi folks...brand new to the forum. I just purchased a 2011 CRV..should have done my homework. I need to get winter rims and sensors (the wife likes the sensors) but I can't seem to find after market sensors for less than $65 a pop Canadian. I live in Canada...just seems like an outrageous amount to pay for the sensors...Anybody know of an on-line spot where I can get sensors that are compatible with steel wheels and don't cost me more than the rims.

    Thanks
    If you want a good deal on steel wheels and sensors try canadian tire on line
    Wheels $59 each and sensors $32 each Free shipping to your local canadian store
    I did not bother with sensors- they are only for people too lazy to check tire pressures on a regular basis -Also only work if tire pressure is down by at least 25%
    Honda also made a big boo boo with these sensors the software only works for 4 tires so if you change to winter wheels with sensors you have to change them at a honda dealer since only they have the computer sw to do the change over -quite expensive doing this 2x each year
    If you don't have sensors on the winter wheels only 2 minor problems
    1- the tpms light will come on tape this over or pull the tpms fuse
    2- the vehicle stability system will be on all the time- you only need the system off if you are stuck in a deep snow drift and need to go back and forth
    I plan avoiding this type of situation

    The car companies were forced into installing tpms sensors in 2007 after the USA passed a"Thread law" -this was due to the Firestone tire fiasco with threads coming off these tires causing several deaths- modern tires do not have this problem

  5. #4
    crv|oc Rank: Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2
    Thanks very much...sounds like the best option is no sensors on the winter tires...since the vehicle is new my wife is a little fussy about doing something that messes up another system...I'll do my best to explain...I couldn't find any compatible sensors on the CTC website..

    Thanks again

  6. #5
    crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    172
    Kal-Tire charged me $45.00 each last year when I put on a set of winter wheels that I bought from CTC and they now charge zero to program the computer to sensors spring and fall as long as I do my tire business with them. Takes less than 5 minutes for them to set the sensors to the computer. I watched them do it. They just did mine a few weeks ago and it didn't cost a nickel even though I took the summer wheels off and put the winter ones on in my own driveway , then took it there to have them set. Nice to have all functions of the vehicle working as it should including the vehicle stability system .
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

  7. #6
    crv|oc Rank: Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Newfoundland Canada
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoung View Post
    Kal-Tire charged me $45.00 each last year when I put on a set of winter wheels that I bought from CTC and they now charge zero to program the computer to sensors spring and fall as long as I do my tire business with them. Takes less than 5 minutes for them to set the sensors to the computer. I watched them do it. They just did mine a few weeks ago and it didn't cost a nickel even though I took the summer wheels off and put the winter ones on in my own driveway , then took it there to have them set. Nice to have all functions of the vehicle working as it should including the vehicle stability system .
    Did you buy the winter wheels and sensors separately.interested to know how much the sensors cost

  8. #7
    crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by pepper rex View Post
    Did you buy the winter wheels and sensors separately.interested to know how much the sensors cost
    Sorry, I didn't explain it right

    I bought the winter wheels from Canadian Tire for best price . They were around 50 bucks each .

    I bought the sensors fom Kal-Tire for $45.00 each.

    Kal-Tire installed the sensors in the rims and put on the winter tires which I already had from a pevious vehicle.
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

  9. #8
    crv|oc Rank: Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Newfoundland Canada
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoung View Post
    Sorry, I didn't explain it right

    I bought the winter wheels from Canadian Tire for best price . They were around 50 bucks each .

    I bought the sensors fom Kal-Tire for $45.00 each.

    Kal-Tire installed the sensors in the rims and put on the winter tires which I already had from a pevious vehicle.
    Thanks for the info Wyoung
    Looks like you got a great deal from Kal-Tire. Unfortunately they don't have any stores in newfoundland

  10. #9
    crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    172
    Thanks for the info Wyoung
    Looks like you got a great deal from Kal-Tire. Unfortunately they don't have any stores in newfoundland
    That's a bummer.
    I had thought that chain of tire stores was all across Canada.
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

  11. #10
    crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    425

    Put all sensors in the spare tire wheel?

    Quote Originally Posted by uc17276 View Post
    Hi folks...brand new to the forum. I just purchased a 2011 CRV..should have done my homework. I need to get winter rims and sensors (the wife likes the sensors) but I can't seem to find after market sensors for less than $65 a pop Canadian. I live in Canada...just seems like an outrageous amount to pay for the sensors...Anybody know of an on-line spot where I can get sensors that are compatible with steel wheels and don't cost me more than the rims.

    Thanks
    In another thread some time ago someone said he drilled 3 more holes in his spare wheel and mounted 4 sensors there to keep the light off and allow operation of the VSS.

  12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements
     

Similar Threads

  1. TPMS sensors when replacing wheels
    By Aprenttice in forum Tires, Wheels and Suspensions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-28-2011, 08:24 AM
  2. Schrader blank EZ-sensors can emulate existing TPMS sensors
    By Gravy in forum Tires, Wheels and Suspensions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-09-2010, 11:56 AM
  3. FS: 2007-2010+ 4x TPMS Sensors
    By dttuner in forum Trading Post
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 09:16 AM
  4. '07 CR-V TPMS Sensors Transferable?
    By JPTL-S in forum Tires, Wheels and Suspensions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-28-2008, 04:03 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2