New 2013 CR-V EX-L, how are the tires?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New 2013 CR-V EX-L, how are the tires?

crv|oc Rank: Member

New 2013 CR-V EX-L, how are the tires?

The tires (from the sidewall) are Bridgstone Dueller Sport A5, 400 AB, 225/65R17, 102T M&S.
    They are grouped in ratings/reviews as a crossover tire and I have not found good comparisons to broader categories. Looked at the Tire Rack.

How do these compare for performance with other tires. My primary concern is safety. Of course, that covers just about everything. We live in the Pacific NW (upper left) so rain is a real common hazard. We also get ice and snow sometimes. Between here and town (e.g., food and work) are some fairly nasty roads. Our driveway being pretty steep with really annoying curves. The road has strong grade, leans toward the abyss, and is not particularly high on the list of things to be plowed and graveled/salted. Not a lot of equipment/money for snow/ice around here. Nasty hills into town.

I prefer not to replace the set, but if I need to I will.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Sounds like you should have bought a real awd suv.

Any useful answers? So far I have not found any winter test results for the tires. Apparently they are a relatively new model. They are listed as "Summer" tires, but they are marked M&S. They are categorized as a limited category (something like small crossovers, light trucks) and I can't find any comparisons to more mainstream tire models. Within the class they seem pretty good, but this is based on a comparison of a limited range of tires.

Anyone have any information on the need to replace them for good winter performance and what category tire that would be in? Tire Rack and CR don't really get into it against a wide range of tires.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by alternety View Post
    Any useful answers? So far I have not found any winter test results for the tires. Apparently they are a relatively new model. They are listed as "Summer" tires, but they are marked M&S. They are categorized as a limited category (something like small crossovers, light trucks) and I can't find any comparisons to more mainstream tire models. Within the class they seem pretty good, but this is based on a comparison of a limited range of tires.

Anyone have any information on the need to replace them for good winter performance and what category tire that would be in? Tire Rack and CR don't really get into it against a wide range of tires.
    I am a bit lost, what do you mean wide range of test? Tirerack has survey's that people have taken and provide an opinion about their tire. You can see the survey here:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp On the left hand side their is a filter by, select your tire size and it will only show tires in that particular size if the tire is not listed in that size, that means the manufacture does not make a tire in that particular size.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....utoModClar=AWD This is what was listed as OEM tires, don't know if you changed them out.

If you go to view survey and filter by Honda CRV 2012 or 2013, people do complain about snow traction, wet it seems to be ok, The Continental cross contact LX seem to do better in the winter but complains that they wear out pretty quick.
    http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...%3D265TR7HPSAS

The three categories you want to look for are SUV/Crossover Touring all season tires, Highway All season tires, and finally Winter tires, for winter only 2 tires are listed for that size, Bridgestone Blizzak and Michelin Latitude X-Ice 2
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...wws=N&showcm=N

Crossover touring in your tire size:

Highway in your tire size

No all season tire will beat a dedicated winter and snow tire, but if you drive carefully it should be ok. As for hills it can be a problem. I am surprise winter force tires are not listed for your size. They are dedicated snow/winter tires that do pretty decent with a heavy trade off with road noise and ride comfort. They are pretty cheap and good wear especially if no bad weather ever comes.

Is yours a FWD or AWD model?

I live in New England with mostly FWD and all seasons tire. They did ok unless you got into hills. deep snow cover roads were not really a problem driving on. The only thing I advise against is slamming on your brakes in snow or ice, letting go of throttle to slow down is much more effective stopping with all season tires.
    Last edited by Grafarian; 10-12-2013 at 11:48 PM.

I read all that. I m looking for actual tests. There was one 3 way comparison on Tire Rack. All in the same category. I am trying to find additional direct comparisons. TR is going to do winter tests on the three they tested when it gets to be winter there.

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Just so you aware, a M&S is just an all season tire, not a winter tire. You need a tire that has the mountain/snow flake label on the sidewall to show it's a real winter tire.

There is no comparison between an All Season and a dedicated Winter Tire, period the end.

If I were you I would get a set of dedicated winters put on some steelies, and there will be nothing that will stop you, short of a 50 inch snow fall!
    Current owner of The Black Pearl 2009 EX-L Nav AWD CRV & a 2003 Acura EL
    Previous owner of an Inaugural 1997 Leased LX CRV and (2) 2000 EX CRV's
    2007 RTL Nav Ridgeline, 1996 Acura TL & 1994 DOHC VTEC del Sol

Thanks. I understand pure winter tires and do not wish to use them. The conditions here are generally short lived and maintaining two sets of tires is more than I wish to do. When I lived in real snow areas I have used snow tires. Here, in my opinion, retaining dry and wet traction outweighs snow traction. Both our other cars have fairly high end tires on them. Still a top rating from Consumers Report (who also test). I try to get the best all seasons I can. The "Summer" categorization is what bothers me the most.

I need to research the difference between the tires sold as crossover SUV and "regular" all season. My assumption was primarily higher load ratings, but I have not researched it.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Check into Nokian WRG2 tires. They are classified as 'All Weather' tires. And they do have the snowflake on the sidewall, as mentioned by Rickman.
    Not as good as 'real' winter tires, but rated quite high for winter traction. Much better then regular 'All Seasons'. There are threads about them on this forum. We have them in our family. They are a great compromise.

10. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements