biggest tire/wheel fit for 2005 CR-V?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: biggest tire/wheel fit for 2005 CR-V?

crv|oc Rank: Member

biggest tire/wheel fit for 2005 CR-V?

Does anyone know what would be the biggest, gnarliest off-road tire and wheel package I could fit on a 2005 CR-V without resorting to suspension mods or taking a can opener to the wheelwells?

These would only be slapped on for camping trips up into the Sierras, so they can be completely impractical for daily use. Circumference/speedometer issues are not a real concern either.

The tire rack has great fitment help for going up in wheel diameter and lower in tire profile, but not much to help anyone looking to put high profile offroad tires and possibly smaller wheels. Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

I know there are a couple of how big threads around here, I hate top dbl post, but I might.

A couple of months ago mom called and asked about new tires on her 05 CRV (the one that I bought off of her just a couple of weeks ago). she needed something that was an LT or offroadish tire (for driving through corn/bean fields during harvest and minor waterway driving) I did some research here and from basic knowledge on sizing and took some measurements of her stock sized ones and clearance and came up with a good basic tire that I thought might work.

after seeing it on the thing I was worried it would rub during turns, but it doesn't. I'm still worried that if I tried anything fancy off road in it that I'd get some rubbing during suspension flex, but for basic snow driving and through the fields it rocks. the tread is awesome, can't say about the wear, but seems good so far. took a small mpg hit according to mom (but it was right when winter hit, so i dunno) and speedo is off about 3-4%. Road noise surprises me because the tread looks so aggressive, but it's not any different than before!

the Tire is a Fuzion XTi 225/70-16

so far, i highly recommend it.

Which number in tire specs is for width? I'm looking at tires for my 99 and am real close to buying some Goodyear Wrangler Territory's that are 235/75, will they fit on my 1st Gen with no lift and original rims?

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Well I could see a 225/70/16 but a 235/75/15 which is what I'd guess you're looking at sounds a little too big. They'll rub on tight turns and if there's any sort of flex (turning into a driveway or something) it sounds like they'd hit the wheel wells. I'd stick with a 235/70 if you can find that

So I can go with a 235, I just need to have something smaller than a 75, is that correct? I maay be lifting the V a little too, just looking at what kind of options I have to do that.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by Thivi View Post
    Which number in tire specs is for width?
    Tires are rated as so: 225/70R16
    225: The width (in mm) of the tire from left to right side (if you're standing it up in front of you like you were getting ready to roll it).
    70: Is a percentage. It represents height of the side wall. In a percentage of teh width
    *So, if the width is 225 mm and the height is 70% of that , the height is actually 157.5mm
    16: Naturally, this is the size wheel/rim that will fit in the tire hole
    Regards,

Harvey - 2006 CRV EX 5spd M/T: SOLD 8/18/11

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thivi View Post
    I maay be lifting the V a little too, just looking at what kind of options I have to do that.
    FWIW folks that have fitted oversize tires on generation 1 Vs found that the rub was to the rear of the tire (eg, height had little effect)
    Last edited by Carbuff2; 02-23-2010 at 10:36 AM.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

Thanks to the both of you, kudos. I don't think the lift is going to happen so I'm not going to worry about that right now. If the 235 is the width, does putting those spacers on the tire and giving it a wider stance make any different as to accommodating a bigger tire? Either way I'm going to be adding the spacers for a little different stance. I'm going to get the biggest that fits, so if the spacers allow more room, maybe I'll go a little bigger! Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Thivi; 02-23-2010 at 12:51 PM.

Does that make sense? Wheel spacers = bigger/wider tire? Or would installing spacers, not make any difference and just change the stance(what I'm going for anyway)?

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Putting the wheel "farther out" in the wheel well strains the wheel bearings. Look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offset_%28wheel%29

To maintain handling characteristics and avoid undue loads on bushings and ball joints, the car manufacturer's original offset should be maintained when choosing new wheels unless there are overriding clearance issues.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements