Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What is the right tire air pressure in a 08 EX-L?

9K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  motoguy128 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Everybody,
Just cameback from Costco where they rotated my tires and checked the tire air pressure and put them at the recommended 30 pounds by the manufacturer and manual; so they let some air escape.

When pick it up I noticed the tires look like they need air and asked the technician about it and was told they put whatever the air pressure is in the driver door and nothing else and if I wanted to put more had to add it on my own.

I started driving and notice that the car feels totally different, heavier, slower, little bouncing and steering wheel slightly goes to the sides which think is the need of more air.

I called 3 local Honda dealers and was told they put 32 pounds and to ignore the 30 required on manual and door.

I will have to go and put another 2 pounds on each tire when stops snowing.

Last time also on my 92 Accord they put 26 pounds as the door said and looked like they were all flat, so had to go to a gas station to put them at 32 pounds.

Have you experienced the same issues and what air pressure you put in your tires?

See less See more
#2 ·
My daughter took her 96 Accord to a small service repair center for a "free winter check" and when the car got home I found they had inflated the tires to 40 psi????!!! I had the tires at 32, they said that they "looked" low...duh! What some people do...

I can see the POV of costco not wanting to inflate more than Honda recommends on the door, just for liability reasons. I wouldn't sweat it and just inflate them to what you want. I agree that at the panel rates the CRV did feel sluggish to me. I run 33 front 32 rear (I have a digital guage so it's as accurate as it can be).

As for this other dufus, well I don't know what to say of that!

#4 ·
Thanks guys, sounds like 32 is what most tires have; now I will have to spend time, gas and $1 to buy air at the gas station before get the TPM light which I was afraid was coming out soon, specially with the cold weather.

I will buy a digital gauge as well because the cheap one I have need to check it like 3-5 times and always reads different, probably that's why only costs $2-3 and the one at the gas station is even worse.

#10 ·
Tire manufacturers do not know what vehicle they will be installed on. They give the max pressure so you (hopefully) won't blow them out like a baloon. Car makers know better what pressure should be used for best traction, handling, and economy. Remember, they want the highest fuel mileage ratings they can muster without jeopardising other requirements.

#11 ·
I run 34 in my 2009 EX AWD. I've never been one for taking the car manufacturer's advice on tire pressure. They always take the light side, looking for a smooth ride. In most cases, it leads to poor handling and increased tire wear. Any car/motorcycle I've ever had, I take the pressure on the door label or in the owner's manual and add 4.

al

#12 ·
"Check the side of the tire for max cold pressure and run that." Umm, that's 44 psi on my Duelers. That is absolutly ridiculous! It's like saying the engine is redlined at 6,500 rpm so I'll keep it at that. 44psi, like 6,500 rpm, is the maximum, beyond which severe damage will occur. There are no circumstances where a CRV is going to benefit from that kind of overinflation. Honda's spec of 30 psi is a balance of comfort, performance and fuel economy. Up the pressure to say 34 psi and you will see a slight improvement in gas mileage, a bit crisper cornering, but the ride will suffer. Any more than that and tire wear increases significantly and suspension parts start to suffer.

I am always amazed at the number of folks who know more than the engineers at Honda. Funny how those bozos managed to design such a great vehicle.

#13 · (Edited)
Keep in mind, running a tire pressure stagger as some have on here, combined with normal tire wear, could result in the 4WD engaging under normal driving. So you'll increase wear on the 4WD system and get lower mileage.

remember the 4WD system is passive and a differential of front and rear wheel speeds will negage it.

Also, sometimes as tires heat up, a 2psi stagger when cold will become a 3 or 4 psi stagger when hot depending on how the car is loaded. Most TPMS systems will alarm you if there is a diffrence of more than 4 psi between any 2 tires.

Jsut some thign ot keep in mid.

I do agree that 20psi seems a little low. Our Altima, which weighs 300lbs less than a CRV with the same width tires calls for 32psi. I'd probably be inclined to run 32 psi myself.

Max cold tire pressure on the tire is just that. Its' the maximum pressure recommended when the tire is at maximum load and at the maximum rated speed. The tire itself can handle much...much higher pressures before failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.