THE Best Tires for the CRV - No BS - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: THE Best Tires for the CRV - No BS

crv|oc Rank: Member
    We have Yokohama Avid's on our CR-V - they've been great in wear, ride, and price.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

I live in Burlington VT,...Extreme winters. Just purchased a CRV from a Jeep GC. My question is, What is the best year round tire for my new CRV I don't like the thought of having two sets of tires. Is there anyone who goes through tough winters with just one set of all season tires and if so what should I look for?

Um... I'm sorry but your question "what is THE best tire" has no answer... There is NO best tire for all purposes and driving styles. I run all terrains on mine because it's THE best tire for MY situation and driving habits, I get 50k+ miles out of them so I consider them the best for my application. On the flip side a mall rat that never ever leaves the pavement but lives in the north west and see's lots and lots of rain would need a totally different tire for their application and driving habits. Same goes for someone who spends all day at 80mph on a blistering hot freeway....

Is there good tires and bad tires, yes.. of course but there isn't ONE good tire for all applications same as there isn't just one crappy tire.

I don't mean to be rude but it's true... Your asking a question that will give you as many answers as there are drivers on the road.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    I recently purchased Pirelli P4s because Goodyear discontinued the triple tread in 2nd gen sizing (205/70/15). Maybe I could have gone "plus zero" to keep the triple treads, but I don't understand the calculations, and I didn't want to leave it up to the guy at the tire $hop to figure it out for me. Not to mention I'm salty about Goodyear discontinuing my tire.

The P4s so far seem like a really good all around tire, especially for the price. They do pull a bit, as do most tires when you hit a puddle going 50mph, I'm yet to try P4s in the snow. I can vouch for the Goodyear triple tread as a great tire, especially in the rain. I've had them on 3 vehicles, they cut through puddles and do not pull at almost any reasonable speed. They're okay in the snow.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by childrekCRV View Post
    Um... I'm sorry but your question "what is THE best tire" has no answer.
    I could not agree more. I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I'm honestly tired of the, "What's the best ______?" threads (not just here but on any forum you post on). There are as many opinions as there are people that reply. There is no "best". If you like a product there will be ten times as many people that hate it. Do what works for your particular needs or application. That will be the best.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclerama View Post
    I live in Burlington VT,...Extreme winters. Just purchased a CRV from a Jeep GC. My question is, What is the best year round tire for my new CRV I don't like the thought of having two sets of tires. Is there anyone who goes through tough winters with just one set of all season tires and if so what should I look for?
    Since you live in Vermont, you might want to check out the Firestone Destination AT as a year round tire - gets great reviews. You would have to go with the 235-65/17 though:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....tination+A%2FT

Quote Originally Posted by crvee View Post
    Since you live in Vermont, you might want to check out the Firestone Destination AT as a year round tire - gets great reviews. You would have to go with the 235-65/17 though:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....tination+A%2FT
    I can attest that they do quite well in the snow and ice as well as hot summer pavement. I ran around in 8 inches of snow and ice in the winter with no problems and now it's been nearly 110 degrees for two weeks. They're very versatile, they work well for my lifestyle. However, unless something has changed they're equally hard to find.

Just my two cents.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Wow -- 31K hits on a replacement tire thread. Folks, that's a ton.

What's even more remarkable is that there's no consensus WRT the "best" tire (which makes sense, of course; no one tire will suit all circumstances), but more significantly there are no standout runners-up, either. All the name brands have their advocates.

My CR-V does no off-roading (unless you count the gravel parking lot at the local bicycle trail) so I prefer highway tires. Since I spend a lot of time on interstates in the summer that means performance all-season tires with a A rating for traction and A for temperature. This would be far from the best tire for anyone who goes off-roading!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclerama View Post
    I live in Colorado and as essential personnel have had to drive in even the worst snow storms. I put a set of Goodyear Fortera Triple Treds on and after my first set I've just put on my second. These are hands down exceptional tires in all conditions. They are smooth, quiet, great handling in dry, downpour, deep snow and ice. (30mpg city/33 hwy) I'll admit I'm tough on my tires (Mostly highway and city and occasional dirt roads on trips) so they only lasted me about 40K miles, but well worth it as an all season/any road surface with strong snow/ice traction capability.
    Last edited by alyric99; 09-15-2011 at 10:47 PM.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements