THE Best Tires for the CRV - No BS - Page 3
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: THE Best Tires for the CRV - No BS

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alyric99 View Post
    I live in Colorado and as essential personnel have had to drive in even the worst snow storms. I put a set of Goodyear Fortera Triple Treds on and after my first set I've just put on my second. These are hands down exceptional tires in all conditions. They are smooth, quiet, great handling in dry, downpour, deep snow and ice. (30mpg city/33 hwy) I'll admit I'm tough on my tires (Mostly highway and city and occasional dirt roads on trips) so they only lasted me about 40K miles, but well worth it as an all season/any road surface with strong snow/ice traction capability.
    I just looked up the profile of the tires. I am very impressed with the reviews. However, I have to say it's really expensive $207 /each at the discount tire but I will add this one on my list : )

Goodyear offers $80 when buying 4 for this model. I think with everything it should be around $740 out of the shop.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

what is the standard size tires for crv 99 model?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by deanster View Post
    what is the standard size tires for crv 99 model?
    p205/70r15

I agree that there is no best tire for everyone, but advice helps. How many times can you actually compare one tire to another. They are not shoes. You can't just try them on and find out that these shoes are not the ones for you, unless spending $500-$1000 on tires is no big deal for you.

I had a GrandAM and they are actually good in the winter. I moved up to NY for a new job a few years ago. During that commute I have to go up a mountain. After the first mile, I've climbed 400ft. The second mile is another 200ft. It is straight highway. There is no other option except for going about 20miles around and in snow, it adds an easy hour.

When I experienced having to go between 10-20 mph down this hill to keep control, it was time for new tires. I went with Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds and they were awesome! I was descending down that grade at roughly 40mph with ease. They were so great that we got a set for my wife's Subaru and it was even better thanks to the AWD. Could plow through 6-8 inches of fresh powder without a wobble.

When I got my first 2007 CR-V, the tires on it were not going to last the winter. They don't make the Assurance TripleTred in 225/65R17 but they make a Fortera TripleTred. I convinced the dealer to go 50/50 on them. (Actually, they did after they saw that the set of tires was $900). Again, awesome. I easily took that hill at 40-50mph in bad snow, passing several other SUVs, trucks, Subarus and a poor little PT Cruiser that had to keep his tires turning right to go mostly straight.

Well, that CR-V just got totaled after being rear-ended and hard. I was forced off the road (gradually) and plowed through about 150ft of soft ground from a lot of recent rain. I was able to keep it straight thanks to my ABS and those tires.

Because my kids and I survived without a scratch, I got a new CR-V. Unfortunately, from a certain point of view, the tires on it have decent tread. They are Riken Trail A/P. I've never heard of them. Neither has the dealer. They were put on by the last owner. I can't find anything out about these tires. Google is not helping. Bing finds some retail sites, but they seem to not have any. The tread does seem to be good though.

Once these Rikens wear down, I'm going to get the Fortera TripleTreds. They are expensive, loud-ish, great in snow and apparently help keep you straight while sliding through mud at high speed! They are mostly light off-road all-seasons, but I don't think road style all-seasons would have done me good. I believe in safety over comfort and quite tires (I like my music loud anyway). I don't skimp out on tires. A extra $500 can be a very small price to pay! I found Sears to have the best price @ $190 a tires but you can always get them installed somewhere else. My local Sears shop does have good people.

This is all my opinion and my experience and why I shared so much. I know what tires I will always buy based on that. However, maybe someone has the same experience with Michelins or Bridgestones or a brand that you might not have heard of like Pirelli (at least for me).

Just like shoes, you can find an experienced non-brand tire shop and websites like this that can help you find the BEST TIRES for you.

Thinking about the Triple Treads for the CRV but not sure. I live in Baltimore where snow isn't too much of a factor since we do not have much of it but I need a good tire for rain and dry weather handling for sure. Any suggestions for a good all around tire (Similar to the Continental ExtremeContract DWS, those tires are epic)

Tirerack has a closeout on them

Size: 215/65R17
    Sidewall Style: Blackwall
    Serv. Desc: 98H
    UTQG: 740 A B
    Price: $131.00 (each)

GoodyearAssurance TripleTred(Passenger All-Season)
    Last edited by kanundrum; 10-17-2011 at 10:17 AM.

I beg to differ....My 2009 CR-V EX came with 225/65R17 102Ts and that is the size listed on the door label

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Most all of the Accords I have owned and the 2 Ridgelines all came with excellent OEM tires; Michelins!!! Never ceases to amaze me that Honda puts POS tires on the CR-V. I installed Michelins on my 2010 and 2012 and believe me, it makes a lot of difference in the ride, drive, and wear!!
    25 Year Honda Owner
    My Other Ride Is A Ridgeline

I just had mine in for an oil change and it looks like by next oil change I'll really need to consider getting new tires, which will put the vehicle around the 25k mile mark...so I suppose that's not too bad for stock. I had a Civic before this and I was replacing tires every 15k miles.

So I've seen a lot of opinions on here and agree with no "best tire" for everyone but more for your needs...that being said, I don't know anything about tires.

I live in Cleveland, and while we've barely had snow here, we usually do get pounded pretty well. "Home" is also three hours away which gets pounded, I also go to Buffalo a lot, which gets pounded, and I have to drive through Erie and along the lake the whole way to get there....which gets pounded.

Those trips aren't that often though...maybe 2-3 times during winter. 80% of my driving is city/rural/side road type driving. I'm not on the highway a lot. I don't really want two sets of tires either.

Does anyone have a strong recommendation for year round tires that are good in the snow when needed, still a nice drive on clear roads, and has a good life to them? The most "off roading" I do is driving into a gravel parking lot to go hiking with the dogs, so I'm not too worried about that.

Any thoughts? I really appreciate the help.

I put Hancook Optima H727s on my 2003 CRV and was very happy with them. They are top rated both by Tire Rack and Consumer Reports. And reasonably priced...
    JonW
    2012 CRV EX AWD, previously 2003 CRV EX AWD

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    My '08 Ridgeline has 25K on the OEM Michelins and you cannot tell they have even been on the road, no visible wear!! Why can't Honda put this quality tire on all of their vehicles!!! Some of my friends on the Ridgeline forum are getting 80K before replacement!!
    25 Year Honda Owner
    My Other Ride Is A Ridgeline

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements