Studded Snow Tires?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Studded Snow Tires?

crv|oc Rank: Member

Studded Snow Tires?

I just moved to Vermont and all of the locals have advised me to get studded winter tires for my 2009 CR-V to manage through the heavy snow and ICE on the Interstate. Anyone have advice on studded vs. not studded, and any brand recommendations?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

There are quite a few winter tires on the market. You are smart if considering a true winter tire. If you would like to browse some of them take a look at our site.

www.discounttiredirect.com.

If you would like a recommendation or need some help building a wheel and tire package please call us. We would be happy to quickly go over some options with you and we can save a quote in our system for you if you aren't quite ready to make a purchase.

-Travis
    Low Prices! More Choices! FREE Shipping!
    At The Store: www.discounttire.com
    To Your Door: www.discounttiredirect.com

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Found a Lower Delivered Price?

Useful Links:
    Tire Size Calculator
    Current Promotions
    Interactive Wheel System
    Wheels & Tires 101

When I had to have studded snow tires, use 4 studded snow tires on your car. I bought Dunlops with dealer installed studs, this was 20 years ago when I lived in Oklahoma. The 4 tire studded set up kept the rear end from breaking loose, on a Honda Accord.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by badger420 View Post
    I just moved to Vermont and all of the locals have advised me to get studded winter tires for my 2009 CR-V to manage through the heavy snow and ICE on the Interstate. Anyone have advice on studded vs. not studded, and any brand recommendations?
    First off, welcome to Vermont.

I can personally vouch for Nokian Hakkapeliittas. Strange name but a superb tire on snow and ice. I don't use studs myself. I live in the northern part of the state (Camel's Hump) and the challenge here is usually deep snow and grades.

I think with any good winter tire and RT4WD, the CR-V is going to surprise you with it's winter capabilities.

Nokian Hakkapeliittas

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm still considering the studs because I will be driving down I-89 between Essex and Waterbury every day and I'm told it gets icy. Otherwise, I'd probably skip the studs. Do you know who sells the Nokian Hakkapeliittas?

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by badger420 View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'm still considering the studs because I will be driving down I-89 between Essex and Waterbury every day and I'm told it gets icy. Otherwise, I'd probably skip the studs. Do you know who sells the Nokian Hakkapeliittas?
    Hey...finally...another Vermonter who lives close. I take it you are living in Essex. I live on Texas Hill, between Hinesburg and Huntington. It's near Camel's Hump. I'm in Essex quite often (because there's nothing here).

I know that stretch of I-89 well. It's a "snow bowel" and you are probably right to want studs.

The Nokians will be available virtually anywhere. If the tire store or garage you go to doesn't actually stock them, they will be able to get them quickly because all the jobbers up here have them. They are very popular for good reason.

Again, Welcome to Vermont. Glad to have you here.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    C.R. just came out with another tire review. Its top 3 are:
    Michelin X ice XI 2
    General ALTIMAX Artic
    Nokian Hakkapeliitta PA 3

It cautions that if you buy studdable tires, have them studded or they're little
    better than good all seasons.

4th place is Michelin Primacy Alpin PA 3 (which has a higher "H" speed rating)

I have read this review myself and C.R. can be a good source to start your search but take any review with a grain of salt. You're driving conditions, vehicle and driving style may be quite a bit different than those used in review tests.
    Low Prices! More Choices! FREE Shipping!
    At The Store: www.discounttire.com
    To Your Door: www.discounttiredirect.com

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Found a Lower Delivered Price?

Useful Links:
    Tire Size Calculator
    Current Promotions
    Interactive Wheel System
    Wheels & Tires 101

10. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements