Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

'07 CR-V TPMS Sensors Transferable?

10K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  bwwoodard 
#1 ·
Hi All, I've been in the Honda Family for quite some time now. My wife and I recently purchased an '07 CR-V EX-L with Navi a few weeks ago to replace our '05 Accord (we needed more room). I had installed a set of aftermarket wheels on my wifes Accord and since selling it, the wheels have been left sitting in the basement collecting dust. My question is, would it be possible to have the dealer transfer the existing TPMS sensors to the new wheels? I've been a member of the Acurazine forums for a long time now and it appears that the Acura sensors are transferrable. I am confused because when I called my honda service advisor, he said that the sensors are not removable because one they are removed they are ruined, is this true?

#3 ·
Thanks for the input Red, it's quite confusing when you hear two opposing viewpoints on the same issue. Hopefully we'll have more comments from those that have done this :D But since the '07 model is so new, there may not be many who swapped out to new wheels yet.

#4 ·
I have a similar problem. I have 2007 CR-V LX. It comes with factory steel wheels. Supposedly (and believe me this could easily be wrong - I heard it from tirerack) these wheels have TPMS sensors that can not be transferred to new whees because the steel wheels sensors have the wrong valve stem angle. Ok, so I buy new sensors (wicked expensive, by the way), right? Well, no one I talk to knows how to get the new sensors to work. According to Honda, some simple test equipment is necessary to read the id's in the new sensors and feed them into the cars computer system. Blank stares from every wheel shop I have been to. And I have been to half a dozen already. Folks have offered to bypass the system (not an option to me) and do other crazy things. Has anyone replace the wheels on an LX? Who did you go to? How did they do it? This is killing me....

#5 ·
TPMS sensors

You are right about the LX sensors (steel wheels) and the EX (alloy wheels). They are NOT identical because of the angle they come out. Did you try ebay ? I saw some sensors for the CR-V the other day for 40 dollars for the set ?

I have been told by a reputable Honda service department that the sensors need to be linked to the CR-V and that for now,in general, they are the only ones that have the equipment to do this linking. (most independent tire shops do not have this equipment). They charge 0.5 hours to do the work.

Thus, for anyone who will be switching a full set of tires and wheels for winter, they will need to make a visit to the dealer OR their neighborhood tire dealer will need to invest some significant money to purchase the TPMS tool and other equipment to link to the vehicle.

Is it legal to withold very expensive equipment from independent dealers ? This will be a huge issue in the very near future as vehicles must have TPMS.

#6 ·
I posted a similar question. I got new wheels and tires for my 2007 CRV and I knew nothing of the TPMS and now my light is on, I wonder if I could switch the valves to my new tires?

#9 ·
tpms

Hi! Got my CRV Lx 2007 last Feb., never had any problem with my TPMS but after changing it to alloy wheel...the TPMS light went on and off. But lately, did try to do some testing myself with the tire pressure(i use a digital tire gauge)...maintaining 34.5 psi on all four tires did shut off that TPMS light.:)

hey alexander,

did you transfer OEM tpms sensors to your aftermarket wheels? or did u buy sensors from the place you got your wheels? how were you sure that they fit?

#11 ·
I may be a bit late on this, but after I got my '07 LX 4WD in Dec. '06 one of the first things I did was change out the wheels to American Racing rims. Kept the stock Conti's. My dealer (Discount Tire) moved the TPMS units to the new wheels and they fit with no problem. Since then the TPMS light has come on only once, after I had taken it thru a car wash. Reset all the pressures to 35 psi and no problems since.

#13 ·
I just used my air compressor and WallyWorld tire gauge and filled them all up to 35 psi, which happens to be the normal tire pressure I use on all our cars. After about 15-20 miles I noticed the TPMS monitor light had gone out. Maybe I just got lucky? BTW the A/R wheels I used were called "Sniper" IIRC, and the LX sensors seemed to fit this particular application well. YMMV.

#14 ·
No you won't ruin your sensors by swapping them to different rims, but just make sure they fit the correct valve stem angle or you could have problems (ie they may not seal properly or you may damage the sensor itself). The reason why they say that you'll ruin the sensor is that they have a small crush washer on the valve stem which helps to make a seal. The part may be available at the dealer but if not you can use a tiny amount of RTV to make it seal completely.

Here's the sensor install info:
http://www.handa-accessories.com/crv/07whl.pdf

#15 ·
Lug nut change? 2007-2009

On the 2007-2009 LX, when switching from the factory steel wheel to the EX aluminum wheel, do the lug nuts need to be changed as well? I'm sure there is experience with this topic, and I was wondering if I need to plan on buying a new set of lugs when I buy the EX aluminum wheels.

Please let me know your experience with this.

Thanks!
Byron

#16 ·
The Lug Nuts Have Different Part Numbers

I checked San Leandro and HondaPartsDeals, and all I can tell you is that they have different part numbers. That really doesn't answer your question though. I don't know if the lug nut geometry is different or if the difference is just in appearance.

As you indicated, we have had a number of LX owners buy alloy wheels, so someone should be able to answer your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.