Two types of Michelin Latitude Tour tires ???
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Two types of Michelin Latitude Tour tires ???

crv|oc Rank: Member

Two types of Michelin Latitude Tour tires ???

I am planning to buy a set of Michelin Latitude Tour for the replacement of OEM tires in my 07 CRV EXL from tirerack. It has listed two types of Michelin Latitude Tour while I search using the vehicle type, but with a price difference of 22$ each. I can see a difference in load carrying capacity, but nothing else. Can you experts help me understand which one is better. The total savings could be 22X4 + 48 = 136$ for me ( I can pick up the cheaper one from a near by location.)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...ting=S&tab=All

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    tire rack just listed michelin latitude, doesnt say which model. you can call or email them and ask for the exact model name so you can decide which is right for you.

there's about 7 different model of the michelin latitude series.
    you're probably referring to the latitude tour and latitude tour HP?? if yes, the HP model is more for sports cars/high peformance.
    latitude sport is more of summer tire.
    they have latitude alpin and x-ice, they're winter tires.

you can go to www.michelin.com and look up the description for each tire and see which one suits you best.
    Last edited by jeprox; 10-12-2009 at 12:09 PM.
    2007 LX 2wd - Royal Blue Pearl

INfo

Thanks for the response..
    They do have mentioned "Michelin Latitude Tour (Highway All-Season)" as the model in both the listings. One is "special" and other is not.

Just talked to a local tire retailer and a CS rep at Michelin. The difference is due to a reported issue with the prior (now cheaper) version = performance handling due to a sidewall that can be stronger. The new version is 5 lbs heavier than the previous tire, with much of the weight put in the sidewall. Due to this change, the load rating is a bit higher and the max load is over 100 lbs higher. So, for about twenty bucks you get five more pounds of tire (about a 20% increase) that can handle a heavier load. Seeing both side by side, the tread pattern is pretty close to the same between the two tires.

Purchased the prior one

Thanks for the input..I purchased the prior one (149 each before a $70 rebate) and got it installed. Yes you are correct, on tight cornering, we can feel that the vehicle is sagging to that side compared to how it was behaving. But I dont think I will be doing such tight cornering in normal driving conditions.

I drove just 100 miles with the tire..overall smooth, less noisier than the duellers.

Make sure......

Hi, just wondering what does your tire size show? If it's 225/65R17 102T , then OK. If it's 225/65R17 100T , then it will be a problem... In the owners manual, it shows 225/65R17 102T, so when we buy tires we should buy more than 102 of load Index.
    Check about Load Index here,
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35

I was recommended Michelin X terrain by Honda, which is 100T Load index, and my friend found out it is NOT right tire because of 100 load index. If I get car accident and insurance company will find out that I used wrong tire and would be a huge problem.
    My friend told me I have to go with Michelin Latitude tour of 102T one.
    I went to Honda to tell them about this and they didn't know about it!! They said [ Thank you for letting us know, this is really good information. ]

Anyway, I just wanted to say make sure your tire size is 225/65R17 102T.

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    ^ ^ ^ ^

The "102" load rating number is the maximum that the tire can hold at the maximum inflated pressure (on the tire sidewall).

Generally the manufacturers specify a lower pressure than what is on the sidewall. (EG, our OE tires on the '06 had a sidewall max pressure of 44 PSI but Honda specified 29 PSI up to the full rated load of the car)

So if you got the "100" rated tire and put a few extra pounds of air in it, you would not be overloading the tires, even when the car is loaded up for a vacation.

Owww! My lawyer just smacked me in the back of the head and told me to add "YMMV" and "JMHO".
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

Never buy a car you can't push.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore

Tire Rack on Latitude Tour's

Called Tire Rack today and asked about the two versions of Latitude Tour's in CR-V size. Big surprise to me that the 100T is the current model and the 102T is being phased out. The rep advised not to buy the old model, 102T for two reasons, that if you need to replace one you will soon be out of luck, and the newer model is cheaper, lighter, and gets better mileage.

So I asked, How can this be? The old model has mileage rating of only 600, new one 720; old has no LRR: rating, (Low rolling resistance), new has Green X which means it uses less gas, and the old is priced higher because they are in short supply, new are priced lower because they can get all they want.

Then about the load rating: Another big surprise, it is only on LT (Light Truck) tires that the load rating must be at the maximum pressure rating; and, on standard load tires they are rated at a pressure of 32 no matter what is on the sidewall!

About insurance denying a claim for not having tires of the exact numbers on the placard? Or police caring? He laughed and said not.

And lastly, the load ratings are: 100T 1,764 lbs PER TIRE! That would be about 7,056 pounds; or, roughly twice the advertised weight of the CR-V of about 3,400 lbs. For the 102T it is 1,874 lbs per tire. That would about 7,496, still roughly twice the vehicle weight.

I hope someone can make sense of all this?

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    I have the Michelin Latitude Tour tire, with the 100T rating on my CRV. It drives fine. Regarding the load rating difference, the door sticker says 30 pounds, I make sure the tire pressure is always 31 pounds after the car has sat overnight, which partially makes up for the load rating difference. The tire dealer I bought the tires from told me the same basic story as what Tire Rack told downunder47.

As far the full rated tire load goes, I believe there are times when the tires are subjected to extremely highly loads, such as maximum braking, and very large bumps or potholes. Maybe that is where the concern for these unusually high load ratings comes from.

Hmmmm, not sure why people have been told to buy the Michelin Latitude Tour 100T tires. I just called Michelin and was told not to use them on my CR-V if it is calling for 102T on the specs. I was told by the Michelin representative I should use the 102T. The 100T tires are marked P225/65 R17, the 102T are marked just 225/65 R17, note there is no P before the lettering. These tires have a different Item number. The correct item number for the Michelin Latitude Tour 102T tires is No: 13774. This is Michelin's number and the number used by tire dealers to order them. I was told that the big stores such as COSTCO etc. use their own item numbers and I cannot verify what they may use. Check the markings/lettering on the tires.

I have decided to buy these Michelin Latitude Tour 102T tires next week as the EOM Bridgestone tires are getting worn out after 40,000 miles. These were noisy and I'm looking forward to a quieter ride. The best quote I have received so far is $196 each installed. Add tax and $60 for an alignment.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements