Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How-to: LED license plate light (with pics)

47K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  ilovemyhonda88 
#1 · (Edited)
I didn't care for the noticably yellowish light from the rear license plate bulb of my 2011 SE. My white paint color makes the yellowness stand out even more. Therefore, I decided to replace the stock incandescent (filament) bulb with an LED bulb as found in higher-end vehicles, like Lexus...LED's emit light which is brighter and whiter than filament bulbs.

This mod applies to the 2007-2011 CR-V; don't know about the other years. I bought the bulb from V-LEDS since I had good results with their bulbs before (LED interior map/dome light mod). I went with this 2-LED bulb (Part ID: 194_2_HPF_W_5K) at $9/pair. For the 2007-2011 CR-V, you only need one bulb, but they only sell them in a pack of two.

Stock (type 194) vs LED bulb...

Install is very easy (NO tools required) and can be done in less than a minute. Here is a post I made describing how to access the license plate bulb for replacement...
REPLACING LICENSE PLATE BULB ON A 2007-2011 CR-V

When plugging in LED bulb, install with the LED's (yellow dots) facing down...

Comparison of stock vs LED...

The LED bulb is a little brighter and much whiter than the stock bulb. Notice that the ground behind and below the bumper is better lit as well with the LED bulb.

I think this mod really improves the look of the rear of the car for not too much money. My CR-V actually looks Taffeta White at night now instead of a pale yellow. If you want a more drastic effect, V-LEDS sells a 4-LED bulb. I actually tried that one out but felt that it was a little TOO bright.

See less See more
#3 ·
Have you looked into getting LEDs for all the running lights?
I actuallly have, especially the back-up lights. However, they are quite expensive (>$50/pair). From what I've read, they are not that much brighter than stock. More importantly, there are concerns that the reduced current draw from LED bulbs may trigger warning lights and/or rapid blinking in which case you have to wire in a load resistor. Too much risk/trouble for me.:)

Nice mod! Why you would want the cops to have a better view of your plate is another question. ;)
If that was my concern, I would have wired in an on/off switch.:D

#4 ·
Get the right LED

I also did this mod. One thing I would recommend is choosing the right style led bulb. Since the CR-V bulb orientation is facing out and not down, make sure the led faces down as well. I purchased one that had the leds facing out and really didn't illuminate the plate at all. I have since purchased a bulb like posted by the op, then I get to go through the joy and knuckle busting of removing the old bulb and installing the new. Thanks for the great instructions btw.

#5 · (Edited)
#7 ·
2012CRVJOHNBEST, I can't really comment on the link you are talking about since I haven't tried them.

If you are looking for LED's for both license plates as well as interior, the ones from CollegeHillsHonda definitely work since that's the ones I'm using. They pretty much resell SuperBrightLED's (http://www.superbrightleds.com/) for the same price. I just ordered from CollegeHillsHonda since that's where I also ordered my gentex mirror.

Here is the link to CollegeHillsHonda.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/honda-crv-accessories/2012-honda-cr-v-aftermarket-parts.htm

For the license plates you'll want the "High Power 5 LED Wedge" and for the interior you'll want the "High Power LED Festoon".

The pictures on their website is pretty accurate:

#8 · (Edited)
For the license plates you'll want the "High Power 5 LED Wedge"
]
Must be weak light output on those 5 LED bulbs.
I went with the same two LED from VLEDs that kontai69 used.Not too bright.Just white.Perfect!
All my LEDs in my vehicles are from VLEDs.Quality stuff.

#10 ·
I have done this to my 2000 CR-V. Rear number plate lights and front parking lights, my X350 Jaguar and the rear number plate lights on Lady GMads Smart Roadster (the front parking lights are LED as standard).
In fact I can do this to anyones car (who lives reasonably close to me), as I have a rather large stock of 501 SMD LED bulbs..
Give me a shout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.