2003 CR-V Audio System
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2003 CR-V Audio System

crv|oc Rank: Member

2003 CR-V Audio System

First off, I apologize if this is not in the right forum section, but it seemed about right from what I could tell.

I have been working on a full rebuild for my CR-V's audio system (its a 2003). The first phase of the installation was completed during this winter and included a new head unit as well as new speakers for all four doors. Given the limited number of changes that needed to be done, this was pretty quick work. From my experience, the hardest task was matching up and then soldering all the wires from the car's wire harness to the wires in the new stereo's plug. The second step of the upgrade is what I find myself in right now - adding a subwoofer and an amplifier.

Phase I items:
    • Kenwood Excelon KDC-X395
    • Polk Audio db651s

Phase II items
    • MDF custom speaker box
    • Pioneer GM 5500T
    • Pioneer TS-W309D4

I would say that I am about halfway through the second part of the build at this point. I decided to go with a sub where the table in the back used to be and a false floor directly over the old floor (need the extra 3/4 of an inch to fit the box in). Yesterday was spent cutting the pieces for the box with what tools I had access to - a circular saw, jigsaw, and a straightedge. Today was build day and got the box all put together and put silicone on all of the edges just to be sure I have a good seal. I also got the false floor cut out of an extra half-sheet of MDF that I had in preparation for tomorrow's work. Pics will be up tomorrow of the Phase I as well as the work so far with the sub.

Moving forward, final touches will be made to the new floor of the trunk area, cutting a hole in the floor so it is just over the hole in the sub box, and running all of the wiring. My question to all of you guys is where the best place to get power wires through the firewall is? I looked around some and found an unused plug on the passenger side of the car just beyond the wheel (and below the steering boot?) but I am not sure if anything would be on the other side of it or if that would be a good spot to run wires. I would appreciate any suggestions on better places to run the power wires. If it helps, I am going to need to be running two 10 gauge wires through the firewall to power the amp.

Thanks for the input,
    Frosted

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Took a few pictures of the past couple day's work.

Replacement for factory radio (done a while ago)
    Name:  DSC01004.jpg
Views: 2235
Size:  32.1 KB
    Completed subwoofer box (rectangular hole will be covered by the new floor)
    Name:  DSC01003.jpg
Views: 1781
Size:  23.6 KB
    Test fitting the new floor
    Name:  DSC01006.jpg
Views: 1937
Size:  32.3 KB
    Floor with handholds and speaker hole cut out (poorly focused)
    Name:  DSC01007.jpg
Views: 1858
Size:  16.4 KB

For tomorrow I plan to add carpeting to the new floor and also remove the passenger seat to install the amplifier under it. Will also need to do some final tweaking so that the speaker fits well in the hole in the floor and then screw the subwoofer box to the floor.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements