dead crv
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dead crv

crv|oc Rank: Member

dead crv

I need help, I just replaced the engine in my 04 crv. the motor is a salvage with only 24,000 miles. The motor came complete with all wiring, exhaust and intake. I just had to use my old accessories. the car will crank, but no fire, plenty of fuel smell. Pulled a plug and it was wet with fuel, tested for spark but saw none. Dealer said i might need to have the computer reprogrammed. any help? I was hoping for plug and play.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

hey im new to the forum but i work on hondas daily and do tons of swaps. did you check the dizzy ? is it timed correctly ? also are you positive the motor was a running motor before it was picked?
    Last edited by mjc1991; 01-23-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Timing!!!!!!!!!!!!

did you ever figure it out, just had the same problem with my crx and i had to put a new dizzy on..
    1998 CRV 4WD manual
    2003 CIVIC automatic ( sold )
    1988 CRX manual

MJC, the K-series doesn't have a distributor. It's coil on plug ignition, which means it just has a cam angle sensor. Also, the ignition timing is done through the sensor, so unless you installed it upside down (pretty much impossible), the timing is set by the ECU.

The dealer is right, you need the ECU reprogrammed. Each ECU is locked to an RFID chip in the owner's key. If the ECU doesn't get the right signal, the ignition system won't fire (hence the fuel, but not spark). Either reinstall your old ECU, or have your car towed to the closest Honda dealership and have them program your ECU to the key (only a dealership can do it, they have the right computer). Make sure you have all the paperwork for your car and engine so you can prove you legally bought the motor. The entire point of this system is to prevent auto thefts. Older Hondas are known for being really easy to steal and this was Honda's response.
    "When's the 240 going to be done?" "Tuesday. Just not sure which Tuesday..."

"I really like going fast. Just go off and meditate in the wind, you know? As corny as it sounds it works and feels good. It's a good way to just let the weight of the world off every once in a while." -James Hetfield

7. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements